General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Timm's H-D, Anderson SC

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2008 | 05:34 PM
Bluzmn59
|
Outstanding HDF Member
Default Timm's H-D, Anderson SC

Okay, had a new one happen today. I was about 125 miles into a 400 mile day and turned across a speed bump in a gas station. When I did this, I apparently scraped the kickstand spring and it came off. It is almost impossible to get back on in a parking lot with no tools and it was somewhat damaged so I rode about 5-6 miles holding the stand up with my foot to Timm's H-D. They had me out of there with a new spring in less than 10 minutes. One guy went to get the part while somebody else wrote me up and they popped it on while I was using the bathroom. The icing on the cake was that they only charged me for the cost of the spring - $6.36. That is the cheapest trip I have ever made to a service department.

We always hear the complaints so I wanted to give credit when it is due. Thanks!

Old 04-09-2008 | 06:02 PM
TheBlackBastard
Tourer
Default RE: Timm's H-D, Anderson SC

I had a similar thing happen when pulling into my Dad's driveway in Columbia, SC. Just so you know, here is a cheap trick for getting the spring back on: get some change, preferably nickels and pennies. Bend the spring so that some of the coils separate from each other. Now, stick those nickles and pennies between the coils. Once you've got the spring stretched enough, attach it at both points. Kick the stand up (stretching out the spring) and all the change will fall out. Pick it all up and hopefully there's enough there to treat yourself to a cold beer for a job well done!

Old 04-09-2008 | 06:08 PM
Maxcustody
Elite HDF Member

That is the kind of dealer expierences I like to hear. There are still some left........

Old 04-09-2008 | 07:00 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member

Good to know in case I ever get over that way.

Old 04-09-2008 | 07:14 PM
Fahpah
Tourer

So BB how are you related to McGuiver again?

Old 04-09-2008 | 09:04 PM
Airywhisler
Road Warrior

That should be in the tip of the day tread BB, good info

Old 04-09-2008 | 09:10 PM
cbigbie191
Road Master

ORIGINAL: TheBlackBastard

I had a similar thing happen when pulling into my Dad's driveway in Columbia, SC. Just so you know, here is a cheap trick for getting the spring back on: get some change, preferably nickels and pennies. Bend the spring so that some of the coils separate from each other. Now, stick those nickles and pennies between the coils. Once you've got the spring stretched enough, attach it at both points. Kick the stand up (stretching out the spring) and all the change will fall out. Pick it all up and hopefully there's enough there to treat yourself to a cold beer for a job well done!
Great tip, I will remember this one.

Old 04-10-2008 | 06:20 AM
Steve On 3
Outstanding HDF Member

BB,
You are slicker than snot on a glass doorknob. If you just sit and think about it, it absolutely has to work. Thanks for the tip !

Bubba

Old 04-10-2008 | 06:26 AM
ckgdrums
Outstanding HDF Member

Nice tip, BB. What's the old saying? Necessity is the mother of invention?....and, that there are some clever folks here at the ol' HDForums.com.

Old 04-10-2008 | 07:15 AM
Bluzmn59
|
Outstanding HDF Member

BB is McGuyver!

Quick Reply: Timm's H-D, Anderson SC