General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

biker lingo/#$@%&# suicide shift

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 06:30 PM
grumpy irish again
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: biker lingo/#$@%&# suicide shift

glad to see some other old guys that still remember what things were called and how they worked
if you remember a kinket carb and straight leg frames how about the spring on the dist. to pull it backnever hear of a peanut tank anymore or even dog bone risers. all the good stuff is gone.

[IMG]local://upfiles/5757/CB7D8865426E4A5CA69CE97085785DFC.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-15-2008, 06:41 PM
skltr
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: larry harding

i have been looking at this forum for a while now and had to put in my two cents worth.i can't beleave a group of supposed "real biker" types dont know there ain't no such thing as a suicide shift. the shifters mounted on the gass tank or abreveated to a stick on the tranny top were called Jockey shifter or just hand shift. these worked in conjunction with a foot clutch or rocker clutch. these were common on a lot of early harleys, indians, and others. as these clutches left the factory they would stay in the engaged or disengaged position depending on the position of the rocker. the term "suicide clutch" came about when these clutches were modified so they had to be held in the disengaged position like an automobile clutch. the h ot dogs probably thought this was cool, but if you had to stop and didn't get the bike in neutral and it leaned to the left as you stopped well..... get the picture? i just get irritated when i hear knowlledgeable people use the tern "suicide shift" thanks for letting an old fart vent a little.
Welcome, you'll fit in here

Old 04-15-2008, 07:07 PM
Nomad X
Road Warrior

What's a peanut tank? Isn't that on tank on a Dyna? You know,2 small tanks welded together w/seperate fuel caps for each side?[sm=icon_rofl.gif]
Good 1st post. Welcome to HDF.

Old 04-15-2008, 07:54 PM
Riff156
Intermediate

ORIGINAL: larry harding

i have been looking at this forum for a while now and had to put in my two cents worth.i can't beleave a group of supposed "real biker" types dont know there ain't no such thing as a suicide shift. the shifters mounted on the gass tank or abreveated to a stick on the tranny top were called Jockey shifter or just hand shift. these worked in conjunction with a foot clutch or rocker clutch. these were common on a lot of early harleys, indians, and others. as these clutches left the factory they would stay in the engaged or disengaged position depending on the position of the rocker. the term "suicide clutch" came about when these clutches were modified so they had to be held in the disengaged position like an automobile clutch. the h ot dogs probably thought this was cool, but if you had to stop and didn't get the bike in neutral and it leaned to the left as you stopped well..... get the picture? i just get irritated when i hear knowlledgeable people use the tern "suicide shift" thanks for letting an old fart vent a little.
This is the most interesting post I've read on this forum in the (admittedly short) time I've been here.....

Old 04-15-2008, 07:55 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts

Been riding for 41 years, but never ridden a foot clutch/hand shift. But I spent many hours talking with my grandfather who rode bikes with throttles that rolled away from you to speed up, and a manual spark advance on the left grip, and a suicide shift, referring to the fact a rider had to release the handle bar with his left handto shift regardless of road conditions, which were usually rutted, muddy roads before even gravel was used. Unless it was his Indian, which then required the right hand to shift.

Don't know how old "Old Fart" is, but Grandpa was born in 1896 and sold his horse to buy his first motorcycle, which was a Thor, which used bicycle pedals to start. I tend to think he knew what he was talking about.

Old 04-15-2008, 07:56 PM
x2lee
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There you go, hit the forums bitching... Hell of a lot better than whineing.
I wouldnt let what folks here call things get you wound up tho, you may blow a gasket.
Welcome to HDF.

Old 04-15-2008, 08:01 PM
Big P
Cruiser

Thats what im here for to hear it from others that have lived it longer than me!

Old 04-15-2008, 08:15 PM
BadBoyFLSTC
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: pococj

ORIGINAL: BadBoyFLSTC

I alway thought a "scooter" was something a guy named Toad would ride, then I heard someone call their Harley a scooter. Go figure.
Been hearing "scooter", "scooter tramp", scooter trash" in reference to bikers since before I started ridin' in '73.
I thought real bikers called them "scooter tramps", when did they start calling them "scooter trash"? There ya go! Back in the day everyone knew what a Scooter tramp was, then the new guys came along and had to confuse all of us old farts (started riding in '67).

Old 04-15-2008, 08:23 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts

Don't forget "Scooter Sissies" and "Moped Mama's", the terms of endearment afforded PGRiders by the Westboro bunch !

[IMG]local://upfiles/38853/D2C22A19CFBF4E35AB5F47205C156DBC.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-15-2008, 08:28 PM
BadBoyFLSTC
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: MNPGRider

Don't forget "Scooter Sissies" and "Moped Mama's", the terms of endearment afforded PGRiders by the Westboro bunch !

[IMG]local://upfiles/38853/D2C22A19CFBF4E35AB5F47205C156DBC.jpg[/IMG]
Oh no they didn't, LOL . Good thing nobody takes those people seriously.

Quick Reply: biker lingo/#$@%&# suicide shift