General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lucas oil cured my noisy Twin Cam!

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 11:28 AM
joearizona
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Lucas oil cured my noisy Twin Cam!

My 05 Ultra always had a noisy valve train & latly I've had a bad ticking noise in the top end when I was crusing at about 26 to 2800 RPM's. Yhis week end I replaced my lifters & Push rods & i'll see how the top end sounds. BUT I'll try some of the Lucas in with my oil when I change my oil this week becouse I'm due.

Old 04-21-2008, 11:37 AM
jerseyjeff62
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i switched to the lucas syn racing 20w-50 black label.on the back label has something like especially for use in harley davidson motorcycles.ran the oil treatment with dino oil couple of years ago.but went to the syn for temp.of the 06 and up motors.with no oil treatment so far so good

Old 04-21-2008, 11:42 AM
Snakum
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The famous TwinCamTopEndBoogie in my 08 Super was very noticeable with the HD synth ... a huge amount of noise. A little better with Mobile 1V-Twin. A little better still with Redline 20-50. And nonexistent with dead dinosaur in the crankcase. Not sure what that means, if anything.

Go figure.

Old 04-21-2008, 07:12 PM
ballpeen
Tourer

Very interesting thread, I have been a big fan of Amsoil for years, but to be honest I did not know what the stabilizer was, going to give it a try next change . Thanks TIm

[IMG]local://upfiles/46392/DAFB3D0861A241719690E3056A8DF747.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-21-2008, 09:09 PM
Road_Clam
Road Captain
Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

I am really finding it hard to believe that switching an oil cures an unusuall engine noise. If this is the case can I wad someLucas Oilin the crack of my a$$ to stop loud farts in church? (My wife yells at me all the time when I do this)

Old 04-21-2008, 09:20 PM
Hughey79
Tourer

I also find this interesting. I hope we get some more views on this. I read what bobs the oil guy wrote and it makes me think he likes it but isnt sure about the air that gets into the oil. Anyone know if they have sent the oil in for a analysis after using this oil?

Old 04-22-2008, 05:27 AM
HGM
Road Warrior
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Yea, pretty far extreemes.... For so many to put faith in "Bob", then to ignore the fact that he saw the additive grow air is kinda surprising to me. I've never been a great fan of additives for the exact reasons he proved in his testing. The question I have is, why would he test the additive without the same brand oil? Also, if this oil is so good, why do you have to add and additive to it??? I'm all for quieting my engine down, I'd just like to hear some long term testing. I've heard of people quieting differentials with sawdust and manual transmissions with gear oil.. Doesnt mean its a good thing.. 20W50 sounds too heavy for the trans and primary to me, but glad its working for you..

Old 04-22-2008, 06:42 AM
Steve On 3
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

I can't believe the AMsoil warriors haven't ripped this thread to pieces like they do all the other ones concerning oil and haven't trotted out their famous self intitiated and financed white paper showing how Amsoil can cure anything from the common cold to diabetes. I've used a smal amount of lucas in most all my vehicles with great results. Yours may vary.

Bubba

Old 04-22-2008, 06:48 AM
King FLH
Road Captain
Received 38 Likes on 13 Posts

I put Lucas synthetic in my softail last fall then put it away. Dragged it out this past weekend, and been riding it. Seemed kinda funny to me to be able to actually not hear any top end noise. Kinda scaring me. Almost Honda like. Then I fire up this board this morning and saw this thread, and it hit me that it could be the oil. I'm going to put it in my bucket of bolts RK next weekend and see what happens.

Old 04-22-2008, 08:43 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Lucas oil stabilizer is just a thicker weight oil withvery littleanti-wearadditives than your MC rated oil so you are adding more viscosity improver and diluting the additive package in your 20w50. It will quiet an engine because the thicker the oil is the more cushion you get between moving mechanical parts especially noticable in the valvetrain. But you are weakening your anti-wear additives in your oil by using it. If you want thicker go with a 20w60 like redline. OR mix a quart of straight 50w in with your 20w50 and you will get the same result. OR if you are down South just go straight 50 or 60w.

The following users liked this post:
Iron lHorse (09-11-2020)

Quick Reply: Lucas oil cured my noisy Twin Cam!