General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

helmet speakers??

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 05:45 AM
ridinlow
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default helmet speakers??

Anyone have any opinions or experiences with helmet speakers connected to their Ipod or mp3 players? Thanks!

Old 04-09-2008, 06:02 AM
TxDeuce
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: helmet speakers??

I have a set that works "okay" when you're not moving above 30-40 miles. But at highway speeds can be hard to hear clearly. Would be okay around town. I've given up on them and would be willing to sell very reasonably. PM me if interested.

Old 04-09-2008, 09:01 AM
thefixer
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thiswas my poston the touring part of the forum....
I think the helmet speakers work great. I have a full face helmet, and you kind of have to play and adjust the speakers to be directly over your ear for the best sound.

Since I don't have a radio on my poice bike, I velcroed the Ipod (in its case) to the left side of the fairing. I have a volume control cable that is connected to the Ipod and I velcro the control **** to the top of my left side switches. I then use a cable management strap (velcro) to tie up the cable so it doesn't flop and scratch the tank. I then connect to my helmet speakers in my full face helmet. I now have control over the volume without removing my hand from the bars, and I can still reach the Ipod if I need to pause or skip songs and not have to fish around in my jacket or tank bag. There is only 1 wire going to my helmet, and I can easily detach the Ipod from my dash when I stop for lunch or whatever.

Old 04-09-2008, 09:40 AM
Aroberts
Tourer

The only experience is I have a helmet for snowboarding that has speakers built it. I love it and couldn't snowboard without tunes anymore. The only experience I have listening to tunes while riding was just the ipod headphones. Anything over 40 I couldn't hear **** but my vance and hines. I figured it was a bad idea having my headphones cranked in my ears and I couldn't hear anything. I should eb deaf by the time I am 50 but hopefully they have corrective surgery for that by than.

Old 04-09-2008, 12:04 PM
ss377
Road Captain

SIL gave me an early Father's Day gift, an iPod to listen while riding. I had to tape the ear pieces on with duct tape. At highway speed, I could hear and understand most of the tunes. Had to turn up the volume a little too high for normal listening. Could not use it at all riding the lawn mower though. I posted something along this line earlier and was told to google "helmet speakers". I did, there are a bunch. I enter "helmet speakers" in ebay and have ordered a set with volume control. May have to get a 2X amp to help save iPod battery.

Old 04-09-2008, 12:17 PM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 668 Likes on 414 Posts

I have speakers in my helmets that I use with my iPod, intercom, CD,stereo and CB. The quality is okay. I've heard J&M has better quality helmet speakers thanHD.

Old 04-09-2008, 12:42 PM
Marksman
Road Captain

I went to the local Micro Center Computer store and bought a pair of reconditioned Sony head phones (about $10.00). I took the strap off, so I had just the little speakers. My helmet has almost like a little pocket in the earpieces. I slipped in the speakers and ran the wire thru the padding. Works great!

Take your helmet up to the electronics store and tell them what your trying to do.

Old 04-12-2008, 10:36 AM
sthorp
Novice

I use them occasionally, as others have said, at highway speeds they do not work the best.

Old 04-12-2008, 12:46 PM
maxum96
Cruiser

I've had two different helment mounted intercom systems, one of them being HD. What ever speakers you buy, it's very important that the speaker is centered over your ear canal and as close as possible to your ear. If you don't do this, the sound will be poor quality with no base.

I use foam spacers to get the speakers up against my ears. But make sure they're not to tight against your ears or your ears will get sore after a while from the speaker pressing against your ears. I currently use an HD helmet intercom setup with my stereo and the sound quality is fine.

Old 04-12-2008, 07:49 PM
badinfluence63
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

J&M Corp offers helmets that already have the speakers installed. The helmet selection is very limited. I purchased the KBC 3/4 and I am very statisfied. J&M Corp is endorsed an advertised here.