General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

layoffs

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2008 | 10:12 PM
goodbirds
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Default RE: layoffs

IMHO the time of American manufacturing is past. BUT, we continue to lead in developing technology that is used by other countries that do manufacture goods. I would think that American countries that import manufactured goods from China, et al, first would dictate the design and quality of raw materials, and set standards for manufacture. This means designers, engineers, assemblers, and financial aspects of our economy remain on the top of the economic ladder. What keeps us ahead is the genius of our people, and as someone pointed out, the wave of the future worker in the USA depends largely on education in the upper echelons of business. The fact that here in St George, more Hispanics are working at menial jobs because the more educated people are doing stuff like being general contractors, financiers, college educators, and so on tells the story of how our economy is working in the present day.

Old 05-26-2008 | 01:04 AM
jammerx
Stellar HDF Member
Received 333 Likes on 225 Posts

ORIGINAL: lh4x4

jammerx--You are wrong in so many ways that it is pathetic. It is calculated that the average family in the US saves $2,400/yr at Wal-Mart. I have most of the tools that Harbor Freight sells from micrometers to pipe wrenches. My garage is a celebration of chinese steel and welding. MC wheel chocks, MC lifts both table and floor lifts. Turn around dolly and tire changer. All are at least 50 to 500 percent under major brands. After 15 years of buying and using I find they are well built.

The Average family income is up from every previous decade. The difference is you must keep pace with training and education to suceed. No one else can get you ahead not Obama not anyone just you.

We are still the land of oportunity. It's simply that manual labor paying a living wage is past.

I want the best product at the best price. Why should I pay more just because it is made here?

This is how the world works now. Get with it or jump off a bridge.

[IMG]local://upfiles/49894/3748F6EE50694DD285FE54687C904E62.jpg[/IMG]
KOJA LOL!!HARBOR FRIEGHT TOOLS SUCKS AND YOU KNOW IT.THEY ARE THE BOTTOM OF THE BARREL. ITS THE CRAP I WOULDNT GIVE A GOOD ILLEGAL IMMIGRANT TO WORK WITH. THEY ARE THE ACTUAL JUNK THAT IDIOTSBUY AND THINK THEY ARE SAVING MONEY.

CHINA MART DOES NOTHING BUT CAUSE OUR COUNTRY TOIMPLODE. THE LOSS OF MANUFACTURING HEREWILL BE OUR DEMISE. WE WILL FALL. THE FORMER SUPERPOWER.

WHY?

Because the blood sucking leeches of businesssaw to sell out the average joe.TO MAKE A BUCK. There is no moralobligation anymore to do what isgood for thecountry. Itsevery sob forhimself.No different thenoff shoring your corporation to beat thetaxes. Sure its legal, but isit the right thing to do? Who wins and wholoses?

Not everymother f&*(er in this country is going to be a project manager. Nor should they be. The poor SOB who is humping a rifle in IRAQ is going to come back and 7 times out of 10 will be doing something related to construction. Not everyone goes to college or wants to go. I agree education is astep up and there will be more college jobs in the next decade, but not enough to employ everybody.

I see empty factories and empty towns. Houses in disrepair, towns on the verge of collapse.Trailer parks in disrepair! Can I be the only SOB that sees this? I have been all over, and seems to be getting worse.

I dont buy **** at china mart because I dont believe in what china mart is doing for the county is the right thing for us. Suck every dime out of the country to get ahead. No matter the cost.

Now every poor sob has to shop at china mart cause they lost the good paying manufacturing job (buy good we are talking 16 bucks an hour vice 8 bucks for the service sector job) and now are making half that at the new service sector job they have, and can't afford to shop anywhere else.

"I want the best product at the best price. Why should I pay more just because it is made here?"
This is your best quote. Why the fu*k you riding a Harley? Every major motor publication almost catagorically puts HD deadlast in shootouts against thebig three. Youknowyou could probably get a chinese made motorcyle.Youwouldsave a bundle then.

Old 05-26-2008 | 06:00 AM
mulch63
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First let me mention to you I actually work for the Toyota dealership that services HD. There isn't (to my knowledge) a TRUE AMERICAN BUILT forklift. Caterpillar for years is built with overseas parts....ie Mitsubishi engines,Korean trans. Clark the same stuff, Hyster uses Mazda engines.

jim

Old 05-26-2008 | 06:08 AM
mulch63
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Pantony

forklift99; I was in the forklift business. Made in the US forklifts? Name one? Yales are all Japanese (withPeugeot engines in some), Cats are made by Mitzubishi, Toyota-Nissan-Komatzu all japanese owned, Hyster-lasts half the time as the rest of them and then they are worn out, Raymond in corprate aggreements with Caterpillar hence thier sit-down trucks are Mitzu's. So this leaves what? If they want to take the names off so be it. Do you see what kind of machines they use to machine all the engine parts? Any made here? The industry has left the country. It's a sad state of affairs but it's true. Actually Harley does more to keep things here than you think. Theres a lot that subcontractors make for them here in Milwaukee and they could very easily outsource it all out of the country. Be glad for what you still have.
You know your stuff, friend. Just an update. Toyota recently purchased Raymond.

Old 05-26-2008 | 07:04 AM
sl3slinger
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: jammerx

ORIGINAL: lh4x4

jammerx--You are wrong in so many ways that it is pathetic. It is calculated that the average family in the US saves $2,400/yr at Wal-Mart. I have most of the tools that Harbor Freight sells from micrometers to pipe wrenches. My garage is a celebration of chinese steel and welding. MC wheel chocks, MC lifts both table and floor lifts. Turn around dolly and tire changer. All are at least 50 to 500 percent under major brands. After 15 years of buying and using I find they are well built.

The Average family income is up from every previous decade. The difference is you must keep pace with training and education to suceed. No one else can get you ahead not Obama not anyone just you.

We are still the land of oportunity. It's simply that manual labor paying a living wage is past.

I want the best product at the best price. Why should I pay more just because it is made here?

This is how the world works now. Get with it or jump off a bridge.

[IMG]local://upfiles/49894/3748F6EE50694DD285FE54687C904E62.jpg[/IMG]
KOJA LOL!!HARBOR FRIEGHT TOOLS SUCKS AND YOU KNOW IT.THEY ARE THE BOTTOM OF THE BARREL. ITS THE CRAP I WOULDNT GIVE A GOOD ILLEGAL IMMIGRANT TO WORK WITH. THEY ARE THE ACTUAL JUNK THAT IDIOTSBUY AND THINK THEY ARE SAVING MONEY.

CHINA MART DOES NOTHING BUT CAUSE OUR COUNTRY TOIMPLODE. THE LOSS OF MANUFACTURING HEREWILL BE OUR DEMISE. WE WILL FALL. THE FORMER SUPERPOWER.

WHY?

Because the blood sucking leeches of businesssaw to sell out the average joe.TO MAKE A BUCK. There is no moralobligation anymore to do what isgood for thecountry. Itsevery sob forhimself.No different thenoff shoring your corporation to beat thetaxes. Sure its legal, but isit the right thing to do? Who wins and wholoses?

Not everymother f&*(er in this country is going to be a project manager. Nor should they be. The poor SOB who is humping a rifle in IRAQ is going to come back and 7 times out of 10 will be doing something related to construction. Not everyone goes to college or wants to go. I agree education is astep up and there will be more college jobs in the next decade, but not enough to employ everybody.

I see empty factories and empty towns. Houses in disrepair, towns on the verge of collapse.Trailer parks in disrepair! Can I be the only SOB that sees this? I have been all over, and seems to be getting worse.

I dont buy **** at china mart because I dont believe in what china mart is doing for the county is the right thing for us. Suck every dime out of the country to get ahead. No matter the cost.

Now every poor sob has to shop at china mart cause they lost the good paying manufacturing job (buy good we are talking 16 bucks an hour vice 8 bucks for the service sector job) and now are making half that at the new service sector job they have, and can't afford to shop anywhere else.

"I want the best product at the best price. Why should I pay more just because it is made here?"
This is your best quote. Why the fu*k you riding a Harley? Every major motor publication almost catagorically puts HD deadlast in shootouts against thebig three. Youknowyou could probably get a chinese made motorcyle.Youwouldsave a bundle then.

finally, someone who sees things the way i do, you guys here who dont care where stuff is made need to realize that every plant that shuts down means more tax

Old 05-26-2008 | 08:09 AM
lilrooster76
Tourer

OMG to funny!!!! I was reading this thread and looked to the right....guess what I saw!!! An ad for toyota forklifts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 05-26-2008 | 08:17 AM
sl3slinger
Banned

ORIGINAL: lilrooster76

OMG to funny!!!! I was reading this thread and looked to the right....guess what I saw!!! An ad for toyota forklifts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
omg, your right, lmfao!!!!!!! now thats some funny chit there!

Old 05-26-2008 | 08:38 AM
bcox
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: sl3slinger

ORIGINAL: lilrooster76

omg, your right, lmfao!!!!!!! now thats some funny chit there!
LMAO

Old 05-26-2008 | 08:46 AM
wjl24
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

FYI - Yale forklifts are not made in Japan. They are made in Greenville NC, and Berea, KY.They do not and never have used a Puegot engine, that was Caterpillar. Yale does use a Mazdaand GM engines and also cummins diesels. And, Toyotas come over in a box and are only assembled here. Not that any of this has to do with riding motorcycles.

On a better note, just got back from a trip to Myrtle on the bike. Put on 2,000 miles round trip and it was awesome. On the way home we were about to hit DC traffic on I-95 and a trucker told us a way to avoid it and it turned out to be a shorter trip home and the route was very scenic. We got off of I-95 onto 17 north to 66 west to 81 north and got off that onto 522 north. We were heading back to Youngstown and got on the PA pike after 522. Nocked off about 30 miles.

Old 05-26-2008 | 08:49 AM
*NIGHT TRAIN*
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

One of the biggest problems I've seen in this area is hypocracy on the part of the American worker/consumer...everyone wants top dollar for their labor, but they want to pay flea market prices for their purchases and the labor of others...and bikers can be the worst of the lot about that in their efforts to stick it to the H-D "stealer"...only one person "owns" the dealership, butthere's a lot of good people workin' therejust tryin' to make a livin' who get screwed in the rush to find "Indy's" to save a buck...just sayin...

Quick Reply: layoffs