General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The smells of a ride

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2008 | 02:16 PM
jedsporty883
Tourer
Default RE: The smells of a ride

Loved the description of how youare invigorated on a ride by natural odors. That's something we talk about every time we finish a ride. Now, there are more of the flower scents out there, mixing with various types of burning woods, the charcoal grills, BBQ's. People can't imagine if they are in the cage what they are missing. Soon the Sycamore will leaf out. I don't know if it's the male or female, but the Sycamore puts out a fragrance that is unmatched by any human created perfume. Do you ever ride along and smell somebody's trash burning in the old barrel? You know, like the smell of plastic milk cartons? It takes me back almost 50 years, back when my grandparents would burn their trash in the barrel. It's one of those things that make riding a motorcycle such a special enjoyment.

Old 04-08-2008 | 05:09 PM
Uncle Scrooge
Road Warrior

Bet you folks don't live in feedlot or chicken farm territory.

Old 04-08-2008 | 05:21 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter
Veteran: Navy
Supporter

Yes we also have all the variety of farm "aroma", also the fast food smells and a finer restaraunt downtown. During the fall one can smell the forest and while riding in the trees have all the colors dancing on you especially on a bright day, hot damn lets go riding!

Old 04-08-2008 | 06:34 PM
DamifIknow
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: sharkeydude

And thats why we ride.
+1

Old 04-08-2008 | 06:50 PM
Trash Rat
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: Uncle Scrooge

Bet you folks don't live in feedlot or chicken farm territory.
Wanna bet?? I'm in Nebraska, & Sunday afternoon, I smelled them all!! A couple almost brought tears to my eyes. My riding buddy & I stopped at a stop sign out in the country after passing a chicken farm. I'm more country than he is, & he said, "WTF was that smell? I was laughing so hard at the look on his face, I had to wipe the tears from my eyes. I yelled "CHICKEN CHIT". He yelled back "I AINT A CHICKEN CHIT, I JUST WANT TO KNOW WHAT THAT SMELL WAS". I about fell off my bike laughing. Good times, good times.

Old 04-10-2008 | 10:50 AM
lilrooster76
Tourer

Yeah nothing like having your nose filled with a warm smelling pile of cow poop!!! There is a section of road that I used to travel on my way to work that the first time I rode the bike down I almost lost control!!! I swear it was like hitting a brick wall!! My boss was on front of me in her convertible and I could see her shaking her head and gagging as we both rode past. We still get a kick out of it when we talk about it

Old 04-10-2008 | 11:47 AM
EasternSP
Banned
Veteran: Marine Corp

over heated transmissions, antifreezeand brakes.

Old 04-10-2008 | 01:07 PM
GeorgiaGirl
Madame Moderator

Heading up towards Helen, GA where we ride alot, you do go past alot of chicken houses and even this past Sunday morning when the weather was cool and overcast, going past the houses, it smelled like wet chickens. Phew. Dairies on hot, humid, summer days are definitely whiffous too. But this time of year with the Kudzu and Azaleas in bloom, riding the back roads mostly smells wonderful. I think I notice the smells more at nightI guess because of the limited visual field.

Old 04-10-2008 | 01:15 PM
Scooter Wench
Road Captain

The smell of salt air when getting close to the ocean. I just take a real deep breath, settle in the seat, and lay on the throttle with a big smile on my face.

Old 04-10-2008 | 01:51 PM
drummerart
Advanced

The smells are why I always ride in front of my brother in law and not behind.

Quick Reply: The smells of a ride