General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road King

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2008, 06:43 PM
jara97
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Road King

Gentleman,

This is my first post and I currently don't have or never have had a Harley Davidson. Have alot of buddies that have them and am seriously considering buying a Road King. Love the look and soon I will test ride one. I am going on a military deployment and may take advantage of the military purchase program and have a brand new one waiting on me when I return. I have had in the past only Metrics including VTX 1800 and a GL 1800. Sold them due to a serious back injury but have since recovered and want to get back into riding. Please school me on what to expect from a Road King. Thanks in advance.

James

Old 04-18-2008, 07:18 PM
Swamp Tiger
Cruiser
Default RE: Road King

I have a 2005 Road King with 28,000 miles on it. It's a great ride that is reasonably gentle on my 53 year old rear end, and it has never given me any trouble. It's a heavy bike (over 700 pounds), so I reserve it for the longer trips --- I ride a Dyna Low Rider for the shorter trips.

Don't know if this helps, but I know that I intend to keep my Road King for a very long time --- it means that much to me.

Old 04-18-2008, 07:29 PM
barjbar
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have an '06. Great bike. I also have an '08 Heritage which I like also. The RK has a slightly better ride. You won't regret buying one. Good luck and come back safe.

Old 04-18-2008, 07:31 PM
oldfartjc
Outstanding HDF Member

I have a 2006 FLHRI RK and like it a lot and ride it everywhere. It is a heavy bike like all the touring models are, but it's easy to ride. I'm 63 and have no trouble riding it.

Old 04-18-2008, 07:59 PM
jethro001
Tourer

I have an 07 and it is my second one..........I love it, I also have a Nite Rod Special it is cool but if I could only have one scooter it would be the RKC. I am going to test drive an Ultra this weekend. Good luck with what ever decision you make.

Old 04-18-2008, 08:25 PM
carpetride
Elite HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

It"s gonna jump around some at idle ( it's a Harley)....
smooths out when you get above idle....
handles great for a heavy bike ( check out the cops riding around cone courseson you tube).....
won't have the VTXs power but it won't feel as heavy....
doing a stage 1 will cool the motor down, run better, and you'll have that killer harley sound to go with the killer looks.....
chicks will dig it....
old ladies will scoff.....
you will smile alot.....

Old 04-18-2008, 08:34 PM
Whiskers
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 46 Posts

The RKs' are incredible bikes...and a good compromise between a bar-hopper and fully loaded touring bike. They are quite versatile as well. The windshield pops right off in a couple seconds and they look quite different both ways.

I'm 52 and started with a RK after many years away from riding. I have never been remotely tempted to replace it with a different HD.

Good luck on your choice...and before someone else brings it up, you need to rent one for a day. And remember, no one ever likes the bars or stock seat on RK's and most eventually replace them.

Old 04-18-2008, 08:38 PM
Sam
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great bike. You need to realize that it shakes like a Harley should when it's sitting still, but it's very smooth as soon as you start to move. You'll hear a few complaints about the seat and handlebars, but most bikes have that problem and it's obviously an easy fix. I've got 3 bikes, I like the other 2, but I'd get rid of them anytime.......but I gotta have a Road King. Thank youfor your service, be safe.

LMAO, I typed my comment about the seat and handlebars before I read Whisker's comment above.....so there you go, just do what we did (change them) and you'll have the best bike on the road

Old 04-18-2008, 08:48 PM
2008FLHP
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

nuff said...

[IMG]local://upfiles/42378/C718FBDAC3B0413C838EACC7DF1BE6C6.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-18-2008, 09:14 PM
Kennyv
Intermediate

I LOVE my 07. I also changed bars and seat. Also did the SE slip ons and HD heavy breather with stage 1 download. Man be safe over there it is people like you that give us all the freedom to do things we love to do. THANK YOUfor your service to our nation.

Quick Reply: Road King