General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lane spilters, let me explain

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 10:57 AM
TequilaJohn
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: lane spilters, let me explain

Think some of you are misunderstandin sporty's post...said two came down his left side...and one down his right side...in HIS lane. That ain't lane splittin...lane splittin is just what a couple of ya's said...ridin the middle line between vehicles. MY space in MY lane is just that...MY space...gotta agree with sporty here...shouldn't anyone else be in it unless invited.

Old 04-23-2008, 11:01 AM
Lopoetve
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

According to the newest Hurt report, it's actually safer than not too.

Old 04-23-2008, 11:24 AM
TwiggyAZ
Banned

ORIGINAL: TequilaJohn

Think some of you are misunderstandin sporty's post...said two came down his left side...and one down his right side...in HIS lane. That ain't lane splittin...lane splittin is just what a couple of ya's said...ridin the middle line between vehicles. MY space in MY lane is just that...MY space...gotta agree with sporty here...shouldn't anyone else be in it unless invited.
+1

It's the ones that "don't give a **** what anyone else thinks" their going to ride how they want to ride, where they want to ride, screw everyone. Well, guess what...those that DON'T give a ****...meet those OTHERS that don't give a ****....cagers. They see that stuff just like everyone else and think..hey, if those idiots don't care, why should I, screw em...I'm moving over so they can't get by. I think we've all seen that. It's simply a matter of knowing you are NOT the only person on the road, being very aware of your surroundings, and heaven forbid........being considerate!!![]

Old 04-23-2008, 11:27 AM
Bluzmn59
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: smudge

It was legal when I lived in the UK and I did it all the time. 99% of motorists would ease over to give you a little extra room. The odd 1% would actually move closer to the line to stop you doing it. For these drivers it was a good way to lose a mirror!As long as you weren't blasting past 35mph traffic at 70mph, it was not a problem. But then maybe the standard of driving was just a little bit better! Cell phones in cars are illegal and will get you a moving violation with 3 points on your license and a $200 fine for a 1st offense. Three strikes and no license! People over there have been given tickets for eating, putting on makeup, etc. Can't see that happening when most LEO's are on their own cells. I don't do it now, it's hard enough to survie on the roads without taking that extra risk.
Oh man, would I LOVE to see that made into law over here!!!!

Old 04-23-2008, 11:41 AM
kingk9
Banned

ORIGINAL: TwiggyAZ

+1

It's the ones that "don't give a **** what anyone else thinks" their going to ride how they want to ride, where they want to ride, screw everyone. Well, guess what...those that DON'T give a ****...meet those OTHERS that don't give a ****....cagers. They see that stuff just like everyone else and think..hey, if those idiots don't care, why should I, screw em...I'm moving over so they can't get by. I think we've all seen that. It's simply a matter of knowing you are NOT the only person on the road, being very aware of your surroundings, and heaven forbid........being considerate!!![]
Boy....if only the real world was as simple as the one you live in.

Old 04-23-2008, 11:50 AM
MetalSpike
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Exactly. People have been shot for less than this in road rage incidents. A little consideration goes a long way.

Old 04-23-2008, 12:33 PM
sbdynafan
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: kingk9

ORIGINAL: jag1886

Lane spliters are impatient people that givethe rest of us patient people a bad name. Take your turn like the rest of us.
I can only hope that this was said tongue in cheek and not head in a$$. I split lanes every day and it's even legal here. I commute on my bike, and have for many years. If I didn't split lanes, I'd spend most of my life stuck on a freeway. Thanks for your concern, but I don't really give a **** what you think. Some of you guys opinion on this seems woefully uninformed. But I'm sure everyone appreciates all the input on how they should ride their bikes. Holier than thou buncha ****s
Kingk9 It's no use... many of the other riders in the country just don't get it. I would say most of the "splitter haters"
are more jealous than knowledgeable on splitting lanes. Since it is legal here is California drivers and riders are comfortable with others doingit and99% of the time will even give way.
I think sporty's post was a little to generalized for anyone to really understand what he was complaining about anyway

Old 04-23-2008, 12:41 PM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 662 Likes on 412 Posts

You can split lanes in SoCal, but try it in Chicago or Milwaukee and some cageris going to challenge you. I've seen it happen a number of times.

Old 04-23-2008, 12:46 PM
fj4069
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: kingk9

I can only hope that this was said tongue in cheek and not head in a$$. I split lanes every day and it's even legal here. I commute on my bike, and have for many years. If I didn't split lanes, I'd spend most of my life stuck on a freeway. Thanks for your concern, but I don't really give a **** what you think. Some of you guys opinion on this seems woefully uninformed. But I'm sure everyone appreciates all the input on how they should ride their bikes. Holier than thou buncha ****s
+1

Old 04-23-2008, 01:06 PM
fiend138
Road Captain

I do it so what, my bike, my life, my choice.

Quick Reply: lane spilters, let me explain