Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DO YOU COUNTER-STEER?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 01:50 PM
3power
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: DO YOU COUNTER-STEER?

ORIGINAL: cray49a

In the old days you just leaned. You didn't push the bar.
You did, but you didn't do it consciously. It's the only way to lean it over at speed. Don't fight it . . you were a countersteerer even in the old days!

Old 04-22-2008, 01:50 PM
JBaker421
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Maybe that's a deer under the bike. Looks like a jacket or something.
I was wondering if those were sparks coming from the floorboards andif atthat angle maybe the muffler bracket. If the muffler bracket, he's danged close to unloading the weight from the back tire and sliding out.

Old 04-22-2008, 01:53 PM
faber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Countersteering is a must, above a certain speed.

But you really can't do it at parking lot speed. You do the opposite, really. (Keep the bike upright, weight on outside peg, turn bars into turn....) Countersteering seems to take over above 15-20 mph.

Old 04-22-2008, 01:54 PM
johnsquicks10
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I started out instead of pushing to turn I found that I was pulling. I had to make myself relearn a few things. much better now. response is alot quiker countersteering.

Old 04-22-2008, 01:55 PM
JBaker421
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

ORIGINAL: 3power

In the old days you just leaned. You didn't push the bar.
You did, but you didn't do it consciously. It's the only way to lean it over at speed. Don't fight it . . you were a countersteerer even in the old days!
I still know middle-aged riders who don't counter steer. They slow way down for corners and believe the bike won't corner any better. They often get into a corner too hot and have to brake hard during the corner to get slowed enough to turn. Sometimes they just go off the road and you read about them in the paper.

Just my $02.

Old 04-22-2008, 01:58 PM
mountainpharm
Road Captain

CURIOUS. How many of you use counter-steering predominantly?
Only, and I repeat ONLY, in right and left hand turns.

Old 04-22-2008, 02:01 PM
cray49a
Road Master

Ohhh noooo. Tell me it ain't true! (I think you are right). So, nothing's changed. I just thought that the newer riders (except for experiences) were better trained.

But, you can just lean or change you weight and a bike will turn. The whole key is getting the bike onto the side of the tire. The smaller diameter versus the larger diameter of the tire is what turns the bike. Like rolling a paper cup. Bigger on one end than the other.

The reason why I ask is I see a lot of guys wiggle themselves or throw their shoulder to change the attitude of the scooter. I used to do it and it is cool if there is no hurry. But, counter steering is sooo much easier and exacting.

Old 04-22-2008, 02:02 PM
Calwoodbutcher
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Everbody coutersteers whether they know it or not. Physics dictates that. Countersteering does not have to be a push on the bars in the direction you are turning. It can also be a pull on the opposite side that people don't put direct thought into but comes naturally with the lean.

Old 04-22-2008, 02:08 PM
meanbite
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: Calwoodbutcher

Everbody coutersteers whether they know it or not. Physics dictates that. Countersteering does not have to be a push on the bars in the direction you are turning. It can also be a pull on the opposite side that people don't put direct thought into but comes naturally with the lean.
I have to disagree. YOu can turn a bike without countersteering at all. I have done track days on sport bikes where I was taught how to turn and it can definately be done but you SHOULDN"T do it. Hell, you can steer a bike without your hands being on the bars but you definately SHOULDN"T try that.

Old 04-22-2008, 02:12 PM
old95
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I really do not know what planet you friend comes from, but here on the earth a bike at speed will NOT turn the direction you want without counter steering, so I would highly suggest you ride a good distance from your friend, a friend that I assume will not be riding on this planet much longer.

Quick Reply: DO YOU COUNTER-STEER?