Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The biker look and career choice. A question.

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 07:39 AM
ken thompson
The Schlong Man
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default The biker look and career choice. A question.

I see a lot folks during my rides that have what most would call the stereotypical biker look. Either long hair or bald. Facial hair of some kind often a long foo-man-chu tied in rubberbands. Arms sleeved in tats. I think it all looks cool and perhaps would adopt some of that myself if I didn't think I'd immediately be fired from my job.All of the folks that I have met that look like this are very nice, reasonbly intelligent people who seem to have good employment and don't seem to be hurting for cash. Can I askwhatthose of you who fit the above descritpion do for a living?

Old 04-23-2008, 07:41 AM
Terry TK
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 157 Likes on 53 Posts
Default RE: The biker look and career choice. A question.

Retired LEO. All I did was grow a beard though. I've had the bald head for years now.

Old 04-23-2008, 07:43 AM
meanbite
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: ken thompson

I see a lot folks during my rides that have what most would call the stereotypical biker look. Either long hair or bald. Facial hair of some kind often a long foo-man-chu tied in rubberbands. Arms sleeved in tats. I think it all looks cool and perhaps would adopt some of that myself if I didn't think I'd immediately be fired from my job.All of the folks that I have met that look like this are very nice, reasonbly intelligent people who seem to have good employment and don't seem to be hurting for cash. Can I askwhatthose of you who fit the above descritpion do for a living?
I have hair down past my shoulders, a full sleeve, back piece, both my ears are pierced and I have a nose ring on the left side. I don't take out my piercings and I often wear short sleeves, especially on casual friday. I work with multi million dollar contracts for corporate clients building IT departments, designing websites, managing large IT projects and do development. I have to participate in business meetings and manage employees. The way that I look has never had an affect on this because I am damn good at what I do.

Old 04-23-2008, 07:53 AM
wiseguy2day
Road Master

I'm currently working on a full sleeve, both ears pierced, I shave my head bald in the summer and have facial hair. I'm a union plumber. Some of my friends fit the 'stereotypical' biker and they're tradesmen, truckers, factory empoyee/managers and some of them own their own business. I guess the moral of the story is don't judge a book by it's cover!

Old 04-23-2008, 07:54 AM
djwhaley
Road Captain

Why do you want to look like everyone else? If you think you are going to get grief or fired from your job look and see if you have a grooming standard. If you dont do what you what to do, if it doesnt effect you job preformence your hair or beard shouldnt matter. If it was me I would go with the bald on top long on the side (skullet) that way I'd have all the trendy styles at the same time. I have 11 tattoos have just gotten my haircut because it was a pain growing it out and I have been a Firefighter for 18 years.

Old 04-23-2008, 07:58 AM
meanbite
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: djwhaley

Why do you want to look like everyone else? If you think you are going to get grief or fired from your job look and see if you have a grooming standard. If you dont do what you what to do, if it doesnt effect you job preformence your hair or beard shouldnt matter. If it was me I would go with the bald on top long on the side (skullet) that way I'd have all the trendy styles at the same time.
I agree. Most of my friends don't think I look like a biker anyway. I alwas get asked "Are you with the band" but never " are you a biker". Just be yourself. Anyone that doesn't like it can toss off.

Old 04-23-2008, 08:03 AM
TxDeuce
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Shaved head, goatee and stache. No tats. Medical sales.

Old 04-23-2008, 08:12 AM
Cats RKC
Advanced

Facial hair, not long but definately not short hair, large tat of a skull with a bandana and feathers that extend down to my elbow on my right arm. Will get more ink work in the future. I'm an aircraft maintenance inspector on US Army AH-64D Apaches at Ft. Rucker, AL.

Old 04-23-2008, 08:16 AM
faber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Hell, when my colleagues see me grab my helmet and leather jacket when leaving the office, they raise an eyebrow. If I had very long hair, visible ink....

Old 04-23-2008, 08:27 AM
Acobia66
Cruiser

I work in a very large bank andwalk in all the time with my beard, boots,H-D jacket and helmet. I have 9 tats but none are visible with pants and short sleeve shirt. I want a fore arm tat or half sleeve sometime. I'm getting ready to escape the cubicle and pursue welding so I'll get it then. Any welders out there?

Quick Reply: The biker look and career choice. A question.