General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lane spilters, let me explain

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 06:30 PM
MATUCHI
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: lane spilters, let me explain

ORIGINAL: Ceegardave

Last trip to Cali, when I saw lane-splitting in slow moving traffic, I had to wonder why it wasn't legal EVERYWHERE. Bunch of bikes threaded up to the front of the pack and when the light changed, ZOOM...off and outta the crowd. 'Course, the first time one roars past ya doing around 70 ( and you're doing 30) well, THAT will definitely get your attention. I've seen a few brave souls split around here (illegally) and usually all they ended up doing was to **** off the cagers and get pinched eventually.
You can only split lanes if you are not going more than five or ten miles per hour faster than the vehicles you’re overtaking or they can site your for reckless driving, and that speed is up to the officers discretion. The key to splitting lanes safely is doing it when the traffic is backed up and you are slowly threading through the stopped traffic. Anybody that does seventy through traffic that is only going thirty will not be around very long, even in California.