General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MSF ERC Course just finished!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2006, 10:46 PM
TxMoores
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MSF ERC Course just finished!!!

Well I just finished the MSF ERC (Experienced Riders Course - Formerly Advanced Riders Course) and it was well worth the time and money. I took it at a local college as opposed to the local HD dealer for several reasons, and as it is the same course with the same instructors at less money, the other reasons are more based on some bias...
Anyway, it was a class of 12, with 5 HD's, 2 Road Tars, I mean Toad Stars, 1 VTX and 3 pleasure-crafts (gold wings)... The guy on the VTX was a good rider... I couldn't take top honors, this time...
Learned a helluva lot about my bike, cornering, evasive maneuvering, being able to do multiple u-turns in less than a city street width without putting a foot down, going through the cones at a decent speed going from lock to lock...
The guys on the pleasure-crafts asked to be put in the front as they said they couldn't tell if their engine was running cause our HD's were too loud... The instructor said he couldn't because they were too slow and would hold up the rest of the class!!! Got a good laugh out of everyone (too bad it was true, damn near lapped one during one set of maneuvers!!)

Old 02-12-2006, 11:01 PM
FireHawk
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: MSF ERC Course just finished!!!

Woo Hoo! Congrats! Sounds like you learned a lot.

Old 02-12-2006, 11:30 PM
MrD
Tourer

Thanks for the info. Was planning the same thing in San Antonio. Wanted to "Further my Education". Appreciate the inside on the other locations available.. Ride Safe..

Old 02-13-2006, 12:47 AM
Red
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 901 Likes on 502 Posts

Congrats!

How long have you been riding? Do you thing the course makes you a better rider?

Old 02-13-2006, 08:34 AM
dc1450
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

ABSOLUTLY!!!! The more you know, the better it gets!
If you have never taken a coures you need to, even if you pick up just one thing it will make your ride more fun and maybe even save your bacon.
If you have taken the Beginer's Rider's Course you get to polish/review what you learned on your own motorcycle. It's something that you can't do on your own as there's on one around to give you feedback, also you get to "play" with your bike in a safe environment.

Rider's Edge.....It's not exactly the same as the ERC. It is basicly the same as the MSF creates the curricula but Harley adds "fluff" that enhances the experience. You can't go wrong with either course you only go wrong with no course.

DC.
ORIGINAL: Red

Congrats!

How long have you been riding? Do you thing the course makes you a better rider?

Old 02-13-2006, 09:29 AM
geno3j
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats, I am signed up for one here once they get enough riders to hold class then we will do it. Helps that the instructor is one of the regular riders in my lil group and he is always teaching us tid bits. Cant wait

Old 02-13-2006, 11:26 AM
gsparesa
Tourer

We are lucky in our HOG chapter. We have two members that put on skill refreshing courses for the chapter. The cost is nothing for our members and it includes two refresher courses a year. One of the instructors teaches the California motorcycle safety course. The other instructor is a city motorcycle police instructor. We all need to practice motorcycles skills.

Old 02-13-2006, 01:43 PM
wild wally
Road Master

Congrats on completing the advanced course! It's not offered frequently around here, so I just ordered the ride like a pro and surviving the mean streets dvds to hopefully get some similar training.

Wally

Old 02-13-2006, 02:34 PM
hdman
Road Captain

Congrats on completing the course. I think we all can benefit from rider courses, no matter how experienced we are. We travel a dangerous road when we feel we have been riding 40 or50 years and nobody can tell us anything about riden' bikes...hdman

Old 02-13-2006, 03:05 PM
nightrain05
Cruiser

i also plan on taking the advanced rider course when spring breaks up here in Pa, been years since I took the beginners course but I still recall some of the tips that I picked up then. I figure the more I know the better I'll be while trying to avoid the "[:@]CAGERS"[:'(]