General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The smells of a ride

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2008 | 11:47 AM
Ceegardave
|
Advanced
Default The smells of a ride

Sunday was one of those southern days that smelled fresh and clean after the Saturday rain had washed away the pollen in the air. It was a day that, although cool, hinted at the promise of spring with a bright, warm sun. It was THE perfect day for a ride.
As soon as my face was in the wind, I knew the leather jacket was a good choice. The crisp air was invigorating and my senses were awakened.
For the remainder of my ride, I was amazed at the sheer number of things that caught the attention of my nose: the unseen charcoal grill in a backyard, the diesel fumes from a wrecker, a seafood eatery, a large chicken coop, a low swampy area, a hamburger joint, a rotting animal carcass, a pine sawmill, fresh asphalt, cow patties in a pasture, freshly cut grass, burning leaves, and even some things I couldn’t identify.
I know riding a bike always allows us to smell things we’d most likely miss if closed up in a cage, but for some reason, that day was unlike any other I had experienced.
Just sharin’...

Old 04-08-2008 | 11:49 AM
jpowell490
Road Master
Default RE: The smells of a ride

I like to enjoy those too, however it has been to damn cold to enjoy it for me. Anything below about 55 and I am not riding, lol.

Old 04-08-2008 | 11:53 AM
cbigbie191
Road Master

This past week I found myself riding in the rain several times, nothing beats the smell of a new spring shower in Washington. Although we get that smell almost everyday! [:@]

Old 04-08-2008 | 12:10 PM
wdg
Outstanding HDF Member

sounds like the start of a good season

Old 04-08-2008 | 12:18 PM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member

Unlike a cage, when you ride a bike, you're in the environment, not just observing itthrougha sealed capsule. The sensory experience and cornering lean angles are what I likebest about bikes.

Old 04-08-2008 | 12:33 PM
Wally
Elite HDF Member

Sunday was my second ride of the season. Buddy and I went into Quebec and rode some back roads. The smells were all good even the pig farms and skunk. It makes you feel so alive being out in the air like that.

Old 04-08-2008 | 12:35 PM
mountainpharm
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: Ceegardave

Sunday was one of those southern days that smelled fresh and clean after the Saturday rain had washed away the pollen in the air. It was a day that, although cool, hinted at the promise of spring with a bright, warm sun. It was THE perfect day for a ride.
As soon as my face was in the wind, I knew the leather jacket was a good choice. The crisp air was invigorating and my senses were awakened.
For the remainder of my ride, I was amazed at the sheer number of things that caught the attention of my nose: the unseen charcoal grill in a backyard, the diesel fumes from a wrecker, a seafood eatery, a large chicken coop, a low swampy area, a hamburger joint, a rotting animal carcass, a pine sawmill, fresh asphalt, cow patties in a pasture, freshly cut grass, burning leaves, and even some things I couldn’t identify.
I know riding a bike always allows us to smell things we’d most likely miss if closed up in a cage, but for some reason, that day was unlike any other I had experienced.
Just sharin’...

Ditto that. Riding by farms or pastures on the backroads around here, getting whiffs of all the aromas (good and bad)...it takes me back to being a kid when I used to help feed the hogs and chickens with my grandpaw. Good times indeed. One of the best parts about riding, in my opinion.

Old 04-08-2008 | 12:47 PM
ChiefGator
Road Warrior

Ya ever notice that even a Burger King smells great when you are ridin'?

Great post

Old 04-08-2008 | 01:25 PM
anfauglir
Tourer

I have a big giant compost heap that I have to pass on my way to work every day. Not too bad on the cooler days, but anything over 70 and phew. If I take the alternate route to work I pass the Entenmann's factory. That makes for a much better ride.

[IMG]local://upfiles/16725/746E8EC3A27E44918A6890B5ACB5C209.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-08-2008 | 01:25 PM
sharkeydude
Road Master

And thats why we ride.

Quick Reply: The smells of a ride