General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Petite woman looking advice on HD purchase

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 02:46 PM
1200babe
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Petite woman looking advice on HD purchase

I am 5'1" and ride a 1200 Sporty but have also owned and ridden a 78 Shovel. You can lower the bike with Progressive shocks front and rear- shave the seat, get buckhorn bars so you can reach the grips more easily, get reduced reach levers, etc. The shortest lady-4"10" I have ever taught to ride now rides on 883 and another one at4"11" rides a dyna low rider. So it can be done. Also check out Vtwinmama.com to read about other lady riders and their quest to find the right bike.

Old 04-23-2008, 02:53 PM
nine11c2
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 54 Likes on 26 Posts

Guys are you really serious about all these Deluxe, Street Glide and such posts? Come on, just because you ride one/likeone/handle one doesn't make it right for a 5'2" 100lb woman. Tanya did not say if she ever rode, but if she hasn't, she's gonna hold up a Deluxe or a Street Glide 3 or 4 seconds before dropping it. While a big guy can keep a bike up with his strength, a smaller woman needs to be a very good rider to ride something that big - never really allowing it to tip or it will tip over.

And you've got to be kidding with the Sporty's are top heavy crap.

She should get a small bike if she's never ridden, and if she's set on a H-D, she should get a Sporty simply because it's the smallest, easiest to ride Harley.

Get real guys or you're gonna get this lovely (using my imagination as instructed) girl hurt!!

Steve

Old 04-23-2008, 02:53 PM
Donny
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree with those that say STAY AWAY FROM A SPORTSTER.they are top heavy andtaller.You'll never be able to lower one enough to be lower than any of the other bikes.
I say try out the softail deluxe, dyna lowrider, and heritage classic.

Old 04-23-2008, 03:13 PM
fxdwg_rugby
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tanya,
My bride to be wanted a bike of her own and she never road before. The suggestion I made was learn on some thing smaler after you take the MSF course. She bought this to learn on: http://johnnypag.com/spyder_300cc.htmlThen we will get her a harley or lower one of my bikes. I cant stress enough to take the saftey couse and get a lighter bike to learn on. She is gaining confidence daily and will have a HD of her own. She now realizes her mistake wanting to learn on a bike that weight 4 - 5 times what she does. She is 5,2" with shorter legs....
BE SAFE and best of luck in your pursuit!

Old 04-23-2008, 10:07 PM
Crossbones
Road Master

you'll find that most of the softtails have the lowest seats, and easliy handled by petite gals. they are well balanced and handle great, making them an easy choice over the others. good luck and let us know what you get. stay safe and enjoy the ride...

Old 04-24-2008, 06:46 AM
Sleeko
Stellar HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 56 Posts

Tanya,do a search ona post called "frustrated" by carolbob. She just went through something similar. Lots of good tips there as well . . .

Old 04-24-2008, 06:55 AM
JBaker421
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

ORIGINAL: GAGirl

+1 on what Twiggy said. I'm 5'2" and ride a Deluxe with the stock seat and haven't lowered it. I ride in the Milwaukee conductor boots with a thick sole and do just fine. Had a 2005 883 Sportster that had been lowered an inch to start with. Tried a Dyna, but didn't like the reach of the bars or the controls. Also tried a Fat Boy and liked it as well. Fell in love with Deluxe and it has the lowest stock height. Like others said, go to the dealer and try a bunch out. Best of luck and welcome to the HDF.
+1. You can gain a couple of inches with some good boots.

Old 04-24-2008, 06:58 AM
wiseguy2day
Road Master

If you don't have your license yet I would suggest getting it through Harley's safety course. They teach you the easiest way to get the bike off the kickstand if you can't 'muscle' it up and they will take you into the dealership they're affiliated with and let you sit on any bike you want. They offered a discount on Sporty's when you completed the class as well. A woman can ride any bike she wants, HD offers lowering kits, different seats, handlebars, etc, etc to get anyone into the saddle.

Old 04-24-2008, 09:46 AM
tanya
6th Gear

Wow, again thanks for all the great advice.Will I be shunned if I start out on a (black) Nightster..[]??That was the only bikeI felt comfortableon (without any of the above modifications) I'm sure b/cof my footing primarily (well lighter too of course). They did teach me at the HD dealer how toget the bikesup off the kickstand (AFTERmuscling one up-ha)...It's the width ofthe Dyna's& Softailsthat gets me.Nightster isnot my dream bike, but I'm thinking until I'm more experienced, maybe it's a good way to start??Later getwhat I reallywant,andmake modifications?

Old 04-24-2008, 09:53 AM
simpkins
Cruiser

Tanya-

There are alot of goodintentions here, but specs cannot help you choose a bike. All H-D's havewhat 2.5 inches difference betwen the lowest and tallest models? This really does not matter. The Sportsters always feel lower because they are narrower. The more you have to spread your legs, the harder it is to reach the ground. Narrow bikes/seats are easier to reach than fat bikes/seats.

Also, everyone's legs/inseams are differnet lengths. Everyone does not sit on a bike the same. Does it matter that the bike is low enough, but has floorboards right in your way?

The only way for you decide what fits you is to sit on them. To heavy? Too Fat? Only you can decide that.

Good luck and have fun deciding. If you want to try out a Street Glide and are near N.E Ohio, let me know.

Quick Reply: Petite woman looking advice on HD purchase