General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ok, I did it.

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2006 | 01:54 PM
SpeedsterX
Elite HDF Member
Default RE: Ok, I did it.

Well, you did it.

Hell, we've all done it! (See thread, "Have you ever jsut "dropped" your bike?) LOL! Takes (just alittle) sting out of it when you do it next time (though hopefully never and with noone on back).

Sounds like FIREHAWK took it like a soldier and will heal up. Glad your Lady is ok!

Done it twice in five years and two different Harleys myself (luckily, noone on back). Made me do replacements I probably would have procrastinated on. Not saying it's ever a good thing but I try to look for a silver lining to everything even if I have to use a microscope to see it.

Remember one saying, "SOME OF THE GREATEST MODS I'VE DONE IS BECAUSE I'VE BEEN FORCED TO".

I heard that somewhere.

Did make me realize though that my Harley is made of IRON and not glass and I can handle her as such.

[IMG]local://upfiles/4802/D20291C750DC4E61A5FFE370E19F11D7.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-13-2006 | 02:23 PM
FireHawk
|
Outstanding HDF Member

Yeah it was funny after the fact. I had just got control of myself from trying to not mate with a dang bush that was near by and turned around and both of my ladies are on the ground saying "Well?"

After helping my sweetie up off the ground I said "Well, lets get you up FireHawk and see what I did to you."

She was a trooper and stood right now and didn't complain when I started her back up. I parked her and then checked her out. Like I said, I got off easy.

We completed the day and rode home with no other problems. After we got home I realized that we forgot to stop at a store for something so we hoped in the van and started to pull out the drive way. I made it about 2 feet and heard that sound every driver hate. Flat tire. Turns out that the right front tire had seperated on the steel belt. Left front was about to do the same. IF we had drove it to Tucson instead of FireHawk we would have had a very bad day.

Two font tires and taxi duty for Firehawk later the van is ready for duty again. FireHawk got a nice clean job from me and we are back on the road to work this morning.

I'm looking forward to next weekend for another extended ride. This time north.

Old 02-13-2006 | 02:42 PM
Flying Pilgrim
Road Master

Glad it didn't do any more damage than what it did. I'm always surprised how little damage most get when that happens. Worst would be if it messed up your paint. Oh well.[:@]

Old 02-13-2006 | 02:59 PM
nightrain05
Cruiser

Gladyou both are ok and now you have an excuse to replace levers with the flamed ones all ....not that you should need an excuse.

Old 02-13-2006 | 07:11 PM
Norskie
Advanced

Firehawk,
That usually happens with a full audience watching our daredevil maneuvers. Years ago my wife and were on the Blue Ridge Parkway pulling a trailer and pulled into an overlook and got to close to the sidewalk. The parking lot was slanted to the sidewalk. We didn't fall over but put on quite a show as I hopped along trying to keep from going over. Was embarrasing at the time but funny in retrospect.
Ray

Old 02-13-2006 | 07:22 PM
FireHawk
|
Outstanding HDF Member

Looking back, if I had let out the clutch and gave her a little throttle I may have been able to bring her back. Or I could have had a good scratch.

Hind sight....

Old 02-13-2006 | 09:37 PM
Wolfx
Road Captain

I know what you went thru as I somehow forgot to lower my J-stand when I got home from work awhile back. Glad things arent to bad and nobody got hurt.

I dont know how far back you need to move the tour pak but check your mounting bracket before spending money. With Cheryl and myself being on the large size I was having to do the same thing. Checked my mounting bracket and saw I could safely move it back about an inch and a quarter, so I marked and drilled new holes and put her back together and walla!!! perfect fit. Beats spending money anyday. Just a thought to ponder before whipping out the cash.

ORIGINAL: FireHawk

OK a couple of firsts on Saturday.

1. My sweeting and I went to Tucson and back on FireHawk.

Half way (there abouts) at Picacho peak.
[IMG]local://upfiles/5902/E52025FD2D1C4455991E99F3D04DD693.jpg[/IMG]

And I dropped the bike at a hospital parking lot. I was trying for a parking space with my sweetie still on. Fell over on the right side. No one hurt, FireHawk scratched up a little bit.

Bent my brake lever. I managed to bend it back some. I can live with it until I get the money up for flamed control levers.
[IMG]local://upfiles/5902/C060BC1F9FFF4B24BD211364AF0FC141.jpg[/IMG]

Scratched the crash bar. Slight scratch on floor board and edge of lower.
[IMG]local://upfiles/5902/B177EB1BFE5F4EEA9C21D021FE58CFC8.jpg[/IMG]

Scratched rear crash guard.
[IMG]local://upfiles/5902/A03486F2FD984A24BC2AEE195A74F4AF.jpg[/IMG]

Discovered that I need to move the tour pak back a bit. (I was riding more forward on the saddle. My butt is sore today ) I ordered a tourpak relocater today and pikced up highway bars so I can stretch out some.

All in all not too bad for the weekend. Its over with, I dropped it.

Old 02-14-2006 | 08:38 PM
Harleygirl81
Advanced

SpeedsterX............I laugh like hell everytime I see that picture of the cat wearing the peel for a helmet!!!!!!!!!!!! That is funny as hell! I have a cat and would love to ride her on my Harley but know she would spaz out!!!!!! Trying to get the husband to get a sidecar for his new Street Bob so the black lab can go along. He thinks it would look much better on my new Sportster!!!! HA! Yea right!

Old 02-14-2006 | 08:47 PM
jeepster09
Grand HDF Member

I agree, cat don't look like happy camper though.[sm=roll.gif]

Old 02-15-2006 | 05:14 PM
FireHawk
|
Outstanding HDF Member

He has that 'Bad A$$ Biker' look to him though.

Quick Reply: Ok, I did it.