General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

layoffs

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 06:56 PM
clutchglass
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: layoffs

ORIGINAL: Draxs

So what if their forklifts are made elsewhere. The men who maintain them live here. A lot of HD stuff is made abroad but I don't hold it against the company. They need to be profitable the same as any other company.

If you are concerned about the company not using US made products in the manufacturing of their goods then take your business elsewhere. HD leathers & clothes are not US made either. Is this going to be your next complaint?

We all have options in what we buy. I ride a Harley. I wear Double-H boots, Schott Leathers and Diamond Cut jeans. Those products are made in America but the machines used to make these products might not be US made. Does this make a difference to me? No.

That's a large part of the problem...it makes no difference to too many Americans where the stuff they buy is made. It'll be making a BIG difference to you in another 15 years when china and india become the #1 consumers & we have lost buying power as well as jobs. That is when our kids will begin to pay for that crappy "I don't care where it's made" attitude.
-clutch-
P.S. By the way...yes it is a valid complaint that HD gear isn't made in the good old US of A. They used to sell Brooks (American made) leather...now they sell expensive crap.

[IMG]local://upfiles/10668/4D348A6021514281BCFA88C977080198.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-23-2008, 07:56 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

I don't need no steekin forklift.

Old 05-23-2008, 08:06 PM
Skitzer
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[sm=popcorn.gif]

Old 05-23-2008, 09:18 PM
jammerx
Stellar HDF Member
Received 333 Likes on 225 Posts

Toyota's U.S. Commitment

Since the sale of its first lift truck in the United States to the production of its 250,000th lift truck produced at the Toyota Industrial Equipment Manufacturing (TIEM) facility in early 2006, TMHU has enjoyed a solid presence in the United States. Today, 99 percent of the Toyota lift trucks sold in the United States are manufactured in North America.
Based in Columbus, Ind., TIEM’s facility opened in 1990 and recently underwent an $11 million expansion that included a new National Customer Center (NCC), larger national field office and distribution center. The expanded campus is now the size of 15 football fields with 870,000 square feet of manufacturing and support space.

Old 05-23-2008, 09:35 PM
jammerx
Stellar HDF Member
Received 333 Likes on 225 Posts

ORIGINAL: clutchglass

ORIGINAL: Draxs

So what if their forklifts are made elsewhere. The men who maintain them live here. A lot of HD stuff is made abroad but I don't hold it against the company. They need to be profitable the same as any other company.

If you are concerned about the company not using US made products in the manufacturing of their goods then take your business elsewhere. HD leathers & clothes are not US made either. Is this going to be your next complaint?

We all have options in what we buy. I ride a Harley. I wear Double-H boots, Schott Leathers and Diamond Cut jeans. Those products are made in America but the machines used to make these products might not be US made. Does this make a difference to me? No.

That's a large part of the problem...it makes no difference to too many Americans where the stuff they buy is made. It'll be making a BIG difference to you in another 15 years when china and india become the #1 consumers & we have lost buying power as well as jobs. That is when our kids will begin to pay for that crappy "I don't care where it's made" attitude.
-clutch-
P.S. By the way...yes it is a valid complaint that HD gear isn't made in the good old US of A. They used to sell Brooks (American made) leather...now they sell expensive crap.

[IMG]local://upfiles/10668/4D348A6021514281BCFA88C977080198.jpg[/IMG]
Yeah read this link, its a little dated but what a eye opener. And also you are so right, I go to so many towns across Virginia that are gone, really. The factories have closed and the town dies. HD sell expensive foreign made goods. Honestly the quality is getting to a point of a non issue. The problem is, the reason behind importing doesnt save you or me any money. It makes the stock holder a few more beans. At the cost of your job. It didnt matter to alot of middle class professionals, until walmart wanted to open a bank, and India started engineering products from India. Now it affects more than just Johnny blue collar. It may not affect you if your astock broker, yet anyway. But it will. We cant sell out forever. There will be a price to pay. We will be on our KNEE's, the fallen superpower, and mark my words... NOBODY WILL HELP US GET UP.
Just so you could have a cheap chinese made widget at walmart and save ten cents.

http://www.spiegel.de/international/...439766,00.html

Old 05-23-2008, 10:58 PM
Lopoetve
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: forklift99

did you know harley's largest plant in york, pa. uses predominatley toyota forklifts. with hd's made in the u.s.a. attitude this is surprising. while these lift are "assembled in the u s " they use mostly foreign made parts. apparently hd was concerned about this so they had all toyota decals and emblems removed or covered up so that the public would not see this when they come in for tours. when touring the plant look for the orange forklifts and see if you can find a name on them. given hd's current situation one would think that hd could have bought or leased a lift that was made in the u.s.a. [ yes, there are several companies still making a quality liftin the u s ] money spent on u s made goods might mean more money available here in the states to purchase hd products increasing demand and maybe saving some of these layoffs.

I'm sure they bought the cheapest - that's how most places work, no matter who makes it.

Old 05-23-2008, 11:44 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

jammerx--You are wrong in so many ways that it is pathetic. It is calculated that the average family in the US saves $2,400/yr at Wal-Mart. I have most of the tools that Harbor Freight sells from micrometers to pipe wrenches. My garage is a celebration of chinese steel and welding. MC wheel chocks, MC lifts both table and floor lifts. Turn around dolly and tire changer. All are at least 50 to 500 percent under major brands. After 15 years of buying and using I find they are well built.

The Average family income is up from every previous decade. The difference is you must keep pace with training and education to suceed. No one else can get you ahead not Obama not anyone just you.

We are still the land of oportunity. It's simply that manual labor paying a living wage is past.

I want the best product at the best price. Why should I pay more just because it is made here?

This is how the world works now. Get with it or jump off a bridge.

[IMG]local://upfiles/49894/3748F6EE50694DD285FE54687C904E62.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-24-2008, 12:07 AM
BROWNDOG
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pretty f'ckin pathetic to see so many "proud, American bikers" not give a **** about America when it comes to their own money! Probably the same dumb-*** whiners that blame everyone of life's problems on the president. It is WRONG for HD to buy and re-market all of this imported B.S. The trade deficit last quarter was something like 38 Billion dollars. It aint the goverment's fault. If there wasn't a market for all of this cheap, imported crap, they wouldn't be able to sell it. As long as Joe America keeps buying it, they'll keep selling it and more U.S. companies will go out of business and the trade deficit will grow bigger and everyone will still complain about the government and feel good about it because it feels better than looking in the mirror to find the real problem. If you can afford it and can find it, buy American. It's already pretty darn hard to find a lot of American made stuff butit is only going to get worse if we let it.

Old 05-24-2008, 12:47 AM
*NIGHT TRAIN*
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Jeez, people act as if America doesn't export anything outside our borders...a huge proportion of our National products go to foreign markets...China is the biggest single market for American tobacco products...if the American companies weren't making all that $$ over there, how much do you think your smokes would cost here?

Harley sells a hell of a lot of bikes overseas...a lot of those countries have companies that manufacture motorcycles...if all those countries around the world closed off their bike markets to Harley, how badly do you think it would affect Harley's employment rosters here? And how much do you think a Harley would then cost here? IF the company didn't go out of business?

Let's keep an open mind folks, it's a 2 way street whether you wanna see the whole picture, or not...

And you guys can feed the troll if you want, but I'm done here...

Old 05-24-2008, 03:03 AM
kwoozn
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I saw a Kawasaki and an Accura in the parking lot of "Forklifts R Us" here in the states the other day!!

Quick Reply: layoffs