General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lane spilters, let me explain

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 10:43 AM
Bluerose
Default RE: lane spilters, let me explain

Beyond the California legallity of lane spitting/sharing there is like an epidemic of buttheads on bikes that "share" your lane in inappropriate ways. I'm betting it does not matter if your in CA or not. I posted a similar thread not long ago where not just crotch rockets but also cruisers are passing inappropriately and crowding other riders. Have had it happen about 5 times this season already at speeds fro 5 mph to 80 mph.

The picture above of the LA freeway and the lane splitter is the right way. Passing you on the right in your lane is NOT appropriate even here in CA. Heck,even passing on the left in your lane can be very inappropriate.

Old 04-24-2008, 11:05 AM
HGM
Road Warrior
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I dont belive I told anyone to stop it, especially where its legal. From my vantage point here in "Joeja" its a bad idea. If they were to make it legal and it became a standard practice, over time it might be just fine. But in the begining, I can tell you that MC deaths would go through the roof.I can see the benefit and dont blame you guys for using it to your advantage in Cali, since it works.

I ride to work periodicly and drive my truck the rest of the time. If I'm in my truck and sitting in stop and go traffic, while someone goes by me at 30mph or so, its going to startle me. Even if you have nerves of steel, you'll be taken by surprise. Some will say screw it, but now add to the scenerio my wanting to change lanes while the bike 4 cars back decides to jump out and pass through the middle. Will he see my signal? Will I see him?? Now I'm forced to sit still, and not change lanes out of fear I may kill a fellow biker.. If it were legal and he were'nt making his own road, it would be more anticipated.. So, legality is more of the key than anything.. Best of luck to you guys that do it, I just dont think its right in most cases. It would display an aerogant better than thou impression here in Atlanta, leading to someone cutting you off on purpose.. It would also give us all a bad name..JMO..

Old 04-24-2008, 11:06 AM
boone432
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i would have been knocking some d!ckheads off their bikes at the next stop light. thats just not cool man. and thats why i hate crotch rockets so much. the riders make a bad name for them. my brother has one, so i know that there are sensible riders on them, but damn, 95% of them are so fuggin stupid!! but doing this is stopped traffic on the freeway is different than blowing by someone at 80 mph when theyre doing 60 mph, which i pictured from the first post.

Old 04-24-2008, 11:43 AM
Ceegardave
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last trip to Cali, when I saw lane-splitting in slow moving traffic, I had to wonder why it wasn't legal EVERYWHERE. Bunch of bikes threaded up to the front of the pack and when the light changed, ZOOM...off and outta the crowd. 'Course, the first time one roars past ya doing around 70 ( and you're doing 30) well, THAT will definitely get your attention. I've seen a few brave souls split around here (illegally) and usually all they ended up doing was to **** off the cagers and get pinched eventually.

Old 04-24-2008, 03:16 PM
cardboard
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you are in a Lane and a bike comes up behind you pull over o theright hand side of the lane and let him go by you. If you buy a riders manual you will see this in it. Its common courtisy

Old 04-24-2008, 03:28 PM
swordy
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

here in the uk we can lane split, if cagers dont like it they can buy a bike!

Old 04-24-2008, 03:44 PM
jbt
Tourer

BTW, lane sharing is perfectly legal in every civilized country in the world... And California. The remainder of the US is the only area where it's not legal. Strange....

Old 04-24-2008, 03:49 PM
vicks96
Tourer

Props to yall that lane split. It is not legal here and if it was I wouldnt do it cause Im chicken.........[8D][8D]

Old 04-24-2008, 04:03 PM
HGM
Road Warrior
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

ORIGINAL: cardboard

If you are in a Lane and a bike comes up behind you pull over o theright hand side of the lane and let him go by you. If you buy a riders manual you will see this in it. Its common courtisy
I really wish it was common.. We cant even get slower traffic to stay right or to move over for semi's let alone faster traffic. I dont think we'll evergetthem to move overfor motorcycles in the same lane.. Neat concept, but the people in the cities I've lived in arent that smart.. Be damned if I trust them to move over for me..

Old 04-24-2008, 05:03 PM
Bluerose

ORIGINAL: cardboard

That only works if the person behind you is patient enough to wait for you to do so. Recently it seems most aren't and unless it is safe and or even prudent to do so I'll wait until it is.

The last cruiser that passed me in my lane on the right and split BETWEEN me and Hubby came rushing up while the rest of the traffic was slowing to stop for a light. He almost rear ended Hubby then tried to slip in between Hubby and I but had to stop fast because I was too close for him to do so. I slammed on my brakes and let him through. He got to stop at the light in front of me...big whoop. Again that is not lane splitting or sharing that is putting other riders in danger.....BUTTHEAD.

Quick Reply: lane spilters, let me explain