General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Practice before you purchase??

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 06:25 AM
SE120RG
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Practice before you purchase??

Cant believe what I saw Friday at the dealer. Younger guy purchased a new sporty and was taking it home. Got on the bike, started it up, dumped the clutch, and shot 30 feet across the service drive, over the curb and up onto the grass and dumped it just short of the road. Everyone ok, bike ok. Then he admits to never riding a motorcycle or even using a clutch. The management and the saleman came out and they spent some time with him in the parking lot giving him a "quick lesson". He did get the hang of it and took it home. Saleman followed just to make sure.

I dont think the guy should have been allowed to ride it home. I know we cannot control someones actions, but if that guy got killed that night or even in the near future, I sure would feel like it could of been prevented.

Old 04-27-2008, 06:28 AM
real7jake
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Practice before you purchase??

geez, some people's kids. He's lucky he didn't get killed or kill someone else...poor bike

Old 04-27-2008, 06:30 AM
Bottomend
Banned

Are you suggesting some sort of law?

Old 04-27-2008, 06:48 AM
domenicp7
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

That is just crazy. The buyer and seller need to get a clue. As for the law at least a leaners permit needed toride off the lot. You can haul it off with no endorsement. People buy all the time with no riding time and learn at a MSFcourse(supported) or taught by friends(not supported).

Old 04-27-2008, 06:53 AM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

ORIGINAL: Bottomend

Are you suggesting some sort of law?

God, I hope not! We so many laws now they can't all be enforced.

Old 04-27-2008, 06:57 AM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Should the dealer also people if they really can afford to buy the bike so they don't get into financial trouble? If somone is stupid enough to have never ridden a bike before and attempts to ride their new bke home, then they get no sympathy from me.

Old 04-27-2008, 06:58 AM
SuperBogs
Intermediate

In Florida you can't buy a new or used bike from a dealer without first showing proof that you have a bike license that is suitable for the bike your purchasing.

Old 04-27-2008, 07:00 AM
Fogoms
Road Captain

Now there's a great example of what stupidity and irresponsibility can acheieve when they work together. In my opinion an irresponsible dealer willingly participated in an ill-advised action by a stupid individual. Why on earth would a dealer enable this dimwit to touch the bike again, and on the road no less? Now for you jumpers to conclusions out there, notice I wrote "enable," not "allow." The dealer wouldn't be able to prevent the guy from riding off on his own bike, but rather than enable more of the stupidity by giving him the "quick lesson" I think the responsible thing to have done would have been to deliver the bike to the guy's house (at no charge even) to make sure that he made it in one piece. Maybe they offered, but you didn't say that so I assume that wasn't the case, dunno.

"The salesman followed just to make sure." To make sure of what??? That there'd be someone there to call 911? Geez!

Old 04-27-2008, 07:01 AM
LowriderT
Cruiser

Or was trying out for William Macy's spot in Wild Hogs 2?

Old 04-27-2008, 07:03 AM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

ORIGINAL: Fogoms

Now there's a great example of what stupidity and irresponsibility can acheieve when they work together. In my opinion an irresponsible dealer willingly participated in an ill-advised action by a stupid individual. Why on earth would a dealer enable this dimwit to touch the bike again, and on the road no less? Now for you jumpers to conclusions out there, notice I wrote "enable," not "allow." The dealer wouldn't be able to prevent the guy from riding off on his own bike, but rather than enable more of the stupidity by giving him the "quick lesson" I think the responsible thing to have done would have been to deliver the bike to the guy's house (at no charge even) to make sure that he made it in one piece. Maybe they offered, but you didn't say that so I assume that wasn't the case, dunno.

"The salesman followed just to make sure." To make sure of what??? That there'd be someone there to call 911? Geez!
So you also think that car dealers should deliver vehicles to customers so they don't have a wreck 10 minutes after leaving?

I hear what you're saying,and can understand it. But where does it end? You can not regulate stupidity. They are in the business of selling motorcycles. It's not their liability to make sure everyone that buys one is competent.

Quick Reply: Practice before you purchase??