General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone bring a Harley in to Canada?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 07:42 PM
eliems
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone bring a Harley in to Canada?

Did you have to get a recall letter? Did you have to have a kms speedo? Anything else?

Thanks, Greg.

Old 04-21-2008, 08:24 PM
donk_316
Road Master
Received 72 Likes on 49 Posts
Default RE: Anyone bring a Harley in to Canada?

Dont think you need the Speedo changed. All the bikes at "house of thunder" in Camrose, AB still have the MPH speedos.

Those guys bring in US bikes for a living. Call them.

Old 04-21-2008, 08:54 PM
mustasz
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Last November I brought 06 Superglide from Buffalo to Toronto,Ont. Recall letter was provided by the seller /dealer/,I processed bike on the border only through Canadian Customs.There is no requirement to have speedo in kmh. All together easy process,and saves some $$, Mat

Old 04-22-2008, 10:19 AM
iceman336
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Here is the website to assist you:

http://www.riv.ca/

You do require the recall letter. If you are buying from a dealer, they will provide. Otherwise, you will have to obtain it from the MoCo. You do not have to change the speedo over.

You do have to submit the original bill of sale to US Customs 3 working days prior to bringing the bike across the border so they can do a background search. When you hit the border, you must stop at US Customs first, pick up the bill of sale, and have it stamped with a release BEFORE you proceed to Canada Customs. If you don't, and get an overly ambitious Customs Officer, you could be looking at a hefty fine.

At Canada Customs, you will have to pay the GST on the value of the Bill of Sale as well as the Registrar of Imported Vehicles fee. They will provide you with a T2 form that you have to send in to the Registrar of Imported Vehicles ASAP.

Then, you have to have the bike federally inspected ( ironically at Canadian Tire - theyhave the contract ) within 10 days of it coming across the border.Finally, you will requre an out-of-province inspection as the provinces don't recognize the Canadian Tirefederal inspection (Duh?!)

Sounds like a lot, but it actually comes together rather easily...

Old 04-22-2008, 10:37 AM
rgm
Cruiser

Why do you need to go to US Customs? When I cross the border from time to time, there is no US office when I hit the Canadian side. Not sure I understand the procedures here? Please clarify.

Old 04-22-2008, 11:04 AM
iceman336
Road Warrior

From the Registrar of Imported Vehicles Website:
[*]U.S. Customs requires notification of all self-propelled vehicles being permanently exported from the United States. Their regulations state that at land border points:
1. The required documentation must be submitted to
U.S. Customs at least 72 hours prior to export; and
2. The vehicle must be presented to
U.S. Customs at the time of export.
U.S. Customs recommends that you contact the port of crossing directly to determine exact documentation requirements and hours of operation.
[*]If you are importing a trailer, you may call RIV to have your Vehicle Identification Number verified ahead of time.

Here is the US Customs website link:
http://www.customs.gov/xp/cgov/trade...or_vehicle.xml

Old 04-22-2008, 11:24 AM
gwalsh
Advanced

I did this last fall, you must submit the title not bill of sale for us customs inspection 72 hours prior to export. A fax works just fine, but you must bring the original on the day of export for the export stamp.

On the day you bring it across you stop on the US side and they stamp the title Exported, then you cross to the Canadian side and pay the piper his due. GST and 215$ RIV Fee and fill out Form
1, then submit form 1, bill of sale, title, recall letter and wait for form 2. When you get form 2 you just go to Canadian tire for the inspection. They might want to put Km/h stickers on.

I had 45 days to have it inspected from day of import.

If you are buying from a dealer get a printout from the dealer system (I think its called hog). This is acceptable. If private sale try a dealer to see if they will print it out for you or as a last resort try the MOCO. They are less than responsive.

Old 04-22-2008, 02:07 PM
rgm
Cruiser

If you are buying from a dealer get a printout from the dealer system (I think its called hog). This is acceptable. If private sale try a dealer to see if they will print it out for you or as a last resort try the MOCO. They are less than responsive.
Are you talking about the Recall Letter here?????

Old 04-22-2008, 02:42 PM
iceman336
Road Warrior

yes he is

Old 04-22-2008, 11:28 PM
Sicilian69
Novice

jut got mine two weeks ago from montana , very easy . just go to www.riv.ca tells ya every thing you need to know and do
you cant loose, are dollar dam near at par,prices great and lots to choose from
got me a 2006 road king custom,with a ton of extras and only 1700 miles on it. the bike is hardly broken in
got it for at least $4,000 less then in canada(not that you could find one in canada) thats after gst and other fees
oh ya did i mention the bikes fu%kin awsome

Quick Reply: Anyone bring a Harley in to Canada?