General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jackrabbits!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2006 | 05:39 PM
rob_bottom
|
Advanced
Default Jackrabbits!!!!

Well, just got out of urgent care. What happened? I had a collision with last night with a.... yep, a jackrabbit. I was tooling down our dirt road, about 100 feet from our driveway when this bunny on steroids shot out of the brush. I swear this critter must have weighed 15-20 lbs! He hit the front wheel at speed, it snapped to the right and down I went. fortunately there is no damage to the bike other than a bit of bunny blood where his head met the fender. I on the other hand sprained my knee and broke my ankle in 4 places. I actually had to call my wife and have her come help pick the bike up since I couldn't put any wieght on my left leg. Had she not seen the KO'd rabbit lying there, I'm sure she wouldn't have believed me. I'm happy to report that Mr. Bunny survived as well. by the time we got the bike stood up and restarted, he was back on his feet looking for a direction to bolt in. So I now have a stupid story to tell, and 4-6 weeks on crutches .

Old 02-10-2006 | 05:46 PM
Terry TK
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Default RE: Jackrabbits!!!!

I would have never let the bunny get away alive. Fried rabbit is pretty good (OK everyone, it's a wild animal and you can eat them so I don't expect any crap here).

Sorry about your injuries. At least the bike is OK. Get well soon. Now you can spend more time on the forum.

Old 02-10-2006 | 06:06 PM
rob_bottom
|
Advanced

Thanks Terry. Believe me I thought about putting Mr. Bunny out of my misery, but my wife was there, and she thinks the overgrown roto-tillers are cute. With any luck the local coyote pack got him.

Old 02-10-2006 | 06:16 PM
hdman
Road Captain

Sprained Knee and ankle Broke in 4, count em 4 places... MAN, What a Crock.. Sorry to hear about that episode of LIFE in the Jack Rabbit Lane.. and glad your wife was there to help and be a witness... cause that JACK RABBIT story would be hard to Swallow..... Could it have been a JACK A LOPE?
hdman

Old 02-10-2006 | 06:17 PM
Haji4
Tourer

I am glad to hear you will be OK. I still would have had bunny for dinner.

Penny

[IMG]local://upfiles/4130/C8C361F7FA8644BB96590120E15B330E.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-10-2006 | 06:24 PM
rob_bottom
|
Advanced

ORIGINAL: hdman

Could it have been a JACK A LOPE?
hdman
Well the jacks out here (Tucson) are just about big enough to ride . When we first moved out here to the sticks, I saw an animal moving around in the brush about 100 yds from the back porch. I was thinking to myself that someones dog was running loose, until it moved into view. The old silverback males out here easily go 20+ lbs, and stand over waist high to the tips of their ears. I'll try to get a picture this weekend if I can get something to give the rabbit a sense of scale.

Old 02-10-2006 | 06:33 PM
HDF Tech
Banned

Broke your ankle in 4 places, I'd be out looking for that critter right now. I guess it could have been worse. Feel better.

Old 02-10-2006 | 06:59 PM
Snarly
Ultimate HDF Member

ORIGINAL: rob_bottom

Well, just got out of urgent care. What happened? I had a collision with last night with a.... yep, a jackrabbit. I was tooling down our dirt road, about 100 feet from our driveway when this bunny on steroids shot out of the brush. I swear this critter must have weighed 15-20 lbs! He hit the front wheel at speed, it snapped to the right and down I went. fortunately there is no damage to the bike other than a bit of bunny blood where his head met the fender. I on the other hand sprained my knee and broke my ankle in 4 places. I actually had to call my wife and have her come help pick the bike up since I couldn't put any wieght on my left leg. Had she not seen the KO'd rabbit lying there, I'm sure she wouldn't have believed me. I'm happy to report that Mr. Bunny survived as well. by the time we got the bike stood up and restarted, he was back on his feet looking for a direction to bolt in. So I now have a stupid story to tell, and 4-6 weeks on crutches .
Why am I having trouble with this?

Old 02-10-2006 | 07:19 PM
rob_bottom
|
Advanced

ORIGINAL: Snarly
Why am I having trouble with this?
Yeah, I know it sounds like a drunken tale (tail?), but these friggin' rabbits are HUGE!!!!!!! Usually they run away from or parallel to the bike, but this dork went for all the glory .

Old 02-10-2006 | 07:24 PM
Axholio
Tourer

You yankees may find it hard to believe, but I've seen some huge rabbits here in Texas. I don't doubt one of 20 lbs. They look like medium sized dogs with long ears!

Quick Reply: Jackrabbits!!!!