General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing chrome switch housings Tips please

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 11:54 AM
mulch63
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Installing chrome switch housings Tips please

No, No....they fall and you'll see 'em leave the housing but never hit the floor[&o]

jim

Old 04-11-2008, 01:00 PM
Ratkiller
Tourer

ORIGINAL: mulch63

A couple things that come to mind : Yes watch how the brass ferrules attach and the direction the slot goes. When removing the switches from the old housings , I just pushed the ties out of the way and took out the small screws. Be very careful when you tighten ALL screws. Use blue loctite and DON'T overtighten any screws. They strip just as you put that last nudge to them. Tighten the two halves together equally. Make sure you watch the brake lever side at the brake switch. I believe the instructions mention slipping cardboard in between the switch boot and lever. Do it !! Make sure on both sides that you lock the notches and grooves of the housing and clamp together before tightening or you will break an ear off. Its not bad just be careful and pay attention to all aspects. Don't expect to tighten right away. Do a dry run and learn.

jim
+1[sm=exactly.gif]

Old 04-11-2008, 01:54 PM
brihvac
Road Warrior
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

ORIGINAL: ut_vols_fan

I just put the switch housings and key caps on last night on my 06 Standard and didn't have any problems. as long you are mechanically competent...just take your time I did use some masking tape to mark the depth and angle of the master cyclinder clamp and clutch clamp on the handle bar before loosening them.
+1

Old 04-11-2008, 01:56 PM
hdwd2000
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

They are not bad. Just take your time.

Old 04-11-2008, 02:12 PM
Lone Watie
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Before you remove the ferrules use a pair of hemostats to clamp on them one at a time, then carefully remove them from the cable ends in the housings and immediately put them somewhere safe, medicine bottle/ziplock/whatever. Worked for me - was very careful, then when I went to install my new throttle cable I found it didn't matter as the new cable came with new ferrules. Oh well.

Old 04-11-2008, 02:20 PM
rh8234
Elite HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

I see a lot of advise about the brassferrels. If you want to guarantee that you do not drop and lose the ferrels, buy a couple spares before you start the project. If you have spares, you won't drop them. If you have no spares on hand, I guarantee you will lose them and the dealer nearest you will not have any in stock. It's Murfy's lay.

Old 04-11-2008, 02:30 PM
dhoward
Banned

Murphy's law too...

Old 04-11-2008, 05:34 PM
wildbill0664
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get a service manual if you don't have one already and follow that to the "t" usually has some extra steps more than the destructions...ps. do it sober

Old 04-11-2008, 06:47 PM
Arcane
Road Master

I think that everyone is wrong about that brass ferrules, I think that they are not brass, I believe that HD has found a new type of material that resembles brass but has the ability to turn invisible as soon as it strikes concrete. Be careful when you working with the throttle cable ends. I had heard how the ferrulescould seemingly disappear and I can assure that it can happen.

Arcane

Old 04-11-2008, 07:20 PM
edeluxe07
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Well you won't like my advice....but for me....for a tiny second I thought about doing my FE and switch housings/cables myself....then I woke up and knew I wouldn't get it put back together right....paid the dealer to keep my blood pressure from rising.... did get a 15% off labor/parts though....that was deal in Feb...couldn't pass it up. Good luck if you do tackle it yourself.... I talked to a couple friends before I had mine done and they had done theirs, but had a helper or 2....I think if you do decide to do the work yourself, have someone there to back you up.... good luck!!!

Quick Reply: Installing chrome switch housings Tips please