General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The biker look and career choice. A question.

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 06:28 PM
Graywolf584
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: The biker look and career choice. A question.

Full gray beard, quite a few visible tats, and I dress the same on the weekend as during the work week. Never been a problem as I'm a machinist. My occupation may change in the near future however as the management thinks I would be a good candidate to fill an opening for an estimator. I asked if my appearance would be a problem and was told that if it was, I wouldn't have been asked if I was interested.
Wayne

Old 04-23-2008, 06:29 PM
BadBoyFLSTC
Banned

I'm a disabled veteran. They wouldn't dare fire me.

Old 04-23-2008, 06:29 PM
dubblist
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm in IT too. QA Software Engineer. Both arms have sleeves and I wear short sleeve shirts everyday. No one cares because IT is usually stuffed in a corner somewhere. I also wear half inch plugs in my ears. My work speaks for itself and my company doesnt judge.

Old 04-23-2008, 06:43 PM
anubisss
Banned
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Long sleeves were made to cover sleeves. I work in Property Management and only hide my sleeves when my boss comes to meet with me or I go to the office which isn't all that often(1 hour a week at the most). Otherwise all my tennats know I have ink. I think the little old ladies feel safer with me around.

Old 04-23-2008, 06:48 PM
mountainpharm
Road Captain

Re: biker look

I do this to a degree. When I ride, I will likely put on a sleeveless t-shirt (to show the ink), jeans, boots, etc. in part to offer myself some anonymity. I'm sure this is true with other professions as well, but when you work in health care everybody seems to want to talk to you about their sickness, their medication, their insurance. If I'm in my working clothes (i.e. scrubs) I can't go anywhere without someone telling me about whatever new ailment they have. I never get a break from it. I often wonder if people really see me in only that one dimension. At times I think people just try to make conversation, health care is on everyone's mind and is therefore an easy ice breaker. My only escape is to assume my alter ego so no one will know what I do for a living. And it is a welcome escape, indeed.

Old 04-23-2008, 06:54 PM
cookiemech
Road Captain
Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

I'm an electrical engineer working as a civilian doing work for a government contractor. Shaggy beard and short hair. Used to have it down to my shoulders, but I'm old now (51) and it thinned out to where it didn't work any more. Not willing to change my appearance for someone else's standards, like in junior high school. Maybe I'd make more money if I had the right "look". Don't care.

Old 04-23-2008, 07:10 PM
fbhawg
Tourer

Nobody gove a shoot if you look like a monkey!

Old 04-23-2008, 07:17 PM
jnlee3
Intermediate

Both ears pierced twice and gauged up a bit. No tats, yet, but have been looking for years. Used to work in bicycle shops with long hair, swore into the military then shaved the head. Kept the close shave, grew the van dyke and kept the plugs.

Work in IT now as a Systems Administrator for a small/mid sized company of fruit growers. Some of them initially seemed to have issues with me but not any longer. The money is alright and I get to wear what I want and tats would never be a problem.

Old 04-23-2008, 07:22 PM
big_al
Elite HDF Member

goatee, very low hair cut hairalot of white andblacksemi spiked, one tribal tattoo on my arm....
Fixed Operations Directorin autodealership

I definetly do not consider my self a biker or have the biker look....

Old 04-23-2008, 07:30 PM
Jetpat
Banned

Both arms tattooed, used to wear earrings and had a mullet...cut my hair around '90 and started working in the business world. Now, I fly a corporate jet for a MLB team owner's. The uniform covers my upper arms, though one arm the tat peeks out. They don't seem to care. Don't wear the earrings anymore cuz a headset hurts 'em. I ride with a bunch of guys who could care less what I look like or what I do for a living. As long as I'm true to myself and them is all that matters. Some quite unassuming guys turn out to be bad guys, so "looks" don't mean a f'ng thing far as I'm concerned.

Quick Reply: The biker look and career choice. A question.