General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Helmit Ticket +

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 05:23 PM
JBaker421
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Default RE: Helmit Ticket +

ORIGINAL: stro1965

I think I have a pretty good ideawhat most people think of thepolice. The people I consider close friends are not police, but civilians, so I hear my share.

"Mainstream America"folks tend to get nervous whenan officeris behind them. They get mad when they get a ticket but generally will admit liability. They realize that the police officer doesn't see a dime of the money generated from that ticket. (In fact, in Nebraska, all revenue generated by traffic tickets goes directly to the local school districts...state law) They are relieved to see an officer coming when their home was burglarized and they realize that there was little that the police could have done to prevent it short of sitting out front every day. They don't want our job and admit it freely.

If the folksin your own inner circle are outside that "norm"it probably says more about you than it does about the police.

What I know for sure is that theridiculous anti-police sentimenthere on HDF is well above and beyond "Mainstream America". And thank God for that or there would be no police at all.
Sorry man, in so many ways you are just dead wrong. I'll concede that it might be your way in your area, but not around here.

You said "They are relieved to see an officer coming when their home was burglarized..." I had a burgulary, they couldn't be bothered. They took the report over the phone, gudgingly. Yet, an hour later when I was driving to Lowes to buy a generator to replace the one that was stolen, I passed 2 fkn speed traps.

I could go on, but around here it's about being a cash cow, and the azzholes themselves are so self-important it's fkn sickening.

Didn't say you are like that.

I'm mainstream America; law-abiding upper middle class executivewithout so much as a tattoo,thanks. Wife's a hospital Administrator. Squeeky clean here.

JB

Old 04-11-2008, 06:04 PM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 709 Likes on 352 Posts

ORIGINAL: Wcross

Just for clarification purposes: Do not refer to "Civilians and LEOs". Unless one is in the Armed forces, you (No matter what your function/job is.) are a civilian.
Just to clarify...I disagree. But thanks.

Old 04-11-2008, 06:17 PM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member

ORIGINAL: JBaker421

I think I have a pretty good ideawhat most people think of thepolice. The people I consider close friends are not police, but civilians, so I hear my share.

"Mainstream America"folks tend to get nervous whenan officeris behind them. They get mad when they get a ticket but generally will admit liability. They realize that the police officer doesn't see a dime of the money generated from that ticket. (In fact, in Nebraska, all revenue generated by traffic tickets goes directly to the local school districts...state law) They are relieved to see an officer coming when their home was burglarized and they realize that there was little that the police could have done to prevent it short of sitting out front every day. They don't want our job and admit it freely.

If the folksin your own inner circle are outside that "norm"it probably says more about you than it does about the police.

What I know for sure is that theridiculous anti-police sentimenthere on HDF is well above and beyond "Mainstream America". And thank God for that or there would be no police at all.
Sorry man, in so many ways you are just dead wrong. I'll concede that it might be your way in your area, but not around here.

You said "They are relieved to see an officer coming when their home was burglarized..." I had a burgulary, they couldn't be bothered. They took the report over the phone, gudgingly. Yet, an hour later when I was driving to Lowes to buy a generator to replace the one that was stolen, I passed 2 fkn speed traps.

I could go on, but around here it's about being a cash cow, and the azzholes themselves are so self-important it's fkn sickening.

Didn't say you are like that.

I'm mainstream America; law-abiding upper middle class executivewithout so much as a tattoo,thanks. Wife's a hospital Administrator. Squeeky clean here.

JB
Maybe that's the problem I've been trying to point out whenever I make the mistake of entering this type of thread. It's different here. It's probably at least a little bit different wherever you go in this great country. The department I work for is just under 100 sworn, serving a city of about 50,000. And we genuinely try to do a good job every day. Do people complain? Of course they do, that's the nature of the beast. I have never seen or heard of a cop around here writing a ticket for 2 mph over the limit. The lowest I can even think of in 18 years was a new guy that wrote someone for 7 over and only then because the guy was drunk. IT JUST DOESN'T HAPPEN, at least notwith enough frequency tomatter to "Mainstream America", but when it's posted on here everyone jumps right on the old bandwagon. IF it did, in fact, happen, the guy should challenge it, he'll probably win and the judge will chastise the officer. He should DEFINATELY challenge the helmet ticket, that's the strangest thing I've heard in a long time!

So many people here want to lump every single cop into the "*******" category based on their own limited experiences. It's no different than lumping all blacks together, or all women together or anything else. It's just plain silly to assume that we're all alike.

It's bad enough to have to put up with idiotic "fat ***" comments from guys like big_al, but al least we can assume that even he knows that not all cops are overweight. You do know that, right big_al? And the ones that are overweight can diet...what are you going to do about that low IQ?

Old 04-11-2008, 06:33 PM
xcelr8
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sorry, Road Warrior, but if it wasn't for the high speed chase/shooting guns/being a legal bully/getting away with every traffic violation in the book.........plus the opportunity to put your hand in the till, would you still be a cop?

We have all seen too many videos of cops being total a$$holes, even after the perp is on the ground, spread eagle, face down.

Face it..........it's all about "macho man".

Old 04-11-2008, 06:44 PM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member

ORIGINAL: xcelr8

sorry, Road Warrior, but if it wasn't for the high speed chase/shooting guns/being a legal bully/getting away with every traffic violation in the book.........plus the opportunity to put your hand in the till, would you still be a cop?

We have all seen too many videos of cops being total a$$holes, even after the perp is on the ground, spread eagle, face down.

Face it..........it's all about "macho man".
Road Warrior? Are you talking to me??? Legal bully? Hand in the till??? WTF are you talking about? For your information,high speed chases are a nightmare andshootings are even worse.

Old 04-11-2008, 06:48 PM
chay48
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, I'm not a cop, and don't want to be a cop, but some people are taking this way too far. Cops put up with way to much crap, and are looked at in such a bad light, just remember there are bad people in everything, everywhere. Don't group all cops together

Old 04-11-2008, 07:07 PM
JBaker421
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Maybe that's the problem I've been trying to point out whenever I make the mistake of entering this type of thread. It's different here. It's probably at least a little bit different wherever you go in this great country. The department I work for is just under 100 sworn, serving a city of about 50,000. And we genuinely try to do a good job every day. Do people complain? Of course they do, that's the nature of the beast. I have never seen or heard of a cop around here writing a ticket for 2 mph over the limit. The lowest I can even think of in 18 years was a new guy that wrote someone for 7 over and only then because the guy was drunk. IT JUST DOESN'T HAPPEN, at least notwith enough frequency tomatter to "Mainstream America", but when it's posted on here everyone jumps right on the old bandwagon. IF it did, in fact, happen, the guy should challenge it, he'll probably win and the judge will chastise the officer. He should DEFINATELY challenge the helmet ticket, that's the strangest thing I've heard in a long time!

So many people here want to lump every single cop into the "*******" category based on their own limited experiences. It's no different than lumping all blacks together, or all women together or anything else. It's just plain silly to assume that we're all alike.

It's bad enough to have to put up with idiotic "fat ***" comments from guys like big_al, but al least we can assume that even he knows that not all cops are overweight. You do know that, right big_al? And the ones that are overweight can diet...what are you going to do about that low IQ?
OK, stro1965, so please answer me this?

If it's so different in your area, please tell me why even on these forums which to me are a melting pot of classes and races, do the LEOs need to come on here flashing the fkn badges in avatars and/or sigs?

Now, I did your sig and I wondered at the time: "Why can't these LEOs leave it at work? Do they really get so much of their inner self-esteem from that badge that theyfeel naked without it?"

Now, sometimes when there is a debate about computers or networks I'll state my credentials, but I don't flash them otherwise, like in my sig or avatar. If there's a question of law, I can see the value of you saying you are a LEO.

But, do you think you are nobody without that badge, or worse, do you think folks will like you better or respect you more for flashing it here?

Just for me, it just strengthens my opinion of the self-important nature of LEOs.

Just sayin...

JB

Old 04-11-2008, 07:17 PM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member

It's got nothing to do with self-importance or lack of identity, at least notfor me. It's really as simple as this, we're proud of what we do. Not ashamed of it, not gonna hide it, not gonna apologize for it. I ride a peace officer bike too, it's my 2nd one. I was proud to serve in the Army way back when and I'm proud to be a police officer now.

Besides,it IS a cool sig...

Old 04-11-2008, 07:23 PM
sldavis
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

20 yrs as a Law Enforcement officer(retired), and all I have to say about this thread is all y'all can "Bite Me".
Lot's of boisterous "who needs the police" going on here. You do, and you know it. You may not want to admit it, but you know it. (unless you have the IQ of a dirt road)

Old 04-11-2008, 07:28 PM
CSI
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Ditto.

Just like the work YOU do on sigs for people.....if you weren't good at it, and PROUD of the work you can do, you most certainly would not have spent hundreds of hours of your own time doing what in essence, is volunteer work for other people.

I spent 12 years on Active Duty in the Army. I am proud of the fact, and on another forum I am a member of, I use the name FormerArmy. Does the use of that name indicate that I expect some special reverance as a result of my service? No, it doesn't.....it is simply something I am proud of.

I have been a LEO for 15 years. I am in the Crime Scene Unit, and also a member of the Accident Reconstruction Unit, as well as a sitting member of my Departments Accident/Pursuit Review Board. NONE of those positions were easy to get into, and they ALL require above average conduct, education, and continuing training. Prior to moving into THOSE assignments, I spent about 7 years in the Traffic Enforcement Unit. Wrote about 20 tickets a day, EVERY day I worked. In those 7 years, I had 2 complaints filed against me, and both of those were ruled by the adminstration to be "Unfounded"....

I do not doubt for a SECOND that there are parts of the country where the "Good-Ole-Boy" system is still in use. I have experience it myself, when I got stopped a few years ago coming down a hill. Was I over the limit by the 9 MPH he wrote me for? Yup.....I was. Was I even IN his jurisdiction when he clocked me? Nope. I was outside of the city limits by over a 1/4 mile....hadn't even made it to the City Limits speed limit sign. BUT, I had out of state tags, and he probably figured (correctly so), that I would not drive 300 miles back to contest the ticket.

Just like not all computer nerds don't still live in the momma's basement playing Dungeons -n- Dragons, not ALL Police Officers are bullies/corrupt/evil/over-bearing jerks.

Quick Reply: Helmit Ticket +