General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do I need a windshield?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2008, 10:30 AM
GFunkk
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do I need a windshield?

I'm a new rider and I have a question about windshields. Do I need a windshield to do any long distance riding? I realize I don't HAVE to have one, but would you guys recommend it? I've never ridden with one, so I'm not sure what kind of difference it makes. I have a Fat Bob.

Old 04-19-2008, 10:32 AM
sniper77
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Do I need a windshield?

When I was under 35 I couldn't imagine life behind a windshield.

Now, at near 50 "I don't leave home without it."

Old 04-19-2008, 10:36 AM
rnothog
Tourer
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

If you wear a helmet, you'll appreciate it most of the time - and all of the time over 60 or 65 MPH. You'll also like it when the temps are 60-65 and less, because at highway speeds that can get chilly quick.

Get a detachable and have it the way you want it when you want it.

Congrats on the new bike.

Old 04-19-2008, 10:39 AM
Sam
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've never had one (except on an ST1300 that I own) and usually cruise at about 80mph on the highway and have no problems with wind or bugs (okay, I've had some badass bugs hit me, but it wasn't a huge deal). The wind only gets to be a problem for someone if their helmet is too big (think mushroom head). A good quality narrow helmet (Fulmer, Daytona, both have tested well with the gov. DOT testing) and a good set of goggle/glasses with the foam eye cups (Wiley X, Panoptx) and you should be fine.

Saying all that........will a windshield give you better protection.........absolutely. And you can't knock a rider who wants more protection

Old 04-19-2008, 10:44 AM
UltraBrian
Road Warrior

Good point, Sam. I have a detachable windshield on my Heritage Classic and it comes in handy during the colder rides and during rain. As the temps rise, I take it off and ride. But, since I'm used to riding with it, if I ride for long distances without it, my shoulders get a little sore from the wind pushing me back. Maybe that's the reason, maybe not. But, I like the idea of having a windshield when I need it.

Old 04-19-2008, 10:46 AM
paul_scooter
Cruiser

All you have to do is look at the windshield after a long trip and see all the bugs that didn't hit you in the face, teeth and chest to appreciate it. Bugs don't taste very good, i know from my younger days.

Old 04-19-2008, 10:59 AM
wideglidebob
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

mine is detachable around town i take it off long trips a must, as far as rain i would rather not have one they do not come with windsheild wipers i have to peer over it to see

Old 04-19-2008, 10:59 AM
oldfartjc
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: paul_scooter

All you have to do is look at the windshield after a long trip and see all the bugs that didn't hit you in the face, teeth and chest to appreciate it. Bugs don't taste very good, i know from my younger days.
Neither would a big black bird that hit my windshield at over 70 MPH feel very good either. I always ride with mine on.

Old 04-19-2008, 11:20 AM
gum
Cruiser

Detachable is the way to go. When I was a kid no windshield was no sweat. Now I'm 55 I wouldn't hit the highway without it, too much stress on this middleaged rigand we have a lot of bugs in the summer up here in Saskatchewan.

Old 04-19-2008, 11:21 AM
74_ironhead
Elite HDF Member

ORIGINAL: paul_scooter

But it's easier to wash your face off then scrub the windshield off

Quick Reply: Do I need a windshield?