Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: A poll
No Helmet
10.47%
Half Helmet (this includes skid lids, skull caps, etc)
42.74%
Three Quarter Helmet (comes down to rear of skull)
19.81%
Full Face Helmet
26.98%
Voters: 1060. You may not vote on this poll

CAST YOUR VOTE!! WHAT KIND OF HELMET DO YOU WEAR?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2006, 01:14 AM
tda69
Stellar HDF Member
Received 78 Likes on 33 Posts
Default RE: CAST YOUR VOTE!! WHAT KIND OF HELMET DO YOU WEAR?

Primo-

Holy crap! I just saw the photos of your bike..and your helmet. You're lucky to be alive! Glad you made it through. Now...are you sure about still riding with a 1/2 helmet?

Old 02-17-2006, 01:21 AM
Cigar Aggie
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got the new H-D Stealth Full Face Helmet that flips up too. After wearing a half for the summer, I decided to go full because it wouldn't take much to really mess up things in a big way. For those who don't wear helmets, here's an idea. Stand on your motorcycle seat, then dive head first into the street. That is the same force that your head will experience in an accident at only 5 mph. I like the flip face helmets esp. when its hot because you can flip them up at stops. Vision is fine (should be turning your head anyway) and I can hear better in the new helmet as there is less wind noise. And for looks? I don't care too much what it looks like, no one is gonna say anything to you when youre riding and when you stop, take the helmet off. Then wear whatever you want to have "the look." But what I really like is when government delivers the mail, provides for the national defense and stays off my oxygen hose! Tired of Big Brother dictating how to live my life!!!! Blah, Blah, Blah!

Old 02-17-2006, 01:22 AM
XGlide
Advanced

I ride everyday on the turkpike and I'm more comfortable with a full face helmet. I did a little research before buying a Scorpion EXO-400. A customer of mine told me about this article in Motorcyclist;

http://motorcyclistonline.com/gearbox/hatz/

I liked the overall design of this helmet and the ease of getting the face shield on and off for cleaning. Two weeks ago a rock fell off a dump truck in front of me, bounced off the road and hit my helmet about an inch below my line of sight. If I didn't have my helmet on, I'm sure my mug would have been ripped open. I like the feel of not riding with a helmet, but I like my face better.

Dave

Old 02-17-2006, 02:21 AM
Rhubarb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Full face always for me.

Used to be a picture on Rotten.com of a guy that bailed on his face. (no lower jaw left, and most of face was goo with his tongue hanging down. Great visual)

That was enough for me to not ever consider anything but the most protection.

I use a Shoei RF-1000 and its lighter than you'd think.

Old 02-17-2006, 02:26 AM
Maniac
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Every once in a while I will use a second coat of hair spray...just in case.

Old 02-17-2006, 02:39 AM
Tinker Bell
Banned

I have both dot half helmet and a novelty helmet. Here in Tennessee we have the "law" and I wear the DOT half. I don't like the weight of the full face mask helmets and they make me fell like i'm in a cave. I like to be able to use all of my senses when I'm riding. I broke my back several years ago and I can't turn my head as far as I used to and the full Face restricts my peripheral vision to much. Plus they are heavy.

Old 02-17-2006, 03:32 AM
tda69
Stellar HDF Member
Received 78 Likes on 33 Posts

The woman who manages the Motorclothes and Accessories Dept at my local dealership has a saying. "It takes a fully evolved rider to wear a full face helmet". No question, I look like Darth Vader at best. Yes, it's hotter in the summer than I'd like. No, I cannot carry on a conversation at the stoplight as easily if I were wearing a skid lid. YES, it is much safer to wear a full face. That is the main reason why I wear one. As pointed out earlier, there are a few other advantages, but safety is the biggest.

Old 02-17-2006, 02:29 PM
sedbiker62
Road Captain

Well thank you Cigar Aggie for your words of wisdom. I respect your choice to wear your new H-D Stealth Full Face Helmet. Your "idea" for those of us who's CHOICE is to go without a helmet was....original. I've been thinking maybe I should convert. First though, if you would stand on your seat, with your stealth on of course, then dive head first into the street I might have yet one more reason to convert to a helmet wearer[sm=smiley11.gif] Let us know how that works for ya.

Steve[sm=icon_rock.gif]
ORIGINAL: Cigar Aggie

Got the new H-D Stealth Full Face Helmet that flips up too. After wearing a half for the summer, I decided to go full because it wouldn't take much to really mess up things in a big way. For those who don't wear helmets, here's an idea. Stand on your motorcycle seat, then dive head first into the street. That is the same force that your head will experience in an accident at only 5 mph. I like the flip face helmets esp. when its hot because you can flip them up at stops. Vision is fine (should be turning your head anyway) and I can hear better in the new helmet as there is less wind noise. And for looks? I don't care too much what it looks like, no one is gonna say anything to you when youre riding and when you stop, take the helmet off. Then wear whatever you want to have "the look." But what I really like is when government delivers the mail, provides for the national defense and stays off my oxygen hose! Tired of Big Brother dictating how to live my life!!!! Blah, Blah, Blah!

Old 02-17-2006, 07:58 PM
Woodyheritage
Cruiser

no helmet except for work (Kennedy Space Center) requires we wear a helmet on site. I have a brain bucket with a DOT sticker. I'm not a stickler about helmet laws I just want the choice for everybody.
Woody

Old 02-17-2006, 08:19 PM
scttgr8
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wear the full face because that was what i was comfortable in...I am on the highway while it is still dark whil riding to work. I am looking at the half carbon fiber helmets for the hot summer rides.

Quick Reply: CAST YOUR VOTE!! WHAT KIND OF HELMET DO YOU WEAR?