General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lane spilters, let me explain

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 01:27 PM
sbdynafan
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: lane spilters, let me explain

ORIGINAL: Geoff

You can split lanes in SoCal, but try it in Chicago or Milwaukee and some cageris going to challenge you. I've seen it happen a number of times.
Actually we can split lanes in the entire state of California... not just socal

And actually people do the same thing here, it's nothing new to us but if you ride defensive and ready for someone to challenge you, then you can react by slowing and moving around that jackazz or waiting till traffic opens up more then pass regularly. If you are uncomfortable doing it (and I see many people in socal that are) then don't. It's that simple... I just don't get the high and mighties that think they have the right to tell other LICENSED riders what they can and can't do!

Old 04-23-2008, 01:39 PM
FXDXTSport
Stellar HDF Member
Received 540 Likes on 240 Posts

ORIGINAL: smudge
Cell phones in cars are illegal and will get you a moving violation with 3 points on your license and a $200 fine for a 1st offense. Three strikes and no license!
Man, could we use that law here. People claim they aren't distracted while talking on a cell phone. Yesterday we had a young girl so distracted she didn't even see a train coming at her.

Kent, Washington (KOMO-TV) - A 17-year-old girl was stuck and killed by an Amtrak train as she walked across the tracks while on her cell phone Monday.
It happened in Kent, Washington about 11:30 a.m. Kent Police say the girl was on her cell phone and was not at a marked crossing when she stepped on the tracks. The tracks separate businesses on one side with a residential neighborhood on the other side. The girl's name has not been released.

Old 04-23-2008, 05:46 PM
MATUCHI
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

In California where it is legal, most people don’t have a problem with it. Below is a picture of what it can look like on a California freeway and notice how the motorcyclist is taking advantage of the five foot wide bike lane between traffic? If you can't ride through that, then you probably should stay in your own lane sitting in traffic on 100 degree days. I split and so do most of the experienced riders in California and I feel it's much safer to ride between the cars than to sit in stop and go traffic waiting to get rear-ended.

Old 04-23-2008, 06:01 PM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

You might as well figure out how you are going to deal with it because it is only going to get worse.For me when the boys do it,they usually have to put up with me going around them.Provided I am headed in the same direction.

Old 04-23-2008, 06:33 PM
BadBoyFLSTC
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That was one of the hardest posts I've struggled through reading. If you are asking me to stop lane splitting. I will not. If you don't want to, don't.

Old 04-23-2008, 06:43 PM
Lawdawg
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Apparently California of all places is the only place it is LEGAL, who'da thunk it. But only in the lanes, not on the shoulders.

http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/PrintLaws.html

Old 04-23-2008, 07:23 PM
kingk9
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: MATUCHI

In California where it is legal, most people don’t have a problem with it. Below is a picture of what it can look like on a California freeway and notice how the motorcyclist is taking advantage of the five foot wide bike lane between traffic? If you can't ride through that, then you probably should stay in your own lane sitting in traffic on 100 degree days. I split and so do most of the experienced riders in California and I feel it's much safer to ride between the cars than to sit in stop and go traffic waiting to get rear-ended.

You are exactly right. One of the greatest things is when you get behind a CHP bike. Them dudes can ride, and they go between stopped cars on the freeway at about 50 mph. When I tail one of them, I get home about 15 minutes earlier.

Old 04-23-2008, 07:36 PM
SloChicken
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: kingk9

ORIGINAL: jag1886

Lane spliters are impatient people that givethe rest of us patient people a bad name. Take your turn like the rest of us.
I can only hope that this was said tongue in cheek and not head in a$$. I split lanes every day and it's even legal here. I commute on my bike, and have for many years. If I didn't split lanes, I'd spend most of my life stuck on a freeway. Thanks for your concern, but I don't really give a **** what you think. Some of you guys opinion on this seems woefully uninformed. But I'm sure everyone appreciates all the input on how they should ride their bikes. Holier than thou buncha ****s
For us in SoCal, that is "taking your turn."

Like KingK9 said. Live with it.

Old 04-23-2008, 09:01 PM
Mountainkowboy
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,010 Likes on 544 Posts

ORIGINAL: jag1886

Lane spliters are impatient people that givethe rest of us patient people a bad name. Take your turn like the rest of us.
Spitting is a way of life in Socal! YOU sit on the parking lot (freeway) and overheat,its notbecause I'm impatient.[:@]

Old 04-23-2008, 09:25 PM
HGM
Road Warrior
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

From that picture, the lanes look wider than we have here in the SE. Is that true??

If I was confident enough to think I could tell you what the yahoo 3 cars up was going to do in stop and go Atlanta traffic, I may go with the idea of lane splitting. Even more so if the lanes were wider.. But, in reality, its plain stupid here.. I see people going from the on ramp to the left lane (4 lanes over) in less than 50yds w/no signals every day. Its a common occurance, maybe traffic laws are better enforced in Cali?? Who knows, but you try that crap here and you'll end up dead pretty quickly, I dont care how bad you think you are... I just dont get the attitude that its your right to split lanes, I guess since its legal out there it may be, but to be so outspoken about it elsewhere doesnt make sense to me...

Quick Reply: lane spilters, let me explain