General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Most reliable HD engines

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2008 | 02:42 PM
o2man98
Novice
Default RE: Most reliable HD engines

Has to be the Revo without a doubt. Double the HP of most others in the poll and still causes the least total problems.

Old 04-10-2008 | 03:18 PM
chiabate
Elite HDF Member

The Evo combined modern metallurgy with old reliable basic technology. Low stress in modern materials = longevity.

Old 04-10-2008 | 04:31 PM
Herr Monk
Elite HDF Member

Are you all serious? it's the Revo by a mile... air-cooled engines expand and contract everytime they get to operating temp and then cool down. They are totally cool, but long term, the Revos have had far fewer problems...

Old 04-10-2008 | 05:29 PM
harleydude68
|
Road Master

Revolutions over a long period of time??????? Um what when did they come out 2003?? The Evo came out 1/2 way through 1984 and was produced until 2000 (I think) that's 16 years. My 86 FXR when I sold her had over 50k and still running strong - VERY strong. The guy who was lucky enough to buy her is a VERY happy man and he will put another 50k before he would have to do any major engine work.

I have no doubt the Revolution is a good motor. But it hasn't been around long enough to make a statement that it stands the test of time. IMO

Old 04-10-2008 | 05:46 PM
Rininhoj
Cruiser

Voted EVO without reading the posts. If the REVO is manufactured to the same tolerances & designed properly, it probably should be the most reliable. Water cooled, co-designed by Porche (sp). I doubt they would get involved in anything that stood a chance of soiling thier name. So though I've yet to ride/own one i would not supprise me if there were some 100k, 125k even 150k plus Revos' with nothing more than oil, plugs & other regular maintanence work. Now for the Evo.... Mine was @ 40k & 20 yrs old when I traded it in. Had seen the worst treatment. Was broke in by a housewife ( not me) I bought it with 3k on the clock. Big plans, no $$$. It lived out doors in the northeast winters for 3 years then sat in agrage after an accident for 11 years. Smoked a little & would have done well to have a top end (due to improper break in) & full gaskets& hoses (20 yr old rubber & cork) but always started & ran. Only major replacement was the voltage regulator. Now a friend that I recently reconnected with has a 1984 FLHT. First full year of production. Oil bath chain ect. So I ask him what he had to put in it since I saw him last. Oil , gas plugs & promised the dealer @ the last inspection that he was going home & replace the rear rotor. !00k on the odometer that was dead for 2 seasons. Estimaed 120k. Not evena chain. Thats why it got my vote.
Rini

Old 04-10-2008 | 05:52 PM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member

It will be hard to beat the longevity of a well maintained Evo.

Old 04-10-2008 | 06:19 PM
Rininhoj
Cruiser

BTW AMF actualy did all the developemnt work on the Evo. Had HD survived under AMF leadership for another model year (history says it wouldn't have made it 2 more days) then the Evo would have premierd under the AMF flag. Probably not a good thing. AMF's problem was watching out for the stock holders & bottom line, not QC & the customer.Not at all likw the MoCo of today :0.
Rini

Public held companies: We screw your friends & pass the savings on to our stock holders!!!

Old 04-10-2008 | 06:27 PM
akenaten
Banned

I guess I would say the Revo.
but if you still had the F head I would say that one. At least from what I've read.

Old 04-10-2008 | 07:52 PM
Twincam Dave
Road Master

It wouldn't be right if I didn't vote for the "twinkie".

Old 04-10-2008 | 08:24 PM
DesertSpeed
Account Suspended

The Evo has more history, but it's looking really good for the Revo. I guess we'll see as the Revos start breaking the 100K mark. I have no doubt mine will be around for a long time. It's a high speed engine, but from the sound you can tell it's coming alive, not stressing. Only time will tell, but it has my vote for now.

Quick Reply: Most reliable HD engines