General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lucas oil cured my noisy Twin Cam!

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 01:02 AM
The Baron
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Lucas oil cured my noisy Twin Cam!

I changed oil today and went with Lucas synthetic 20w50 and supplemented that with Lucas Synthetic Oil stabilizer (20 ounces in the motor and 5 ounces in the tranny). My bike went from having a very audible top end tick, primary whine and clunky shifting to dead silent with smooth as butter shifting. I will never put another oil in my bike. AWESOME stuff!

The following users liked this post:
Sol-Invictus (08-17-2020)
Old 04-20-2008, 01:09 AM
1Coastie
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Lucas oil cured my noisy Twin Cam!

I agree! Been running Lucas for a while. Awsome stuff! And its cheaper than the Citgo Cesar Chaves stuff that the dealer sells (HD brand oil is made by Citgo). In my opinion its a far better product.[sm=coolness.gif]

Old 04-20-2008, 01:14 AM
The Baron
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I went to Checker because everything was closed and really didn't think I'd find anything worth using but they had this. The guy that worked there even commmented how he appreciates someone that buys the good **** and isn't turned off by the high price.

This stuff is amazing. Within 2 seconds of start-up I could notice the quietness of the motor as compared to before, and I was running Amsoil before. Matter of fact, I have 1/2 a case of Amsoil sitting in my cabinet that'll get used in my lawn mower from now on.

Lucas oil rules!

Old 04-20-2008, 08:07 AM
harleyeglideman
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[sm=confused06.gif][sm=interesting.gif][sm=thanx.gif]

Old 04-20-2008, 08:31 AM
testifer
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

been using lucas in my cars forever...great stuff...question is, whats the stabilizer for?

Old 04-20-2008, 08:52 AM
sharkeydude
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the tip. As you probably heard on this forum, the 07'RK came noisy as hell from the factory. I've been looking for a good fix. Thanks!

Old 04-20-2008, 09:56 AM
Thumpn
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Some of these newer synthetics are pretty amazing. I used Alisyn in our race boat (we were sponsored by them) and just by changign over from the factory synthetics to theirs the boat picked up a consistent 3.7 mph....in an F1 offshore boat that peaks out around 88 mph, that's like having a 10 mph advantage in Nascar! I use Lucas in all my personal stuff because it's readily available, and essentially the same formula.
In answer to the question "what is oil stabilizer for?", it's a bonding agent...not for the parts, but rather for the oil-it bonds the molecules together so they stay on the parts that need the lubrication. Okay Randy, shut up before you go into hydrocrack refining processes and stuff...I know. Sorry. Just REAL into this stuff...

The following 2 users liked this post by Thumpn:
06BlackWG (04-14-2016), johnnyhumble (08-17-2020)
Old 04-20-2008, 09:57 AM
Thumpn
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Oh, I had to add...the stabilizer is why the engine is quieter...everything in it has a nice coat of oil with much higher surface tension than conventional lubricants. Okay I'll shut up.

Old 04-20-2008, 09:59 AM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

The stabilizer is extra?, not in the oil? I saw the Lucas at NAPA the other day and was thinking about using it.I've got a 10K
service coming up soon.

Old 04-20-2008, 11:05 AM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Haven't tried their oil yet, but myself and many of the 'old timers' I know have been using the Lucas Heavy Duty Oil Stabilizer in our Harley's for years and years. (I also use it in my 4-wheel vehicles as well).

Normally add 3 or 4 ounces of the stabilizer at each oil change (2,500 to 3,000 miles)...

Yeah I know, it's probably "overkill" changing the oil and filter that often, especially since I run good synthetic fluids, but old habits are hard to break....

Quick Reply: Lucas oil cured my noisy Twin Cam!