General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who Rides With A Guardian Bell?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2006, 07:15 AM
Mike2361
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Who Rides With A Guardian Bell?

Have a chrome one hanging from my right floorboard bracket....so far it has done its job

Old 02-11-2006, 08:36 AM
spartns
Road Master

Got mine hanging from the floorboard mount. It was given to me by my granddaughter. It must work, I've had no gremlin issues. True, the legend states that it must be given to you and that you shouldn't ask for it in order for it to be most effective. I've got an angel on mine. You can see it in my pic.

Old 02-11-2006, 10:50 AM
CharlieZ
Tourer

I have one. Under the bike attached to the frame.

Old 02-11-2006, 11:26 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

I have 2 of them on my Ultra.

Old 02-11-2006, 11:27 AM
blk06rk
Banned

Sure do hanging on the lower bag mount at the rear, Those lil evil dudes fall right off the back.

Old 02-11-2006, 11:49 AM
soos
Grand HDF Member
Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

The Legend of the Ride Bell

Many years ago, on a cold December night, a crusty old biker was returning from a trip to Mexico with his saddlebags filled with toys and other assorted trinkets for the kids at a group home near where he worked.

As he rode along that night thinking how lucky he had been in life, having a loving riding partner that understood his need to roam the highways and to his trusty old pan that hadn’t let him down once in the many years they had shared the road together.

Well about 40 miles north of the border, in the high desert, lurked a small group of notorious little critters known as road gremlins. You know, the ones who always leave little obstacles like, one shoe, boards, and pieces of old tires on the road, and also dig those dreaded potholes for bikers to run over and crash, thus giving the road gremlins a chance to rejoice over their acts of evil.

Well, as the lone wolf of a biker rounded a curve that moonlit night, the gremlins ambushed him, causing him to crash to the asphalt and skid before coming to a stop next to one of his saddlebags that had broken free. As he lay there, unable to move, the road gremlins made their way towards him. Well, this biker, not being one to give up, started throwing things at the gremlins as they approached him. Finally, with nothing else to throw but a bell, he started ringing it in hopes to scare off the dirty little gremlins.

About a half a mile away, camped in the desert, were two bikers sitting around the campfire talking about their day’s ride, and the freedom of the wind blowing in their faces as they rode across this vast country. In the stillness of the night air they heard what sounded to them like church bells ringing, and upon investigating, found the old biker lying along the roadside with the gremlins about to get him. Needless to say, being part of the biker brotherhood, they preceded to ward off the gremlins until the last ran off into the night.

Being grateful to the two bikers, the old road dog offered to pay them for their help, but as all true bikers do, they refused to accept any type of payment from him. Not being one to let a good deed go unnoticed, the old biker cut two pieces of leather from his saddlebags tassels and tied a bell to each one. He then placed them on each of the biker’s motorcycles, as near to the ground as possible. The tired, old road warrior then told the two travelers that with those bells placed on their bikes, they would be protected from the road gremlins and that if ever in trouble, just ring the bell and a fellow biker will come to their aid.

So, whenever you see a biker with a bell, you know that he has been blessed with the most important thing in life—friendship from a fellow biker.
The Purpose of the Ride Bell

Many of us have heard the story about Evil Road Spirits. They are little gremlins that live on your bike. They love to ride, and they’re also responsible for most of your bike’s problems. Sometimes your turn signals refuse to work; your battery goes dead, the clutch needs adjustment, or any of several hundred things that can go wrong. These problems are caused by Evil Road Spirits.

Evil Road Spirits can’t live in the presence of the bell, because they get trapped in the hollow of the bell. Among other things, their hearing is supersensitive, so the constant ringing of the bell and the confined space drives them insane. They lose their grip and eventually fall to the roadway. Have you ever wondered how potholes are formed? The bell has served its purpose.

If you pick up a Legend Bell of your own, the magic will work, but if your bell is given to you, the power is doubled, and you know that somewhere you have a special friend helping to look after you.

So, if you have a friend who doesn’t have a bell, why not give them one? It’s a nice feeling for the recipient to know you care. The bell, plus a good preventive maintenance program by t

Old 02-11-2006, 11:56 AM
HDUC1
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have one on the lower frame. My wife gave it to me.

Old 02-11-2006, 11:57 AM
blueknight
Advanced

Of course I got one, as they say "Your nothing till you got one" or something like that. Got a PD one, works great, needed it last year on the Tail of The Dragon in TN. Momma and I came around corner and no more road, all washed out from night befores rain storm. Stillhave stains on shorts in places, but kept dirty side down and shiny side sideways, all O.K. Stay safe and ride with pride.

Old 02-11-2006, 12:01 PM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

I have a brass bell on the lower right side of the frame that the wife gave me. She also got me a new one when I got the EG Peace Officer's Special Edition. It is chrome and has a little badge on it. I have it hanging on the left handlebar.

Do I like the tradition? Yes. Do I believe in the superstition, No.

Regards,

Bill

Old 02-11-2006, 12:14 PM
NoKenDo
Road Master
Received 50 Likes on 17 Posts

Yes I was given one for Christmas. It has a frog on it. It's not on the bike yet though.
[sm=biker.gif]

Quick Reply: Who Rides With A Guardian Bell?