General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tourbag

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2006, 08:10 PM
wireman2511
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tourbag

who makes a decent tour bag that will hold enough stuff for two people and is waterproof?

Old 02-13-2006, 09:29 PM
superdog48
Tourer
Default RE: tourbag

I have bought the T-Bag Super-T expandable bag has round bag with it. It is not exactly waterbroof But someone has told me to buy American Tourister the name is Space-savers. At Wal-Mart in the luggage area is where they are and the instructions are on the box to squeeze out the air. My wife and I went to the Louisiana HOG Rally with cloth for both of us for three days. We also had nighware and had room for extra that we bought like rally shirts and souvenirs.[sm=feedback.gif][sm=smiley20.gif]

Old 02-13-2006, 10:16 PM
DFTL20
Cruiser

I put the same question out to the forum several weeks ago and received some great feedback. T-bags seem to be popular. I ended up with the Harley SAC bags. It is a two bag set that fits on my sissy bar along with a small bag that can go on top or use by itself. The small bag comes with a heavy plastic liner that you can take out but can be used to hold cold drinks on ice. The bags are water resistant not water proof but I plan on purchasing a cover in the near future. Since the bags are nylon they will breath a little better than leather so I won't get the musty smell from a wet bag. These bags have plenty of room for cloths. I would think it would be a great bag for you and your wife for weekend travel.

Old 02-13-2006, 10:45 PM
spartns
Road Master

I've got the T-bag universal expandable. It's got a rain cover that really works well. I got caught in the rain with it and the contents stayed dry.

Old 02-14-2006, 01:11 PM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Wife and I both have the SAC. They are not water proof, but water resistant. We have ridden in all day rain with them and only had the clothes on the very top of the bag damp.

I now carry heavy black trash sacks. These will fit right over the bags, and can be secured with duct tape or bungee cords.

Regards,

Bill

Old 02-14-2006, 02:41 PM
nscrbug
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: wireman2511

who makes a decent tour bag that will hold enough stuff for two people and is waterproof?

I've been contemplating this bag for some time now.

http://www.coolsac.com/ProductGroup....y_code=LUGGAGE

According to the website, it is TOTALLY WATERPROOF...and it's HUGE...surely enough room to hold stuff for two people. I've been researching travel bags for quite awhile, and I'm pretty sure that this is the largest capacity bag you will find right now.

Old 02-14-2006, 03:21 PM
Neckball
Stellar HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Anyone have the Kuryakin Full Dresser bag? How do you loke it?

Old 02-14-2006, 03:22 PM
Neckball
Stellar HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Anyone have the Kuryakin Full Dresser bag? How do you like it?

Old 02-15-2006, 12:05 AM
U-Turn
Advanced

I'm also looking for the largest total capacity luggage system I can fit onto a bike for 2 up travel for a couple weeks at a time.

My thoughts were something like the largest SAC or Kuryakin bag attached onto the back of a tall sissy bar then the largest barrell shaped roll type expandable bag strapped to the top of that. Another large roll type mounted by headlight and also largest saddlebags as well. Total capacity should be like a small car trunk with all that in place.

I was checking out Kuryakin site also. Does anyone know for sure what is the biggest capacity bag they offer and how much they hold and how they perform? Just multiplying out the dimensions in inches into cubic feet it seems Grantour is slightly bigger than Ultratour but depends on how they measure exactly for things like external pockets vs. true length width and height. Full dresser actually calculates as one of the smallest yet is most expensive and write up goes on about how versatile it is also. Ultra SAC seems to be about as big as largest Kuryakin.

I emailed Kuryakin directly asking specifically what they calculated cubic feet out to be themselves for each of their large bags and there very "helpful" reply follows here word for word...
"These entire dimensions are in inches on our web site. The web site can be found at www.kuryakyn.com
Thank you
Owen"

Not much help considering I was on the website already and site just lists dimensions either expanded and unexpanded but again is misleading because can't calculate for pockets properly.

I know they don’t have the same looks but bikes like BMW's Adventure series use those Aluminum type cases. They do seem to hold a ton also but cost a small fortune unless you make them yourself. Also I have seen cases made by "Pelican" that can be bolted to a frame that attaches to bike. These can be had in absolutely huge sizes but would need a custom frame mount for sure and again the look is more motocross or adventure type than typical HD. If you need the room more than the looks though that type would probably beat everyting out there.

Anyone ever seen such a thing set up for an HD before?

Old 02-15-2006, 12:57 AM
RudeDog
Road Warrior
Received 14 Likes on 2 Posts

I've used these cheap bags on serious trips of over 1500 miles noe way and you seriously should use them. Mine have NEVER leaked and they are easy to strap on your luggage rack.
This classic roll-top dry bag from Seattle Sports (click the link) =>The Explorer bag
is built to stand serious abuse. This dry bag is built to withstand all types of outdoor adventures, from camping to white water rafting. Each bag is constructed with 19oz. vinyl coated nylon and feature a heavy duty bottom.

Dimensions: 11.5in dia x 24in hgt
Capacity: 2500 cu. in. / 41 liters
Weight: 1 lb. 5oz.