General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Petite woman looking advice on HD purchase

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 11:29 AM
grumpy irish again
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Petite woman looking advice on HD purchase

being you are awomen and small I assume you are also cute so go to any place bikers are and just ask to sit on any number of bikes - no biker worth a darn will refuse a cute little women a
place to park her ---- look around find something that looks good to you then sit on it find out what has been done , get as much info as you can. seats make alarge diff forward or mid controls. forward look scary at first but most that have them wouldn't go any other way.
good luck and welcome to the forum. I have had many small ladies sit on mine and felt very comfy.

[IMG]local://upfiles/5757/1038DB4D22384D63BE9B51DA46AD4416.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-23-2008, 11:32 AM
GeorgiaGirl
Madame Moderator
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

+1 on what Twiggy said. I'm 5'2" and ride a Deluxe with the stock seat and haven't lowered it. I ride in the Milwaukee conductor boots with a thick sole and do just fine. Had a 2005 883 Sportster that had been lowered an inch to start with. Tried a Dyna, but didn't like the reach of the bars or the controls. Also tried a Fat Boy and liked it as well. Fell in love with Deluxe and it has the lowest stock height. Like others said, go to the dealer and try a bunch out. Best of luck and welcome to the HDF.

Old 04-23-2008, 11:36 AM
IdaSpudSG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go to your local dealer and have a salesman walk you around and sit on every bike to see which one fits you the best. Good luck.

Old 04-23-2008, 11:37 AM
Bluzmn59
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had a friend in Chicago that was shorter than you - she rode a Fat Boy that had been lowered.

Old 04-23-2008, 11:37 AM
roofer
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wife is 5'2" she rides a lowrider with chubby 560 handlebars perfect fit for her better than her 883 sportster

Old 04-23-2008, 12:00 PM
ultraultra
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Deluxe.... hands down. It's the lowest stock seat height of any Harley. It is EXTREMELY well balanced. I would avoid a top heavy sportster, it doesn't handle as well. Also, the vibration on the pegs at highway speeds can be anoying. My wife has a Deluxe, and loves it. She is, however, taller than you. But if you notice the other posts on here, many petite ladies with Deluxe's.. and nothing but praise for them.

Old 04-23-2008, 12:22 PM
tanya
6th Gear

Thanks much for all of your quick responses! I actually have sat on most, but will head back to the dealer with these ideas in mind.Regarding the visuals (picture requests)...at this point you'll just have to use your imaginations

Old 04-23-2008, 12:25 PM
wardenwf
Cruiser

I would also go with the Deluxe.To me it is oneof the most beautiful bikes Harley makes. I ride an 07 Street Bob. I like the rubber mounted engine and the general look. After sitting on softails, like the Deluxe, I noticed that they feel lower and more balanced. The Deluxe will also have the B engine so there will be less vibration. I also like the Night Train because of the blacked out engine.It is not as nicely detailed as the Deluxe but still may be an option if you are looking for a more basic look.

Old 04-23-2008, 12:26 PM
GeorgiaGirl
Madame Moderator
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

If you've got your permit, you really should ask to ride as many models as possible, and not just sit on them.

Old 04-23-2008, 12:32 PM
GONZEE
Outstanding HDF Member

low rider. a great ride, great handaling, great bike you would keep it for years. oh and welcome to the forum.

Quick Reply: Petite woman looking advice on HD purchase