Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loud Pipe Problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 10:24 AM
PWHOG
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Loud Pipe Problem

I am after some help from you all

My Softail is fitted with Baloney cut slip on Screaming Eagle 11's and its just failed its annual roadworthy inspection due to the noise level. I replaced them with the stock mufflers to past the test but the induction roar from the air cleaner is louder than the stock mufflers which I don't intend leaving on the bike. I have put the SE11's back on now it has passed its inspection but I am curious if thereis any way I can replace the virtually none existent baffles with some thing a Little quieter but still retain a decent sound. The slip-ons have two bolts at the end presumably to enable the baffles to be changed but there is no one in the UK who supplies SE baffles. I don't mind importing some from the US but I need straight replacements without having to drill any more holes in the existing mufflers.

Your help would be appreciated

Old 04-17-2008, 12:02 PM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Loud Pipe Problem

I'm not aware of any that make them quieter. Big City Thunder is the only company I have seen that makes replacement baffles for SE II's but I've heard they actually make them louder. You may just need to look into replacing the mufflers with another brand that is quieter altogether.

Old 04-17-2008, 12:05 PM
lwszabo
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

or try another shop next time for the inspection. I have never had any of my bikes db levels checked.

Old 04-17-2008, 12:08 PM
StargazerXT12
Road Warrior

WOW, they actually check DB levels in the UK? That's interesting.

Old 04-17-2008, 12:16 PM
FastHoss
Elite HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Mostly we have it good here in the US.You should hear of all the hassles for bikes and insurance,inspections from other countrys even Canada.Give me good old Oklahoma U.S.A !!!!!!

Old 04-17-2008, 12:32 PM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 641 Likes on 399 Posts

The way things are going, major urban areas in the U.S. will likely start testing bikes for emissions and noise levels.

Old 04-17-2008, 12:57 PM
sbdynafan
Tourer

ORIGINAL: PWHOG

I am after some help from you all

My Softail is fitted with Baloney cut slip on Screaming Eagle 11's and its just failed its annual roadworthy inspection due to the noise level. I replaced them with the stock mufflers to past the test but the induction roar from the air cleaner is louder than the stock mufflers which I don't intend leaving on the bike. I have put the SE11's back on now it has passed its inspection but I am curious if thereis any way I can replace the virtually none existent baffles with some thing a Little quieter but still retain a decent sound. The slip-ons have two bolts at the end presumably to enable the baffles to be changed but there is no one in the UK who supplies SE baffles. I don't mind importing some from the US but I need straight replacements without having to drill any more holes in the existing mufflers.

Your help would be appreciated
I have SE II's as well and if you want to get new baffles... Big City Thunder is the way to go. But they will be a little louder on the low end. To beat that on the test you can talk to Big City Thunder and they will most likely tell you to pack some steal wool around the center part of the baffle to help muffle the sound. then once you pass inspection take the steal wool out...

Oh and also when you take out the existing baffles from your SE II's you will need to take the slip-ons off then take the 2 bolts out. it will take some tapping or even a slide hammer from the slip-on end to get the old baffles to realease... they are typically a little rust/welded to the inside of the exhaust and the clamp that holds the slip-on end also pull a little pressure on them holding them in as well.