General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BUILDING OR BUYING A TRAILER

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 05:56 PM
austiny
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BUILDING OR BUYING A TRAILER

My riding buddy has a 2005 Heritage Softail and I have my new FXDI both have bags.
We are both married and the wives do NOT want to ride.

They are not going to turn us handsome dudes lose on the ladies, Ha Ha, which means vacations we must take the bikes behind one of our SUV’S.
I priced some local new trailers that are 6 ft. 5in. wide with ramps. They cost about $900 and are open trailers.
I would like to here from any of you concerning experiences with hauling, as well as all suggestions concerning trailering.

Old 04-25-2008, 06:31 PM
firefighter3666
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: BUILDING OR BUYING A TRAILER

An open trailer will do, but an enclosed one would be better. An open trailer leaves your bike unprotected from road grime, rocks, rain, etc.

If you get the open trailer, plan on adding a solid floor if it doesn't have one. You might also want to consider adding some sort of stone guard to the front of the trailer to protect your machines. Also consider wheel chocks for both bikes and tie down anchors.

Best of luck.

Old 04-25-2008, 07:28 PM
barjbar
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought a used Kendon 2 rail motorcycle trailer for $500 two years ago. Excellent trailer that folds up and stores in the corner of the garage. Look for a used trailer. There's bargains out there.

Old 04-25-2008, 07:36 PM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

dude i own two trailers one that will fit 2 one that will fit 5and I also rent trailers all the time... we are renting a 29ft trailer to take 10 bikes to FL for $35 a day! hunt around... they are out there! ooh ya if you do get an open trailer... DO NOT COVER YOUR BIKE ON IT!!!! it will just get destroyed by the wind on the cover... trust me! if you are only going to use it a few times you may as well just rent... no point in having to worry about hwere to store it while you are not using it

Old 04-25-2008, 07:40 PM
Big Cholla
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Same problem with my wife. She loves to ride around the scenic places but hates the 'A to B' riding to get there. An enclosed trailer with a back door ramp was the perfect solution. The big advantage is that no matter where we are overnighting the bike has its secured, weatherproof garage right there. I have a place for extra luggage and tools. I even carry a spare front tire/wheel for the bike. I don't bother with a spare rear tire/wheel because that is just too much of a job for the field. I put a heavy duty clothes bar across the front of the trailer for a place to hang leathers. It is a good idea to NOT put any identification on the outside of the trailer that wouldgive anyone with ulterior motives any idea what is stored inside. A self locking front wheel chock is a must. I used the 'ProBike Chock', but understand that much less expensive copies are now available from discount tool suppliers. For my one bagger I found that a single axle trailer was just right. For two baggers, I would advise a double axle trailer. These small enclosed trailers are made all over the USA by various manufacturers. Watch quality of construction when buying. This is one product that is often subject to questionable quality of materials and design. ..................... BC

Old 04-25-2008, 08:20 PM
IRideMineEverywhere
Tourer

I know I'm gonna catch hell for this but.......

Silly Yuppie, trailers are for boats.

Old 04-25-2008, 09:15 PM
Big Cholla
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Silly Elitist: E.S.A.D! ............. BC

Old 04-26-2008, 05:54 AM
austiny
Cruiser

Thanks for all the great advice.

“Silly Yuppie”

Sorry IRME to old, must be silly hippie!

But then again I did do the Army thing, and don’t do drugs, and my wife says no way to the free love deal.

Actually I think I am a poser, but not a biker poser, after thinking on it for some time I think I am posing as a human being, but that will only last for a little while longer.
What would you call a Spiritual being having a Human Biker experience?

Old 04-26-2008, 06:05 AM
JBaker421
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I'd get one at least 10' long. I have a trailer that's 4x8'. A Heritage will fit on it but the Wide Glide and the Deuce are slightly longer than 8' and have to go in diagonally. I'm going to be buying a 10x6', inside the fenders.

Also, the tall tailgates made of expanded metal are nice. They make a good ramp. With an enclosed trailer, I'd still want the one piece drop-down tail gate rather than doors that open.

I also want torsion axles rather than leaf springs. They are lower, making the bikes easier to load.

I have a similar issue in that my wife rides her own Wide Glide, but doesn't like to ride it long distances. We'll be trailering occasionally to a destination and then riding in that area.

Old 04-26-2008, 08:06 AM
IRideMineEverywhere
Tourer

ORIGINAL: austiny

Thanks for all the great advice.

“Silly Yuppie”

Sorry IRME to old, must be silly hippie!
You too? My mom found an old pair of my elephant bells a few years ago and gave them to my daughter.... it's amazing how things go around..

But then again I did do the Army thing, and don’t do drugs, and my wife says no way to the free love deal.

Actually I think I am a poser, but not a biker poser, after thinking on it for some time I think I am posing as a human being, but that will only last for a little while longer.
What would you call a Spiritual being having a Human Biker experience?
A Harley rider![sm=biker2.gif]

Quick Reply: BUILDING OR BUYING A TRAILER