General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MAUI JIMS - MAUI JUNK!

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 01:04 PM
gjb1952
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: MAUI JIMS - MAUI JUNK!

Maui Jims arn't exactly known as motorcycle glasses. They are more for cage driving. They are comparable to my Serengetis but I would't wear them bike riding! $350.00???? Thats just crazy. I have an inexpensive pair of Harley glasses I bought at Boston Store 3 years ago and they are fine for riding. I only paid 20 bucks for them. They are pretty cool. And I have a pair of Wiley X day/night transition lens. Great glasses. What you have to look for is if the lens as you look through them gives you a distorted look. If they do then don't buy em no matter what the marketing material says. And try to stick with wrap around. They seem to provide the best protection. Good luck to you.

[hr]

Old 04-15-2008, 01:07 PM
cray49a
Road Master

Right. I think they are made for a porsche driver not a fat guy ridinga hog. Visual. HA!

Old 04-15-2008, 01:10 PM
PhoenixClassic
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're looking for comparable quality with a $350 pair of Maui's, I would suggest Costa Del Mar's Wave 580's in glass. Comparable lens quality, other than Maui's patent on splitting the reflective outside lens coating, which is more cosmetic than optical, anyway.
Try eyesave.com for good deals.

Old 04-15-2008, 01:13 PM
mp
Stellar HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I've been buying $10 sunglasses for a few years now. They tend to get broken or lost, so the cheapies aren't painful to replace. But the last two I've bought may have me changing my habits. One pair that I bought last summer just broke while I was putting them on, and one pair I bought last week broke while I was taking them off. Made in China, of course. Trouble is, some of the more expensive stuff is also made by communist slave labor.

Old 04-15-2008, 01:19 PM
fargbama
Cruiser

I have bought Maui Jims for years , love em . But I would not ride with them . I have a pair of Panoptx which are great for riding .

Old 04-15-2008, 01:26 PM
meanbite
Road Warrior

I have never had any issues with MJ's maybe it's just that model? Hands down the best lenses out there.

Old 04-15-2008, 01:26 PM
golfblues
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,535 Likes on 930 Posts

Riding=WileyX
Everything else=MJ

Old 04-15-2008, 01:28 PM
mimo
Extreme HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Have 2 pairs, the second pair (different model) bought after 3 years of using the first pair (still intact) almost every day.Beautiful optics. The girlfriend has a pair of Maui Jims too and she is very happy with them. Sorry about yours, bad luck I guess.

Mimo.

Old 04-15-2008, 01:29 PM
meanbite
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: golfblues

Riding=WileyX
Everything else=MJ
I'd agree with that. My MJ's I usually wear under my full face which I would reckon you aren't wearing one. For sunglasses though it's hard to beat MJ's.

Old 04-15-2008, 01:33 PM
steelhead
Road Master

My favorite pair of sunglasses ever were Maui Jim's. I had them for 5 years and would be wearing them now if some lowlife SOB hadn't stolen them out of my Jeep. I spend a lot of time on rivers fishing and so have always had top of the line polarized glasses. I have had them all but eh MJ's were my favs. I'm wearing Action Optics now as I get a signigicant discount on them and they are decent glasses but not as comfortable for all day wear like the MJ's. I never had to send my Jims back but had buddies that broke theirs and the repair was quite reasonable.

While I do love MJ's, I would not wear them for bike riding. For that I prefer either a good pair of goggles or sunglasses designed for MCs. I just prefer the better coverage and am not a big fan of polarized for riding. I don't like the wierd hue you get through the windshield or visor with them.

Quick Reply: MAUI JIMS - MAUI JUNK!