Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NORTH CAROLINA SPEEDING TICKET

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 09:44 AM
Bryan TTM
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: NORTH CAROLINA SPEEDING TICKET

hate to one-up on your thread but on the 6th of May i'm due in Murphy NC to pay one....86 in a 55....spoke with the ADA, she said they dont want to put me in jail....just the money....and the appearance....also got the letters from lawyers....prolly gonna just show myself...i dont mind the fine, i was speeding....what i hope happens is the judge allows me to ride in NC this summer...the following weekend i have our spring ride with my clients.....debating on callin the ADA to have the date moved a week later

Old 04-14-2008, 10:43 AM
rguilbert
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From what I understand you can get a lawyer and have the speeding ticket dropped and then pay the court costs and legal fees to a reduced charge of "improper equipment" so you don't have the points on your license. The insurance increase is what really sucks! Good luck!

Old 04-14-2008, 10:54 AM
sleepman54
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My secretary and her husband got a speeding ticket last year in NC. She said all they had to do was sign a form admitting guilt and then they had to pay a fine and court cost but didn't have to make an appearance.

Old 04-14-2008, 12:02 PM
Herr Monk
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just stay out of North Carolina for the next five years. It's easier than it sounds.

Old 04-14-2008, 01:37 PM
CSI
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Until it goes out on warrant, and then, under the Interstate Compact Agreement, your home state suspends your d/l for not paying the fine in NC.

Old 04-14-2008, 01:49 PM
Akitakoi
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I was going to be taking a trip, first stop was going to be in TN to check out the dragon. Then was going to travel through NC. After reading about the things in TN and know NC Maybe I better rethink this thing.[:@] Am I going to get harrassed by the man just for being on a bike???

Old 04-14-2008, 01:52 PM
Steve On 3
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

Dude,

She was speeding. end of sentence. Pay the fine. Part of the reason of having to show up is to make it a little more punitive for you. The money means nothing but the mandatory appearance means you have been inconvenienced. Cops will generally give you about 6-7 mph over the limit and wave as you go by. push it and they will write you, especially an out of state plate. Happens in every state.

Pay up, slow down

Bubba

Old 04-14-2008, 01:54 PM
Big Pig
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: Bryan TTM

hate to one-up on your thread but on the 6th of May i'm due in Murphy NC to pay one....86 in a 55....spoke with the ADA, she said they dont want to put me in jail....just the money....and the appearance....also got the letters from lawyers....prolly gonna just show myself...i dont mind the fine, i was speeding....what i hope happens is the judge allows me to ride in NC this summer...the following weekend i have our spring ride with my clients.....debating on callin the ADA to have the date moved a week later

TRUST me here. You are going to want to get a LAWYER on this. My wife is one but she no longer does traffic, but in NC speeding more than 15MPH over the 55MHP Speed limit and over 70MHP automatically on conviction/plea REVOKES your drivers License which also means that your state will honor NC's revocation in some cases. I wouldn't take the chance if I where you of going "unarmed".

Old 04-14-2008, 02:06 PM
Herr Monk
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: CSI Topeka

Until it goes out on warrant, and then, under the Interstate Compact Agreement, your home state suspends your d/l for not paying the fine in NC.
The Interstate drivers license compact is effective in 45 of the 50 states, but the database is backed up/incomplete at the moment, that may change soon...

The agreement is merely an agreement to look at one driving record. It says nothing about enforcement. The act itself creates a database and nothing more.. What your state does with that information is up to your state. I that around here I know many folks with bench warrants in other states who were still able to re-new their license here with not problems. It would be almost unheard of for another state's law enforcement to actually go out and enforce a warrant issued in another state...

That said, I don't know all the additional compacts each state has entered into with others. I get the sense that back east the ICA might give law enforcement more teeth to act on violations committed out of state. I guess if you live somewhere with too many LEOs with nothing to do, they might take the time to and search for their citizens with traffic violations in other states…

Old 04-14-2008, 03:09 PM
skootchnc
Grand HDF Member

Received 501 Likes on 259 Posts

ORIGINAL: JBaker421

Don't you think the "1860" was "tongue-in-cheek?"
some people have no sense of humor........generally speaking though NC courts want your money... and will drop the charge down to 9 over....