General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

layoffs

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 02:21 PM
Double00Aught
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: layoffs

Toyota forklifts are made in the community where I live. They employ a great number of Americans there, and from what I have heard pay them fairly well.

Old 06-30-2008, 03:08 PM
gtnot
Cruiser

The company I work for is attached to a local Caterpillar dealer.&nbsp\\; When we needed a forklift, tried and tried to get a Cat/Mitsu salesman to come and write the order...just ignored us.&nbsp\\; So, we went with a Toyota instead.&nbsp\\; Now they offered to give it a "yellow" paint job, we declined.

Old 06-30-2008, 03:31 PM
Mr_taterhead
Cruiser

Wake up, the Euro is already stronger than the Dollar, heck, even the Canadian Dollar is breaking even with us.&nbsp\\; We are not an industrial nation anymore...that was the 1880's-1950's.&nbsp\\; We have advanced beyond that.&nbsp\\; China and India are just now hitting the economic point that&nbsp\\;the US&nbsp\\;hit after the Civil War.&nbsp\\; And anyone who has visited India knows I am not lying when I say that most of that country is PRIMITIVE compared to the US.&nbsp\\; Folks, China is HUGE and POPULOUS, and will one day pass us in economic power.&nbsp\\; That is a fact.&nbsp\\; I don't care if you buy american 6 days a week and twice on Sunday, you can't circumvent the buying power of 1.3 billion.&nbsp\\; Smart money is spent on tryinto to figure out how to get&nbsp\\;a piece of that developing market (along with India), and most multinational corporations are already there.
&nbsp\\;
Many think that there will be a triumvirate of superpowers in the not-so-distant future...EU, China, and US.&nbsp\\; This is why the US is trying so hard to kiss the a$$es of the Indians at every turn...a close&nbsp\\;India-China partnership is bad for the US.
&nbsp\\;
I just got to thinking...so what if we weren't a "superpower"?&nbsp\\; I have visited plenty of countries that are not "superpowers", and children play happily in the parks while the adults watch from benches.&nbsp\\; Too many times I think our leaders fail to act like good neighbors because they have the "superpower" complex.

Old 06-30-2008, 04:20 PM
Dyna_Soar
Banned

Asians make "forklifts"?&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
Shouldn't they be making "chopstick" lifts?&nbsp\\;

Old 06-30-2008, 04:39 PM
FrenchXD
Intermediate

&nbsp\\;
Hi guys,
&nbsp\\;
So I am not an American and I do not live in US neither, so I should not buy a second Harley next year because it is not made in Europe????? The day it is made in China, the whole bike, I will not buy any more. But don'y close your mind on your own market, you may loose the international sales.
&nbsp\\;
Don't want ot debate but US asked for China to get business privileges for under developped countries because it served purpose of some US companies. In Europe we were, and still are against.
&nbsp\\;
Hope all American workers in HD will keep their job, high fuel cost is on your side.
&nbsp\\;
Have a nice day
Luc

Old 06-30-2008, 10:13 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

In 1984 I bought a Habor Frieght 1/2 " drive air impact wrench for $19.99 with a two inch arbor and a double sided socket to rotate my tires.&nbsp\\; I maintaine five vehicle.&nbsp\\; The tool is still going.&nbsp\\; I have never had a HF socket, wrench, T-allen wrench brake.&nbsp\\; I have their micrometers, dial indicators and other tools that are a match to the Starrets that I used to buy.&nbsp\\; My garage is a testimate to chinese tools.&nbsp\\; Two types of wheel chocks, Parts washer.&nbsp\\; Huge tool box.&nbsp\\; On and on.&nbsp\\;

I buy for value and price.&nbsp\\; If one was to break they have the same warranty.

I worked 42 years.&nbsp\\; Days, nights, weekends, holidays 24-48 and 72 hour shifts to get where I am.&nbsp\\; I don't intend to waste my money by overpaying for anything.&nbsp\\;

Old 07-01-2008, 07:13 AM
glideridemike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 261 Likes on 86 Posts

Where do you all who buy Chinese because its such a good deal think the money is going?&nbsp\\; Guess it doesn't matter to any of you, just so you get yours. &nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\; And what about the unfair and unequitable tariffs and import taxes US made products are subjected to in China as compared to their junk that is imported into the US?&nbsp\\; Guess it doesn't matter to any of you, just so you get yours.&nbsp\\; One of the first and best lessons I learned when entering the trade I'm in is to not only look down the road before making a move, but also to look around the next 2 corners.&nbsp\\; What I'm seeing is disaster down the road and around the corners.&nbsp\\; I seriously hope that I am wrong and all of you who have this 'devil may care' outlook are right about the effects of this all.

This all wears on a person.&nbsp\\; Its much easier to live in the now, roll with the punches and just let it be.&nbsp\\; No amount of proof will change anything.

Old 07-01-2008, 09:59 AM
shimmon
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I CANT SPEEK FOR NISSAN OR TOYOTA, BUT AS FOR TCM FORKLIFTS.&nbsp\\; THEY ARE ASSEMBLED FROM SCRATCH HERE IN AMERICAN, NORTH CAROLINA ACTUALLY.&nbsp\\; THEY DO NOT COME OVER IN A BOX AND BOLT TOGETHER.&nbsp\\; I BET THAT IS HOW TOYOTA AND NISSAN, CAT AND MITSI, AND ALL THE OTHERS ARE MADE HERE IN THE USA.&nbsp\\; NOW IF THESE LIFTS CAME OVER ON A BOAT ALREADY ASSEMBLED THEN I COULD SEE YOUR PROBLEMS WITH IT.&nbsp\\; BUT THEY ARE NOT.&nbsp\\; THEY EMPLOYE THOUSANDS OF AMERICAN MEN AND WOMEN.&nbsp\\; TRY AND FIND ANY CAR, TRUCK, FORKLIFT, AERIAL EQUIPMENT, SWEEPER, SCRUBBER, SKID STEER,&nbsp\\;THAT IS 100 PERCENT MADE IN AMERICA.
&nbsp\\;
TOYOTA FORKLIFTS ARE LIKE THEIR CARS/TRUCKS. SOLD CHEAP, BUT WHEN YOU GO TO BUY PARTS FOR THAT LIFT, THATS&nbsp\\;WHEN THEY GET YOUR MONEY.&nbsp\\; ITS KINDA FUNNY COMPAIRING PRICES FOR PARTS ON TOYOTA VERSUS TCM'S.&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;

Old 07-01-2008, 10:07 AM
wpgmbhd
Cruiser

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawn !

Old 07-01-2008, 10:13 AM
pscheval
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

try buying just about anything from Harley.... Made in China!

Quick Reply: layoffs