General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone use a flip up helmet.....

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2008, 12:59 PM
leeinmemphis
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Anyone use a flip up helmet.....

Hey everyone,

I was wondering if anyone here uses one of those flip up type helmets that is a full face helmet and the front of it can swing up out of the way. I have a couple of rides coming up that will have quite a bit of highway riding and am thinking about giving one a try. I don't really want to wear a full face helmet because when I get off the highway it would be nice to ride with an open style helmet.

-lee-

Old 04-19-2008, 01:13 PM
tombeving
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Anyone use a flip up helmet.....

I use one on long trips and they are great. You can flip them up in town or at a stop light if you need to talk. Also when gassing up, you don't need to take off the helmet.

Old 04-19-2008, 01:15 PM
Swamp Tiger
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes --- I havebeen using them for the past five years. I like the protection provided by a full-face helmet, but it is good to flip the front part out of the way when stopping for gas, etc.

I have two flip-up helmets. I bought the first one at a HD dealership, but the HD brand does not fit as snug as I like for longer trips --- the wind jostles it around just enough to wear a hole in your head after a few hours. I purchased a Shoei a couple of years ago --- same size but a little tighter fit. I wear the Shoei when I expect to be riding all day and need a comfortable fit. However, the Shoei costs nearly twice as much as the HD helmet.

Old 04-19-2008, 01:36 PM
tail11
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a HD flip up full face and concur with the other comments. I usually wear it only in the winter time, but when I did a longer trip last year it was great to leave the helmet on when I gassed up or just wanted to have a smoke.

[IMG]local://upfiles/13603/A87A0CB4F36D40308A7EE3B044981A69.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-19-2008, 01:37 PM
mtgriz
Road Warrior
Received 224 Likes on 158 Posts

Last spring I bought an AGV flip-upfor ridinng in the rain for a couple long trips to the NW I made. I carry it in mytourpak rack bag with my other rain gear. Worked great and was pretty reasonable in cost as I recall (like less that $150, I think).There were several times I was glad I had it. If I were going to wear one full-time, I'd probably take a look at the higher end models like Arai, Shoei or whatever HD has.

Old 04-19-2008, 01:45 PM
landest
Road Warrior

I have one for winter riding. They are great as a full helmet compromise.

One thing to be aware of is that they are not as protective as a solid full helmet. At least thatswhat thewarning label say's on mine.

Old 04-19-2008, 02:14 PM
sldavis
Road Captain

I have one of the HD ones, and like it. It may not protect as well as a standard full face, but it is better than any open face, and you can flip it up to drink, smoke, talk etc. Very convenient, and mine is very comfortable. I think it is just a little noisier than a standard full face though with the wind.

Old 04-19-2008, 02:20 PM
StargazerXT12
Road Warrior

I have a HD full face/flip up. I really like it for cold/rainy weather.

Old 04-19-2008, 02:20 PM
georgiabiker
Road Captain

I wear one for my winter riding. It works good, but it does direct all the wind that hits my chest into my eyes. I have to roll up a bandanna and stuff it in to cut the wind down.

Old 04-19-2008, 04:09 PM
rde
Road Captain

I rode with a flip up for a couple years, but I will admit the only time I ever raised the face part was to get gas. Unless you buy a high end model like the Shoei Multitec they are not as safe as a traditional full face helmet.They also stillare not that quiet. Expect to spend big bucks!

When I am cruising the interstates I want the safest, quietest helmet I can get. Wind noise is a real issue when you are cruising at 70 mph for hours!

I am now using a Shoei RF-1000. I just did a 2200 mile road trip, much of it on interstate highways. I couldn't have been more pleased.

You'll have to weigh which is more important: quiet and safer vs convenience. In my mind on long road trips quiet is very important!

Quick Reply: Anyone use a flip up helmet.....