General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ok, what's the dumbest thing you ever did on a bike?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2006, 05:23 PM
Snarly
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Ok, what's the dumbest thing you ever did on a bike?

Ok, what's the dumbest thing you ever did on a bike?
First a little explanation. Older two stroke engines, while kickstarting can kickback and actually fire up running backwards. One day while showing off for a crowd, it stalled, I gave it a quick kick and it fired up, I twisted the throttle and popped the clutch and it shot out from under me backwards, throwing me over the handlebar's. Not a pretty sight, and embarrassing.

Old 02-14-2006, 06:01 PM
Rhinohd
Road Captain

The Dumbest thing I ever did... Hmmmmmmmmm there are so many.........

OK I put a solo seat on my old fatboy. I finsh it up and the wife come out looks, call me an a-hole and storms into the house! I was in the dog house for a week. Something about me not wanting her on the bike that pissed her off...

Old 02-14-2006, 06:26 PM
Scout
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 705 Likes on 338 Posts

If you add up the stupid things I've done on bikes, I would win the Darwin Award.

One real stupid thing was racing my brother on his Yamaha, and my brother in law, him in his Camaro home. Get home, won the race, but decide to get in one more quick lap with my brother. Ripping through the streets, parks, sidewalks etc., I end up in a high speed corner when a truck pulls out. I try to get on the sidewalk to avoid him and hit a tree dead on. Wrecked me and my bike. The only thing that saved me was that I hit it dead on, if I would have clipped it I would have been dead for sure. Was alchohol involved? You know the answer to that one.

The really stupid thing is, I was already home, safe in my driveway, but my stupid lack of judgement that day made me make a bunch of mistakes.

Old 02-14-2006, 07:59 PM
jeepster09
Grand HDF Member
Received 7,349 Likes on 1,182 Posts

I've got one on a bike that stands out in my memory. Back in the 60's I had a Harley Chopper that I just got and I decided to ride by my house and my dad was out cutting the grass. I thought I would show him how cool my new bike was. I drove by our house at over 100 and waved at him as I was accelerating with straight pipes.....needless to say it was not a smart thing to do.[sm=boohoo.gif] He had just a few things to say to me and man those words hurt....[sm=nono.gif][sm=outcold.gif] The bike was a Pan head stroker with hard tail and 16" extended springer frontend. It was not a good handling or stopping bike with no front brakes and crappy "teenage built" low cost parts throughout. It sure went like hell though.

Old 02-14-2006, 09:49 PM
Mountainkowboy
Grand HDF Member
Received 977 Likes on 532 Posts

There is sooooo many!
Ok...I was drunk (duh) and on my pan in my 20's. We were on our way home down Whittier Blvd (the big cruise street) pulled up to the light, never put my feet down. After my bros got the pan off me we were off. You woulda thought that I learned my lesson at the last light...nope...3 lights in a row. The next morning not only did I have a hang-over, but my leg was shredded and burned from the pan, and I needed new bars, a clutch lever, and had to fix the huge dent in the left bob. Them were the days.

Old 02-14-2006, 10:13 PM
dmlong
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was on my Panhead a few years ago and took the ferry across Puget Sound. They load the bikes on 1st so they are the 1st off. I went to start the bike but forgot to retard the spark,the result was the bike kicking back,throwing me off and then falling on me.

There was a huge audience watching this happen and I've never felt so stupid before or since.....

Old 02-14-2006, 10:17 PM
screwball
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 65 Posts

The first stupid thing....1966, corner of Sunset Blvd and Ivar in the middle of Hollywood. A Lincoln Continental with 6 beautiful girls pulls up next to me on my Triumph Bonny. Light turns green, I do a wheel stand across the intersection....right in front of the cop parked on Ivar. Got a ticket for Exhibition, loud exhaust, reckless driving, and the girls in the Lincoln drove by laughing.

Second stupid thing. 3 weeks later, still Hollywood, same bike. Sunset Blvd and Cherokee St. Lots of gay bars on Cherokee. A few of my idiot friends and I decide to hassle the gay bars and do a few power runs ON THE SIDEWALK. Again, a cop was around the corner, heard all the noise and pulled around just as we were pulling off the sidewalk. Didn't think it was funny, also the same cop that tagged me the first time. That was July or August, In October I sold the Triumph, dropped out of college and joined the Air Force. No, it wasn't the tickets, girlfriend was using the M word.

Old 02-15-2006, 12:34 AM
SpeedsterX
Elite HDF Member

HA HA HA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hilarious!!!!!!!!!!

Keep 'em comin'!!

Old 02-15-2006, 12:52 AM
Harley Al
Road Captain

LMAO....

Old 02-15-2006, 12:00 PM
74_ironhead
Elite HDF Member

i test drove a kawasaki before i bought my ironhead [:@]

Quick Reply: Ok, what's the dumbest thing you ever did on a bike?