General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

protection

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 11:35 AM
1200babe
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default protection

Rode from Oceanside to Malibu yesterday- Rock Store- and noticed that since the weather was warm lots of ridershad decided to forego their protective gear. It really stood out as so many riders at the Rock Store are on crotch rockets and enjoying really carving the canyon roads. But at least they spend money and wear really good protective gear. I was wearing jeans with cordura chaps. joe rocket jacket with armour, full face flipup helmet, boots, gloves in other words AGATT. I even saw 2 guys ridingalong with no shirts on at all- Ok- they were body builder types and did look great without shirts- but please... a huge bug, a rock thrown up by a passing car- etc. ouch! Even though it was warm out- I was not sweating in my gear. I know each of us makes choices when riding and the level of protection we select but at one point on I-5 by the power plant a couple came by on a beautiful deluxe- he was in shorts, no gloves, tank top, flip flops, beanie.she was in shorts, halter top, beanie helmet, high heels- all I could see in my mind was them going down at 80mph and what a mess they would look like. It IS your choice- but please- for the sake of your loved ones, family, friends, etc. think about the results of the accident you could have and what you can can do to provide better odds for yourself.

Old 04-14-2008, 12:36 PM
Bluerose
Default RE: protection

It'a all a matter of what you are comfortable with and the risk you are willing to take. It's a choice....something like the folks that want to ride without a helmet.

While I agree with that you should do all you can to minimize risk and I most often ride with an armored jacket, helmet, boots and gloves I don't always where chaps due to the heat. This weekend I was probably one of those you saw riding with jeans and a t-shirt (gloves, helmet, boots), but then I don't ride a rice rocket at 80 mph around a 30 mph curves either.

One day I was riding next to a girl that gave me a lecture on dressing to crash every time I go out. My first thought was that if I expect to crash every second I will never enjoy myself and shuold stop riding. I would rather ride with respect for the road and it's dangers.

Old 04-14-2008, 12:54 PM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Props to you for wearing all of that. I just choose not to. I gear up according to weather. It was 82 here, finally, last Friday and my first T-shirt ride of 2008. No way I could have enjoyed my ride in that heat with all that gear on. But I'm very hot-natured and sweat easily. I've even ridden with shorts on in the summer but only around town in a 35 mph or less zone and for very short stretches. Doesn't mean something can't happen. But, I'm taking extra risk being on 2 wheels anyway and am willing to take extra risk with the gear as well. I probably will no longer ride with shorts anymore, it will be mostly jeans with boots for me, but I have no problem at all with just wearing a T-shirt when it's hot. Can't imagine going shirtless, though. First of all, I'd scare a lot of people and secondly, those bugs do hurt like a MF!

Old 04-14-2008, 01:01 PM
barjbar
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A friend of mine that used to own a motorcycle shop and race bikes told me once to always wear protective gear. Unless it's really hot, in the 90's, I wear leather jacket, kevlar lined jeans, boots, gloves. The only thing I sometimes don't wear is the jacket.

Old 04-14-2008, 01:14 PM
Kodster
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: 1200babe

It IS your choice- but

Exactly, it is the choice of the rider, not yours, thereare no buts abouts it

Old 04-14-2008, 01:22 PM
3power
Outstanding HDF Member

[sm=popcorn.gif]

Old 04-14-2008, 01:41 PM
grumpy irish again
Road Warrior

finally it has gotten warm enough to leave all that stuff at home
yes I have ridden the last two days here in san diego it has been 90+ so a t shirt is all I can stand and all I really want to wear (ok also levi's/boots,fingerless gloves and the darn helmet) next weekend is yuma prison run so will go witout the helmet once across the line.wear what you want I refuse to dress for the crash ....

Old 04-14-2008, 01:47 PM
wdg
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

agree with choice the rest be damned

Old 04-14-2008, 02:05 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

Anything other than Pro-Choice, is Anti-Freedom, and thus Un-American.

Old 04-14-2008, 02:08 PM
GeorgiaGirl
Madame Moderator
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

As a newbie I swore I would wear the protective gear, always, but with last year's heat and drought, I stopped wearing the full face, jacket and chaps once really warm weather hit. Still wear boots, half helmet and gloves though. It just makes riding more enjoyable for me.As Beverly said, finally got to the point where if I dressed for the crash every time I went out, I wouldn't ride. Nothing wrong with wearing all the protective gear if it makes you feel more secure on your ride. It certainly did me for a while.

Quick Reply: protection