General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinions on security systems factory vs. aftermarket?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2006, 01:07 PM
starbound
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Opinions on security systems factory vs. aftermarket?

I have a 1996 FXDL and would like to add a security system to it. I have seen the factory harley systems, but they get kind of pricy after you get all the different pieces. Are they they worth the extra money? I have seen some aftermarket alarms such as Scorpio, ThunderPage, Armed Gaurd, and Nady but I don't know much about them. Are any of these comparable to the factory system or possibly even better? I noticed that most of the aftermarket have wiring kits for the 1997 and up harley's, but the factory alarm for my dyna works with 96'-99' models so I would think that the aftermarkets would also work with my bike, but I don't know for sure. I also found a Immobiliser system, but I am leary sense the company is out of business. I would really like some feedback from you guy's.

Thanks,
Starbound

Old 02-14-2006, 02:26 PM
Bruce00
Extreme HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Default RE: Opinions on security systems factory vs. aftermarket?

Can't answer questions about the aftermarket alarms, but I have the factory alarm with the pager/siren options and would do it again in a second.

Any questions about the factory alarm, I'll try to help

Old 02-14-2006, 03:34 PM
alexcue
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ditto, sorry can't compare since i have the whole H-D system. It's a do it your self thing, and super easy. Everything is just plug and play. I'm terrible with electrical stuff, so splicing is just something I'm not comfortable with. and I'm pretty sure with aftermarket stuff you'd have to do this.

The H-D system integrates fine, and works! I'm using the Smart Siren II variation which is the newest one.

Old 02-14-2006, 03:39 PM
AK_Hog_Herder
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Purchased the TSSM and Smart Siren II online from www.surdyke.com and installed it myself.

30 minutes to install, 3 hours to program.

Did not get the pager, I hate pagers. Carried one for too many years in the course of my work. Did I mention I hate pagers?

Any security system is only going to slow thieves down and maybe get you a price break on your insurance.

Old 02-14-2006, 06:18 PM
rvisdew
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the H-D Siren II and Pager ... will probably add a disc lock ... but they say if the pager goes off, it's telling you it's time to call for a cab ...

Old 02-15-2006, 11:46 AM
starbound
Intermediate

So the pager really doesn't help? Seems like a lot of money to spend if it doesn't do any good. Does anyone have any experience with the aftermarket systems?

Old 02-16-2006, 04:35 AM
SpeedsterX
Elite HDF Member

Good Insurance is the best security system there is!

My best friend had a Dyna Superglide he loved. Got stolen and he had great insurance. Bought a brand new Wide Glide with the insurance money and loves it more. I had the same insurance for my Superglide. A friend thought it would be funny one night to move my bike from where it was parked, in front of the bar, to the back (he left before I did). I walked out and did not see it. I loved the bike but cold see myself on a Fatboy REAL easy. I finally found her and I must be honest, I was just ALITTLE disappointed.

Happy I found her though.

If they are going to get it,
they'll get it. Just have good insurance!

[IMG]local://upfiles/4802/D5C9080262E14D7D8154BD71BEFB8669.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-16-2006, 11:27 AM
jeepster09
Grand HDF Member
Received 7,825 Likes on 1,278 Posts

ORIGINAL: starbound

So the pager really doesn't help? Seems like a lot of money to spend if it doesn't do any good. Does anyone have any experience with the aftermarket systems?
I have the Gorilla Alarm with remote pager. Most alarms are not going to keep your bike from being stolen, if a thief wants it is going to get stolen. I like the pager system just for piece of mind when in restraunt or coffee shop it will alert me if someone is tampering with my luggage. It also is nice when in hotel and bike is under non-Harley emblazoned cover, just taking off cover will set off pager and alert me of potential trouble.
Over the years I have seen to much trouble with alarm systems ignition disable functions going bad and not allowing bike to be started costing owner a lot of hassle and expense to fix. My thought was to get cheap aftermarket system with pager and to not hook up ignition disable feature. Again alarms are not going to keep bike from being stolen, so don't buy one with those expectations. So save some money and buy a less expense one that can just give you some peace of mind. The Gorilla alarm was real simple to hook up and I mounted it inside the batwing fairing.

Old 02-16-2006, 01:06 PM
starbound
Intermediate

I realize that an alarm won't stop someone if they really want it. I thought it might make them move on to the next bike that doesn't have one. My concern was while at rallies and at night while in a hotel room. I spoke with scorpio alarms yesterday, he claims that their company makes the security systems for HD? Of the aftermarket systems I think I like the scorpio the best and they have a plug-in-play system. I really appriciate the feedback!

Thanks!!!