General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission Drain plug is stripped, can't get it out. An suggestiosn??

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 07:15 PM
bobbyd3
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Drain plug is stripped, can't get it out. An suggestiosn??

To start off I have an 03 heritage classic.

I was going to change my tranny fluid, but I found the drain plug to be stripped.
The Torx bit just turned in place on the first turn of the ratchet so I syuck my head under and saw its all chewed up.
I tried getting it with vice grips, no luck and the next size torx bit is just to big to hammer into it.

Im not sure what the usual routine is to get it out. If anybody knows please let me know.

Old 04-16-2008, 07:34 PM
Mike NY
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: Transmission Drain plug is stripped, can't get it out. An suggestiosn??

Isn't the plug a Socket head as well. I know mine is..

Mike
NY

Old 04-16-2008, 07:40 PM
bobbyd3
Tourer
Default RE: Transmission Drain plug is stripped, can't get it out. An suggestiosn??

Unfortunately it is not a socket head, The plug on their has a torx slotin the end and the outside of it is threaded. Nothing to grab onto.

I have a couple extra drain plugs I ordered as spares and they are the socket heads.

Old 04-16-2008, 07:57 PM
jad
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just to make sure. This is the large plug located between the two Softail shocks? I have seen some folks mistake the oil testing port for the tyranny fluid and it is in very tight with Loc-Tite. If you’re on the correct one no offence meant. Try a metric hex head driver. You may need to get the bike high enough to use a hammer to help drive the tool in as you need to pick the largest that will fit. There are short stubby easy-outs built that also may grip the existing hole. Good luck.

Old 04-16-2008, 08:17 PM
LilBudyWizer
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just for clearification is it the threads or the head that's stripped. The head is pretty easy. You can buy special drill bits that let you drill a hole in the bolt then back the bolt out using the special bit threaded the opposite direction.

Old 04-16-2008, 08:28 PM
bobbyd3
Tourer

Jad thank you. I was at the wrong plug

I just went out with a flashlight and mirror and saw the hex head bolt between the 2 shocks.

The one I was looking at was farther up, like right underneath the actual engine. At first I thoughtit was the oil, as it looked like the oil pan of a car. But I couldn't find any other plugs so I assumed it was the tranny. I would have probly never thought to look between the 2 shocks. So thank you.

Do I need to worry about that other plug? Nothigs leaking or anything I am just not sure if I'll ever need to take it out for any reason.

Old 04-16-2008, 08:32 PM
wallyn
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since it sounds like you know what you are doing and just stripped out the torx bit. YOu should just run down to the hardware store and pick up and easy out set. They are reverse milled drill bits to grab on to stripped out bolt heads.

Good Luck!

Old 04-18-2008, 12:05 AM
Comfortably Numb
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Since it sounds like you know what you are doing
How did you EVER come to that conclusion???

CN

Old 04-18-2008, 01:46 AM
bobbyd3
Tourer

I'll admit I DIDN'T know what I was doing.

But now I know where the plug actually is.
The tranny plug torx fitting was actually stripped as well but was a socket head so it was a non-issue.

Old 04-19-2008, 08:29 PM
GREEN MACHINE
Tourer

What?????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????