General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

This is nothing but cool....

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 12:54 AM
Bluerose
Default This is nothing but cool....

It ain't a Harley and it costs about 55,000 dollars but if I were wheel chair bound I might just be standing in line.

Martian Conquest - the world's first series-manufactured high performance motorcycle that can be driven from a wheelchair.

Old 04-24-2008, 12:59 AM
ebeattie
Road Warrior
Received 74 Likes on 28 Posts
Default RE: This is nothing but cool....

Lol thats pretty bad ***! Think someone will step up to the plate and build a Harley trike version of it?

Old 04-24-2008, 01:12 AM
doc_cj
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My daughter is in a wheelchair but unfortunately not capable of that type of use. But if she were, that would be kind of cool.

While on the topic of bikes and wheelchairs, I need to rant for a moment, please do not park motorcycles on sidewalks, especially if it is near an entrance or a wheelchair ramp. Folks in wheelchairs have enough trouble getting around in our society without someone parking a bike on the sidewalk.

What a lot of riders don't realize is that many sidewalks slant down toward the street, so the wheelchairs want to follow gravity toward the gutter. The slant may not be enough for most able people to notice, but let me tell you that folks in a wheelchair notice. When you park a bike on the sidewalk it often means they have to go closer to the gutter, and a small mistake on the handling means they get dumped on their ***.

Okay ... I don't normally say much about my daughter and her problems or rant about parking, but it's just that recently it seems there have been more bikers parking on the sidewalks locally. So it's been fresh on my mind.

Old 04-24-2008, 04:54 AM
kry226
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very cool.

When I was eight, we lived in an apartment complex in Houston where a disabled biker also lived. He had a custom set-up where he had a side-car mounted to the right side of his bike. The car had handlebars that were connected to the front wheel of the the bike and a ramp that allowed him to roll his wheelchair up into the car, strap it down, pull up the gate and then off he went.

He was a great guy (definitely looked like a "biker") and he always made time to chit chat with us complex rug rats. For an eight year old, it was one of the most amazing things I had ever seen. I sometimes wonder if that guy is still around and still getting the wind in his face.

Old 04-24-2008, 05:22 AM
deadman77
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 89 Posts

Good idea. Very cool for those with the need.

MikeM

Old 04-24-2008, 08:00 AM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

That's pretty cool.

Old 04-24-2008, 09:28 AM
MyFirstHD
Road Master

ORIGINAL: doc_cj

My daughter is in a wheelchair but unfortunately not capable of that type of use. But if she were, that would be kind of cool.

While on the topic of bikes and wheelchairs, I need to rant for a moment, please do not park motorcycles on sidewalks, especially if it is near an entrance or a wheelchair ramp. Folks in wheelchairs have enough trouble getting around in our society without someone parking a bike on the sidewalk.

What a lot of riders don't realize is that many sidewalks slant down toward the street, so the wheelchairs want to follow gravity toward the gutter. The slant may not be enough for most able people to notice, but let me tell you that folks in a wheelchair notice. When you park a bike on the sidewalk it often means they have to go closer to the gutter, and a small mistake on the handling means they get dumped on their ***.

Okay ... I don't normally say much about my daughter and her problems or rant about parking, but it's just that recently it seems there have been more bikers parking on the sidewalks locally. So it's been fresh on my mind.
Now you've got me thinking. There are many bars in my area that let bikes park on the sidewalk in front to the bar. Nobody says anything because some of the bikers are LEO.

Thank you for speaking up.

Old 04-24-2008, 10:31 AM
Bluerose

ORIGINAL: kry226

Very cool.

When I was eight, we lived in an apartment complex in Houston where a disabled biker also lived. He had a custom set-up where he had a side-car mounted to the right side of his bike. The car had handlebars that were connected to the front wheel of the the bike and a ramp that allowed him to roll his wheelchair up into the car, strap it down, pull up the gate and then off he went.

He was a great guy (definitely looked like a "biker") and he always made time to chit chat with us complex rug rats. For an eight year old, it was one of the most amazing things I had ever seen. I sometimes wonder if that guy is still around and still getting the wind in his face.
Used to see one like that right around my work.. Haven't seen him in a while though. Sort of makes you look twice when you see a riderless motorcyclegoing down the rode with a guy in the sidecar

Old 04-24-2008, 10:51 AM
mimo
Extreme HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Now we are talking about real cool engineering...the best!

Old 04-24-2008, 06:26 PM
kry226
Advanced

ORIGINAL: Bluerose

ORIGINAL: kry226

Very cool.

Used to see one like that right around my work.. Haven't seen him in a while though. Sort of makes you look twice when you see a riderless motorcyclegoing down the rode with a guy in the sidecar
It does! I remember the guy used to let us kids get into the side car and stand behind the handlebars and pretend like we were riding. It was the coolest thing.

Quick Reply: This is nothing but cool....