Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lane spilters, let me explain

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 05:50 AM
sporty2003
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lane spilters, let me explain

i'm not charlie do gooder or anything like that. i have had my stupid time just like alot of people . but what the deal is i have rode bikes for 51 years . and at one time the traffic was not as bad then that is today. but that is no excuse but every biker that goes down doesn't matter if they was stupid or what. it matters they are one of us.and like i said in the other post there seems to alot of them this year for some reason. just last week i had three on bikes i'm not going to say what kind it does'nt matter but two went by on my left in my lane and the third came on my right in my lane. if i would have bobble or they we all would have went down,and if i would have about 15 years ago there would have been a fight go down . it's tough enough today keep from being ran over by all the car's without being taken out by our own .and i'm not ready to quit rideing yet and more and likely never will.but all i'm saying is people use your head we dont want to lose nobody and like i said i may not know you but it does matter.so knock of the stupid **** please.because i may forget i'm old and i may just kick your ***.or get my *** kick but you get the point.

Old 04-23-2008, 06:34 AM
georgiabiker
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: lane spilters, let me explain

Nothing isworse that a bike cutting through traffic, splitting cars. I think lane splitting gives us all a bad name, at least in my part of the woods where it is not legal and scares the crap out of cagers.

Old 04-23-2008, 07:25 AM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

There are certainly right and wrong ways to lane split - i guess "polite" and "rude" ways to do it is what I mean.

I never do it at high speeds, just barely above the speed of the cars and only when the cars are stopped or nearly stopped - then I'll weave slowly thru the lines. If the traffic is moving at all I fall in with the cars and flow with them. But the endless stop n go / put your foot down every 10 feet is the definition of misery, especially on a 100 degree day. Here in So Cal people are used to it and I've never actually had any cagersgive me any grief while doing it (pinching me off, attitudes, etc).

Old 04-23-2008, 09:21 AM
smudge
Tourer

It was legal when I lived in the UK and I did it all the time. 99% of motorists would ease over to give you a little extra room. The odd 1% would actually move closer to the line to stop you doing it. For these drivers it was a good way to lose a mirror!As long as you weren't blasting past 35mph traffic at 70mph, it was not a problem. But then maybe the standard of driving was just a little bit better! Cell phones in cars are illegal and will get you a moving violation with 3 points on your license and a $200 fine for a 1st offense. Three strikes and no license! People over there have been given tickets for eating, putting on makeup, etc. Can't see that happening when most LEO's are on their own cells. I don't do it now, it's hard enough to survie on the roads without taking that extra risk.

Old 04-23-2008, 09:44 AM
jag1886
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Lane spliters are impatient people that givethe rest of us patient people a bad name. Take your turn like the rest of us.

Old 04-23-2008, 10:06 AM
jwb47
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have had the privilage of riding in so.cal. and all I can say is if you have never road there you cant possibly understand the need for lane splitting. I had much rather be riding between two lines of cars that are stopped as opposed to setting still and watching the best buy delivery truck barreling up on your rear with no sign of slowing down. for the record that was the first time I decided to split lanes and it didnt take long to make that decision.

Old 04-23-2008, 10:31 AM
smudge
Tourer

ORIGINAL: jag1886

Lane spliters are impatient people that givethe rest of us patient people a bad name. Take your turn like the rest of us.
No, impatient people are like the arsole that did a u turn in front of me while I was passing a line of stationary cars and put me off my bike for two and a half years! If it's legal and you're stuck in traffic, what's wrong with lane splitting at a reasonable pace?
The cagers who object should buy a bike!

Old 04-23-2008, 10:31 AM
kingk9
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can only hope that this was said tongue in cheek and not head in a$$. I split lanes every day and it's even legal here. I commute on my bike, and have for many years. If I didn't split lanes, I'd spend most of my life stuck on a freeway. Thanks for your concern, but I don't really give a **** what you think. Some of you guys opinion on this seems woefully uninformed. But I'm sure everyone appreciates all the input on how they should ride their bikes. Holier than thou buncha ****s

Old 04-23-2008, 10:44 AM
sporty2003
Outstanding HDF Member

thats cool but are you doing it at 70 m.p.h.

Old 04-23-2008, 10:48 AM
RoadKingRon1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: kingk9

I can only hope that this was said tongue in cheek and not head in a$$. I split lanes every day and it's even legal here. I commute on my bike, and have for many years. If I didn't split lanes, I'd spend most of my life stuck on a freeway. Thanks for your concern, but I don't really give a **** what you think. Some of you guys opinion on this seems woefully uninformed. But I'm sure everyone appreciates all the input on how they should ride their bikes. Holier than thou buncha ****s

Hey king, come on buddy don't hold back...Tell us how you really feel.....[sm=exactly.gif]

Quick Reply: lane spilters, let me explain