General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

layoffs

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2008 | 09:31 AM
soon to be
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: layoffs

It makes me feel good to know HD is using one of the BEST forklifts in the market today. And sounds like they have done some things to make it their own!

Old 05-26-2008 | 01:11 PM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,132 Likes on 1,030 Posts

I don`t know a thing about forklifts, but I know about China Mart and Harbor frieght. China Mart and their "customers"have been thea driving force in killing small town U.S.A, driving down wages, andloss of quality inproducts that we all buy everyday. And "quality long lasting tools from Harbor Frieght", now that IS funny. FLAME AWAY!

Old 05-26-2008 | 01:58 PM
sl3slinger
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: will2002

I don`t know a thing about forklifts, but I know about China Mart and Harbor frieght. China Mart and their "customers"have been thea driving force in killing small town U.S.A, driving down wages, andloss of quality inproducts that we all buy everyday. And "quality long lasting tools from Harbor Frieght", now that IS funny. FLAME AWAY!
lol have to agree with ya, harbor fright tools are disposal able tools, ill admit it though, theres times ive bought some of them, as a machinist, theres been times ive needed a cheap set of dial calibers to butcher to be able to get in to measure some parts, and im not gonna grind the jaws off my good starrett ones, so ill buy the cheapies and grind away, lol

Old 05-26-2008 | 02:34 PM
SportsterBob
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Here's one for ya....Hyundai, the Korean auto manufacturer is building a plant in GA. That's right, Hyundai's will be assembled in America. Were goin' global...As the big three American auto plants lay-off and shut down, the foreign manufacturers are setting up plants stateside.

Granted, the foreign owned plants won't hire UAW workers but they pay what is considered a liveable wage for the region in which they set up camp. This is the future; like it or not!

Old 05-26-2008 | 04:24 PM
sl3slinger
Banned

ORIGINAL: SportsterBob

Here's one for ya....Hyundai, the Korean auto manufacturer is building a plant in GA. That's right, Hyundai's will be assembled in America. Were goin' global...As the big three American auto plants lay-off and shut down, the foreign manufacturers are setting up plants stateside.

Granted, the foreign owned plants won't hire UAW workers but they pay what is considered a liveable wage for the region in which they set up camp. This is the future; like it or not!
if they build here, ill buy, id much rather support American workers, then a handfull of ceos and stockholders outsorceing our jobs!

Old 05-26-2008 | 05:00 PM
glideridemike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 261 Likes on 86 Posts

The electric Clark forklifts are still made here, but most of the others are made overseas. I worked for Clark making forklifts back in the 70's when Japan started to challenge Clark for supremecy. They even out one down in 'the hole' (welding area) with signs all over it saying this lift is going to put you out of work and things like that but we still had slobs ripping the co. off, so a few years later most of us got laid off. They were the first and probably the last to build them here in the
US. And I swear they are still the best forklifts made, at least the older ones are. How often have you seen some old Clark lift still chuggin away?
ORIGINAL: King FLH

I'll bet if you did a little research, there aren't any U.S. made forklifts. Just like the tractor industry, they're all foriegn. Assembled here, profits go offshore. Even Bobcat loaders are now mfg. by a Korean firm.

Old 05-26-2008 | 05:04 PM
big_al
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[sm=happy046.gif]Another one for "Toyota"

Old 05-26-2008 | 07:48 PM
atomic
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: SportsterBob

The reason they are doing this is because the dollar has become so worthless that if they made the vehicles anywhere but here or mexico we couldn't afford them.

Most of the suff made in China is pretty low quality and I try to avoid Chinese made merhandise. I don't have any problem with buying European goods. Things made in Europe are usually high quality. Stuff that I can't find here. Want to find a decent looking 3/4 helmet made in the USA? The helmets I liked were made in Italy so I bought one.

Old 05-26-2008 | 07:52 PM
Beercan321
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: sl3slinger

if they build here, ill buy, id much rather support American workers, then a handfull of ceos and stockholders outsorceing our jobs!

Agreed

Old 06-29-2008 | 11:14 PM
Pantony
Intermediate

Ok I've been sitting back for a while reading all your posts. The common bond is Harley so lets look what all you guys saying things like "I want the most bag for my buck" did around here. Just tour around Milwaukee if you come to see the new museum. I can drive you around town and go down the list. Briggs and Stratton, just about gone moved down south and mexico, Babcock and Wilcox, gone out of business, Allis Chalmers (tractors and turbines) gone, there a Loews there now, American Motors\\\\\\; almost gone, Chrysler still building some things there\\\\\\; Evinrude Outboards, bought buy Bombardier, built a new plant a few years ago and now wants to close that and make them in Canada\\\\\\; A. O. Smith, truck and car frames for the big three, gone, sold to Tower Mfg. and they are closing the doors\\\\\\; Caterpilliar Tractor&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;Bucket Plant, gone, moved production to home base in Peoria Ill., there's a Home Depot there now\\\\\\; The three electricals, Cutler Hammer, Eaton, &amp\\;\\\\\\; Square D all gone closed up and leveled\\\\\\; Mercury Marine (yes THAT Mecury Marine, the same guys that cast all your Harley engine blocks and transmission cases) closing up and making all there stuff down south and in their plant in China\\\\\\; Snap-On Tools, gone, went down south and mexico, shopping mall there now\\\\\\;&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;MILSCO, yeh the company that has been making Harley seats since the 1920's, gone, going under and closing up\\\\\\; Oh and that New Harley museum, thats built on land once owned by The Milwaukee Road (railroad company), gone, bought out by The SOO LINE and moved out of town. One bright spot, Motor Castings Company that made Harley Flywheels and cast iron cylinders is still in business and running strong. So Mr. "I want the most bag for my buck" have a nice ride to Wal-Mart to buy your Harbor Frieght tools, enjoy the store, maybee your son will get a job there after he finishes collage&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;

Quick Reply: layoffs