Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NORTH CAROLINA SPEEDING TICKET

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 05:47 AM
wah45
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: NORTH CAROLINA SPEEDING TICKET

It's amazing. A couple years ago my son got a speeding ticket in NC. All of a sudden mail from lawyersin his area started mailing him for representation. I'm from Delaware and never heard of such a thing. I believe he received about 3 solicitations from lawyers. They must have access to upcoming tickets.
[/align]

Old 04-14-2008, 06:33 AM
skootchnc
Grand HDF Member

Received 501 Likes on 259 Posts

Depending on the county......
you're looking at $125-200... most times the DA will stop you as you enter the courtroom and look over the ticket. Seems as everyone gets the ticket reduced to a guilty plea of 9 MPH over the limit, same fine, same court fees.... you just get to keep your license

You can call the courthouse and get the fine/cost before your date. They will take a check.

Traffic violations are a matter of public record, you WILL get a flood of adverts from traffic lawyers. Unless you mouth off to the cop, or the judge, you're better offto just pay the fine

i grew up in NJ.... and there is a split second that you get to talk your way OUT of a ticket. Here in NC the cop knows that no matter what he writes the DA will likely play "let's make a deal" so he just starts writing.

Another ploy, in NC,there is a thing called " Prayer for justice" or some such nonsense..... if you have a clean record, you just pay the fine and costs.... and that's it.... but then you have to NOT get a ticket for 3 years, or the PFJ goes out the window and you get those points on your license

welcome to the 1860's

Old 04-14-2008, 06:49 AM
SteveB FLH
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: skootchnc

i grew up in NJ.... and there is a split second that you get to talk your way OUT of a ticket. Here in NC the cop knows that no matter what he writes the DA will likely play "let's make a deal" so he just starts writing.

Another ploy, in NC,there is a thing called " Prayer for justice" or some such nonsense..... if you have a clean record, you just pay the fine and costs.... and that's it.... but then you have to NOT get a ticket for 3 years, or the PFJ goes out the window and you get those points on your license

welcome to the 1860's
You know that you can always move back to NJ....If you don't like our antiquated legal system.

Old 04-14-2008, 07:35 AM
huffhuff
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

not many states report a ticket to your home state if paid on time. call the number on the ticket to see what you can arrange.

Old 04-14-2008, 07:56 AM
airdog
Cruiser

I'm from NC, had several speeding tickets, and paid several lawyers. Usually around 250-350. Wife may have been doing 14 over or more. at +15 the trooper can take your license on the spot here, or arrest you, take you before a magistrate, and he or she can do the same thing. the +14 over allowed your wife to continue driving home. anything over +5/+10 is also reported to your insurance company after the court date and points are deducted from your license record.

you can go to court personally and request a reduction in speed/fine/points or a prayerful judgement. a PJ like another poster mentioned is ok if your wife doesnt get stopped again within 3-5 years. If she is, the PJ is cancelled and the initial/original fine is again invoked. I've know folks that have represented themselves successfully, but that requires taking time off from work and travelling, etc, etc... I just pay the lawyer. And yes speeding tickets are public information and some 1st year law clerk is at the courthouse every morning. I usually get around 10 of them. My wife is a paralegal and knows a ton of lawyers around the state, so I usually call who she tells me to.

good luck,

airdog

Old 04-14-2008, 08:02 AM
CSI
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

welcome to the 1860's

You mean they have been writing tickets that long?

Old 04-14-2008, 08:45 AM
cjhumphrey
Cruiser

Get an attorney. Court costs and fines will be about $175 plus the attorney's fee for a total of around $350, give or take. Otherwise, that speeding violation is going to cost you much more in insurance premiums. Also, you don't have the option of just paying it and being done. If you don't show up or have an attorney appear for you, the judge will issue an bench warrant for your arrest.

Old 04-14-2008, 08:49 AM
JBaker421
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

ORIGINAL: CSI Topeka

welcome to the 1860's

You mean they have been writing tickets that long?
No, missed the point. They've had courts that long and they sucked back then.

You wouldn't have had nearly the rights you have now, if you have any now.

At least in Oregon, some un-American people have decided that a traffic ticket is just a "violation" and you don't have a right to a trial by jury. It's still a kangaroo court, but not as bad as 1860 when you might have been put in stocks in public for whatever you did.

Don't you think the "1860" was "tongue-in-cheek?"

Old 04-14-2008, 08:56 AM
CSI
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

No difference here, at least when it comes to a Jury Trial, in regards to violations of City Code. Not saying they don't or can't happen, but I have never EVER seen a Jury Trial in the Municipal Court. What ends up happening, is if you don't like the Judge's decision, you pay a $65.00 filing fee, for the privilege of appealing to the District Court level.

Personally, I disagree with having to PAY to exercise your right to appeal.

Old 04-14-2008, 09:40 AM
JBaker421
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I've never had a traffic ticket, but I've witnessed traffic court many times. I used to have a lot of rentals and they lumped small claims and evictions (FEDs)in with traffic.

I was appalled by the callous nature of the judges. The cop says you did it so you did it. Go to the window and pay up. Next?

Peoplewho could afforda lawyer often got off because the lawyer already had the notice of appeal and request for jury trial filled out.

You have to pay for the lawyer, the appeal fee, and then you have to pay court costs including the jury's per diems.

Sucks.