Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Helmit Ticket +

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 12:32 AM
joel85
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Helmit Ticket +

I just had a kid back into me when I was BEHIND HIM at a stop sign. Hardly any damage so I just called it in no big deal. The cop comes to take the report and immediately jumps my *** calling me a liar and there is no way someone would actually back up from a stop sign to hit me so I must have hit him from behind. Good thing the kid admitted what happened or I would have screwed myself by calling in the little accident. I swear most cops fake the training and lack a real brain most of the time.

Old 04-11-2008, 12:59 AM
fj4069
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i don't have to say anything now. it's all been said above. sweet.

Old 04-11-2008, 01:12 AM
CSI
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

ORIGINAL: jandlcars

Went to watch grand daughter play T Ball
saw a friend he was there he plays Soft Ball. he rode his bike some one stole his throw over bags.
On the way home we rode together had no place for batting helmet so he wore it
Started through 25mi zone new chevy 4 dr pickup with hidden lights plus him over said it was the illegal helmet (non helmet state) sites him for it because it has to be legal or not at all
also sited him for 27 in 25 then asked him are the SE2 pipes stock he said no and got a ticket for them also
We were not making noise i did not get pulled over
He was nice to officer. officer said nicely take it up with the judge
we both were just over 25 not 30
Why did he not say my pipes are ticket able
THAT is jacked up. [:@] I wouldn't have wasted the time and energy to stop ya.....

For those of you that would like to find an off duty officer in an alley somewhere....good luck. Most of us have enough class to not hang out in alleys.

joel....I can see the officers point of view.....in 27 yrs of this stuff, I have seen your type of accident just ONE time.....so, I can understand how he felt.

Old 04-11-2008, 01:21 AM
Operator
Advanced

Ive seen it once. Stopped on an incline behind a pos van. Driver goes to pull away but the thing dies and rolls right into the front of my squad. She tried to tell my boss that I hit her, even went to the local media and said we were covering up and I hit her. When her lawyer called for the lawsuit we showed him the in car camera that comes on and records the previous 30 seconds before I turn my lightbar on. That was a fun day. Bummer on your ticket tho, sounds B.S.

Old 04-11-2008, 01:53 AM
joel85
Road Captain

I agree my type of accident was very rare. The officer just had an attitude about blaming me for the accident. I'm sure he was just having a bad day. Didn;t bother me too much really since it all worked out. Could have worked out total opposite though. Trust me If I thought the kid was accually going to keep reversing all the way into me I would have reversed away since no one was behind me. I just thought he was a little too far into traffic and was backing up a few feet. I blamed myself more than him for not backing up and avoiding him.

Old 04-11-2008, 02:26 AM
biz44
Outstanding HDF Member

Why would your friend admit guilt about the pipes? he could have just as well said the bike was that way when he bought it. I guess your friend dont know the story about nice guys finishing dead last.

Old 04-11-2008, 03:10 AM
LTrain
Road Master

ORIGINAL: CoyoteJoe

In Illinois we don't have a helmet law, but when I took my Riders Edge training a couple years ago the instructor told us we have to wear a DOT helmet or no helmet, a non-dot helmet is illegal in the state. We asked about a dew rag or knit cap and he said those were fine, he told us just don't get caught with a non-DOT helmet - we all laughed at the time and the instructor just said he doesn't write the laws.
I read this and called a Chicago Police officer friend of mine who was also a prosecutor (cops get paid more). He said that's bunk. In IL you can wear a DOT helmet, no helmet, or any crazy helmet you want. quote: "I'm not the fashion police."

As to the tickets, do look up every ordinance the officer cited. Sometimes they name the wrong one. I know a guy who "got away with it" because he hit a bicyclist and was cited for failure to avoid a pedestrian.

Beyond that, make sure what the pipe law says. I'm betting it's decibels. I highly doubt the officer had a decibel reader (although they can say "I could hear him from X number of light posts which is Y number of feet, but I think that's baloney).

Get the helmet citation canned and thrown out.
Prove there was no decibel reader.

After you win those two, point out to the judge how the officer was wrong on both of those, and it hinders his credibility on the mover. With the "offender" and a witness saying you were under the speed limit, and the officer's credibility in doubt, you might win.

Or you could just pay them. I'm sure the government would put the money to good use.

Old 04-11-2008, 04:30 AM
so165
Tourer

I agree that the citationprobably did not have to be written, however, I have learned a few things in the many years of working in the LEO field and one of those is that when someone is telling a story usually( not always) but usually theyleave outvery important details. And to the guys who downright despise cops, I understand where your coming from also, but think about it like this, one of your family members is in a rollover crash and they are hurt andbleeding and crying out for help on a dark rainynight and all alone, and the only person that shows up is a cop, I really dont think you would not want him or her there. Anyways, I for one would not have messed withthe baseball helmet at all.

Old 04-11-2008, 06:24 AM
jandlcars
Extreme HDF Member
Default RE: Helmet Ticket +

I can't quote the exhaust law but i looked it up and basically no mods aloud
but nobody gets stopped around county with louder than stock

Old 04-11-2008, 06:28 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 74,717 Likes on 22,477 Posts
Default RE: Helmet Ticket +

An off duty LEO pulls you over and cites your friend? What an AZZHOLE!!

Quick Reply: Helmit Ticket +