General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do your sons/daughters want Harleys?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 11:30 AM
69z28
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Do your sons/daughters want Harleys?

My son is still in college,but he would love to have his own.I thought about getting him one for graduation but I have mixed feelings about it.He doesn't ride yet so a safety course would be a must. I'll have to give it some more thought.

Old 04-30-2008, 11:47 AM
sailnjay
Road Captain

My 18 year old son is riding an old Shadow right now until he can afford somthing better. He really wants a Buell but he was with me at the dealer the other day and fell in love with a blue Cross Bones. So maybe there is still hope.

Jay

Old 04-30-2008, 11:50 AM
TequilaJohn
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My son's 12 and has been ridin with me since he was 8...not so much in the last year or so tho. All he seems to be interested in right now is a four-wheeler ATV. We're gonna go out and take a look-see at some of those this weekend. When he does ride with me, he loves it...and he drools over the Nightster at the local dealer...so, I'm figgerin he'll be on one sooner or later. I believe he thinks it'll be easier to learn to ride on four wheels...but I told him nuttin he learns on that will apply to a bike...but he IS 12 now, and therefore, knows way more than his old man...ya know, like we did when we were 12. hehe I know my old man is just lovin this **** right now. BWAHAHAA!

Old 04-30-2008, 11:51 AM
RoyalTexan
Novice

26 yo son has a Ducati... He likes that I ride Harley's... thinks it's cool to tell his buddies that his mom is a HD girl...

Old 04-30-2008, 12:57 PM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 662 Likes on 412 Posts

My 20 year old daughter wants to learn to ride. She likes sportbikes and has nointerest in Harleys. Attracting younger riders to replace aging baby boomers is one of theMoCo's challenges going forward. Buell is moving in the right direction, but they won't make a dent in this segment until they get intoAMA or MotoGPracing. As the saying goes, whatever wins on Sunday sells on Monday.

Old 04-30-2008, 01:23 PM
Fat Henry
Road Warrior

My son would love to have a Harley. As soon as he starts to show me some maturity I'll help him out.

Old 04-30-2008, 01:35 PM
big_al
Elite HDF Member

my 19 year old wants a gixeer 1000 in a really bad way, he does not care for harleys he says that they are for old people!!!!

Old 04-30-2008, 01:43 PM
RDKingRider
Extreme HDF Member

Our married 26 year old is laying dibs on mom's new heritage. He would love to have one, but with a house payment just not the right time. Wife and I said if a good used bike comes along, we just might help me out. We had thought about keeping the sporty, but he really didn't like it

Old 04-30-2008, 01:50 PM
phipps66
Advanced

My dads son(me)started out on a sport bike. I bought a harley last year and have both. I ride and love both equally. My dad, myself, and my brother all ride together, we all ride have harleys. Its not that the younger generation isn't attracted to harleys, they just can't afford them.

Old 04-30-2008, 02:40 PM
Fred00
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: phipps66
Its not that the younger generation isn't attracted to harleys, they just can't afford them.
I don't think that's entirely true. Lots of young guys buy new sportbikes, and for the same $$$ they could get a new Sportster or a low mileage BT nowadays. I think it's more about preference than a money issue. Most of the sportbike guys I know wouldn't even consider a Harley.

Quick Reply: Do your sons/daughters want Harleys?