General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

riding center line

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 01:28 PM
skootchnc
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 503 Likes on 261 Posts
Default RE: riding center line

sounds like a lot of new or inexperienced riders to me..... show me a rider who rides the centerline.... and I'll show you me.... making a quick exit...

Old 04-30-2008, 01:31 PM
MetalSpike
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

ORIGINAL: ILTim

In my cage, if an oncoming driver wants to put rubber on the centerline, I'll do it too. Nuff said.

I see way to many bikes doing this.
[sm=badidea.gif]

Old 04-30-2008, 01:42 PM
Jrsess
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 69 Likes on 63 Posts

Good lord! No Way!![sm=jawdrop.gif]

Old 04-30-2008, 02:07 PM
R1Geezrglide
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Years ago, I was riding my GSXR1100 with a group of friends through a state park. I was third in line going through a left hand sweeper leaned over pretty hard when half way around the turn there is a Ford Taurus 2ft over the centerline. I managed to lift and move my line to the very outside edge of the pavement. Icompleted the move as we met. The rider behind me pulled to the edge and stopped. As we regrouped, the rider behind me was visibly shaken and described how the car missed taking my head off by just inches. Of course the cage kept going and didn't pull back into his lane until he got around the corner. Riding the centerline is a very foolish thing to do. I was on the outer edge and with a hard lean still almost lost my head-literally!

Old 04-30-2008, 02:14 PM
Tony P
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 350 Likes on 217 Posts

ORIGINAL: R1Geezrglide

Years ago, I was riding my GSXR1100 with a group of friends through a state park. I was third in line going through a left hand sweeper leaned over pretty hard when half way around the turn there is a Ford Taurus 2ft over the centerline. I managed to lift and move my line to the very outside edge of the pavement. Icompleted the move as we met. The rider behind me pulled to the edge and stopped. As we regrouped, the rider behind me was visibly shaken and described how the car missed taking my head off by just inches. Of course the cage kept going and didn't pull back into his lane until he got around the corner. Riding the centerline is a very foolish thing to do. I was on the outer edge and with a hard lean still almost lost my head-literally!
Ride the center line at Deals Gap and guess how long you'll live...

Old 04-30-2008, 02:25 PM
Lincoln33
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think you see it a lot because there are more inexperienced riders on the road. Hopefully they'll figure out what their doing wrong before they learn the hard way.

Old 04-30-2008, 02:33 PM
irishviking
Cruiser

I always ride the in the left 3rd of the lane. Not on the center line but but like 2/3rds of the way in my lane. Is that what we are talking about? I like to defend my lane so cagers dont try to shortcut a pass and push me over is that wrong? Ive been riding for 25 years and was taught that in my AMA/MSF course while in the army.

Old 04-30-2008, 02:48 PM
albertasaurus
Road Master
Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

ORIGINAL: irishviking

I always ride the in the left 3rd of the lane. Not on the center line but but like 2/3rds of the way in my lane. Is that what we are talking about? I like to defend my lane so cagers dont try to shortcut a pass and push me over is that wrong? Ive been riding for 25 years and was taught that in my AMA/MSF course while in the army.
Same here. Ride just to the left of the grease in the centre of your lane.

Old 04-30-2008, 02:58 PM
ss377
Road Captain

It's hard to defend your space with 600 pound bike against a 3,000 pound car when the driver is paying little attention or don't care. I try to stay on the right half of my lane, especially on secondary roads. On right hand curves, oncoming traffic always seems to ride or cross the center line. I've had them do this when I am in my truck and they always seem startled and get back on their side rather swiftly. But, when this happenson my bike, for some reason, they stay there. Had a girl in the opposit lane come into my lane to go around a postal worker instead of letting the on coming line of traffic pass. She said I still had plenty of room. Not a smart alec just dumb, she thought because my bike was smaller, I didn't need all of my lane.

Old 04-30-2008, 03:20 PM
wind rider
Tourer

I'm 41 yrs old, been riding since I could hold up a dirt bike lol, hehe, it's easier from a stumpI always , unless in a group, ride the right tire track of my lane. I dont like cagers always riding the center line or in my lane , so I stay over.

Quick Reply: riding center line