General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Xzilon?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 09:11 PM
rbickford
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Xzilon?

This guarantee includes all external surfaces except the pipes due to heat considerations. Where do you get the other alternatives you listed? The dealer is selling the Xzilon for $300 +.

Old 04-28-2008, 10:35 PM
FXSTI Guy
Banned

It's SNAKE OIL...this post sounds to me like your trying to sell this crap...F'in spammer [:@]
ORIGINAL: rbickford

This guarantee includes all external surfaces except the pipes due to heat considerations. Where do you get the other alternatives you listed? The dealer is selling the Xzilon for $300 +.

Old 04-29-2008, 10:46 AM
ConnMan
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: rbickford

You can find just about anything at autogeek.net. As far as this Xzilon crapgoes, for the last time, if you want to throw your money away, go right ahead. You're buying paint insurance that, trust me, you won't be able to use, and even if you ever had a claim, you won't be pleased with the repair.

Old 04-29-2008, 08:21 PM
rbickford
Cruiser

Thanks for the insults and personal slander. I am just looking for someone who has actually had it applied to their bike. Your opinions are what they are, but I'm still not seeing any personal experience that I can use from someone who owns a bike that has had an application. Call me whatever names you choose, I'm not selling the stuff, just looking for an honest opinion from someone who has person experience as opposed to a strong opinion based on something else.

Old 04-29-2008, 11:33 PM
FatTony
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 153 Likes on 120 Posts

Any of those so-called paint protectors are nothing more than a glorified wax and a total waste of money.

Old 04-29-2008, 11:53 PM
davewear
Road Warrior
Received 197 Likes on 135 Posts

here's a review i found of it..... it's from a car forum so take it for what it's worth....

Alright here goes. You can take everything I say with a grain of salt, I am just giving you my experience as a detailer. I see XZILON on a lot of cars that I detail so here is the breakdown.

1) It's a high durabilty sealant that will normally last 6 months to a year. It *does* bond to the paint in the same way any polymer based sealant will bond to paint (Zaino, UPP, Poorboys sealants, Megs NXT etc... all the same concept. Polymers bond to the surface of the paint to protect it). The bonding process has nothing to do with the kind of paint. Paint sealants will bond to almost any smooth surface - this isn't a new concept. The only difference between the consumer ones and XZILON is that they are higher luster/less durabilty so they need to be re-applied more often.

2) You need to have it re-applied. Their 5-year gaurantee is *NOT* 5 years of durabilty, it's 5 years of free re-application at the dealership. Tell them you want it re-applied every time you show up. In my experience dealerships never have to re-apply it, so you might meet some resistance ("Oh it doesnt need to be" or "Oh we dont do that") Yes it does, and yes they do.

3) Most folks don't know that, so they never have it re-applied which is why XZILON is such a huge money maker for dealerships. $500-$800 for a 2 ounce application of a sealant you can buy online for $15 a bottle. If the customer never has it re-applied that's something like a 5000% profit for them.

4) It protects the same as any locally available sealant. Protects from bird poop, rain, acid rain, the sun, sap, etc...

5) Unfortunately if you read the fine print the warranty is void if you wax or polish your car, which is a bummer. This essentially means once purchased you're stuck with their product. If you wax your car or have it polished they'll tell you the warranty is void.

This is where I move away from facts and get into opinion. It's my opinion that this stuff is a total rip off. Even if you have it re-applied every 6 months you will never see $500 of worth out of it. You can go to pep boys and pick up a bottle of NXT for $16.99 and apply it yourself in 15 minutes every 4 months for 5 years (15 applications) on one bottle. That's $16.99 out of pocket and ~6 hours of work over 5 years to save anywhere from $480-$680. Alternatively you could pay a detailer to clay/polish/seal your car every half-year for the same amount, and that way you essentially get a free clay/polish every 6 months which will keep the car looking great. XZILON will not protect against scratches, swirls, etc.

Don't feel bad - thousands of people opt for this stuff and really it isn't a *bad* thing, it's just a grossly overpriced thing.

Also, if you think I am making any of this up or am crazy, shoot on over to autopia (www.autopia.org) and do a search for Xzilon. You will find lots of threads about it with the same information in my post.

Old 04-30-2008, 12:08 AM
BadBoyFLSTC
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you should get it done! Boy howdy, 5 year guarantee! You can't beat that with a stick brother. Best money you will ever spend.

See, that's all he wanted fellas.

Old 04-30-2008, 09:08 AM
rbickford
Cruiser

Thanks Dave, very helpful.