General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

riding center line

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 09:12 AM
baldjohnny
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: riding center line

Left 3rd, want the **** who's getting ready to pass in the oncoming lane to see my headlights before he makes his move. Let's the driver in front of me see me in his drivers side rearview mirror, but not so close I'll take a mirror in the chops from a oncoming driver. Curves, on the middle or inside in case the oncoming driver decides to cut the lane on his turn. Works for me, not into taking another vehicle head on[sm=badbadbad.gif].

Old 05-01-2008, 09:14 AM
irishviking
Cruiser

Ok all good I also like to be more to the center at night. I hope I have a little more room between me and the deer. They can cross from either side. If a car is approaching I slide back to the center of my lane at night.

Old 05-01-2008, 09:22 AM
USMCAmmoMan
Intermediate

Lane is bronken into 3 portions, you ride where you can SEE (Search Evaluate & Execute) and be seen. I don't believe there is a set location, the road and conditions are ever changing and you must change with them.

Ride Safe All!

Old 05-01-2008, 09:47 AM
captain m
Road Master

If I'm out for a solo ride I use the whole lane depending on the situation.(Curves, traffic,weather ,etc.)If I'm in a pack,I'll follow the stagger unless I'm last, then it's the whole lane.At night ,slower and towards the center to get the jump on our furry friends.Side by side,it doesn't really matter...

Old 05-01-2008, 09:52 AM
boone432
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: USMCAmmoMan

Lane is bronken into 3 portions, you ride where you can SEE (Search Evaluate & Execute) and be seen. I don't believe there is a set location, the road and conditions are ever changing and you must change with them.

Ride Safe All!
That's exactly my thoughts!!!! I never ride the center line, but I'm always floating about in my lane according to road conditions and traffic!! My father in law is always preaching about riding in the left side of the lane!!! Always!!! And its so annoying. Of I try to tell him my thoughts, of course I'm wrong and he's right. I just adjust my position for what's coming up.

Old 05-01-2008, 09:53 AM
testifer
Road Master

tons of deer where i live, i stay on the left groove to give me a chance to avoid them from either side, at night, i am in the middle of the road until a car comes, just better to maybe avoid a collision with one of them 4 legged bastards...not to mention all the turkey on the side of the road..i do not feel safe riding the right side, you have no where to go if u need to manuver

Old 05-01-2008, 10:23 AM
Ceegardave
Advanced

ORIGINAL: ss377

(snip) Had a girl in the opposite lane come into my lane to go around a postal worker instead of letting the on coming line of traffic pass. She said I still had plenty of room. Not a smart alec just dumb, she thought because my bike was smaller, I didn't need all of my lane.
This is one of my pet peeves. An obstruction in the opposing lane suddenly becomes MY problem when they veer over the centerline with the assumption that I don't have a right to the entire lane of traffic. Most times they don't even slow down, just swerve. That's when they get the horn, the ubiquitous "you're number one" hand signal ( and maybe a shout of (expletive deleted).
As far as riding the centerline, just last week in the cage on the superslab, three bikes in the fast lane were holding up traffic by traveling just over the speed limit, forcing drivers to pass on the right. The rearmost rider's handlebars were over the dotted center stripe, which appeared to intimidate some of the passers. More than a few actually drifted into the emergency lane to give this moron enough space.

Old 05-01-2008, 10:28 AM
cardboard
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Why do so many folks worry about what everybody else does or doesn't do ? Take care of yerself. Don't mama us.
Think we left our house and can make our own decesions.

Old 05-01-2008, 10:37 AM
Phrogman
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I do ride the left portion of my lane, but I never actually ride the center-line. As others have said, there are parts of the bike that stick out further than my tires. In my book that borders on attempted suicide. I've seen too many cagers drift onto and even over the center-line while reaching for their cell phone, changing CDs or turning around to deal with children, etc...

Old 05-01-2008, 11:45 AM
Draggin S
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well,

Every 10 foot stretch of road is different from the last 10 feet.....look around and ride according to what's there....anybody that says "I always" do this or that is already screwed.......

Quick Reply: riding center line